Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:05:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

E3 2019

Started by Thursday, June 09, 2019, 12:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Quote from: Twed on June 10, 2019, 02:52:25 PM
That seems like the worst possible input for a Commander Keen game. But that's okay because Commander Keen is only good in the minds of people who had PCs at the time when they didn't have any proper games.

Well yes, I wasn't allowed a console until I was about 11, so I didn't have Mario or Sonic, I had Commander Keen.

I've not had something to be all "They murdered my childhood!" over before, and now it's happened to me... well I don't really care, it wasn't particularly important to me.

Thursday

The host for the PC gaming show is one of the most annoying men in the world.

Yeah they give you a hundred games for a pound forever.

Twed

Quote from: Thursday on June 10, 2019, 05:59:49 PM
Well yes, I wasn't allowed a console until I was about 11, so I didn't have Mario or Sonic, I had Commander Keen.

I've not had something to be all "They murdered my childhood!" over before, and now it's happened to me... well I don't really care, it wasn't particularly important to me.
I can see a reality where Commander Keen would have meant something to me,  but it is absolutely baffling to kids who had Amigas, consoles, etc.

Kelvin

Was it really that bad? Commander Keen was better than loads of home console platformers as I recall. I had the one with a fish that chased you and you had to make it eat littler fish from your arse.

madhair60

Consignia

Commander Keen 4 is probably the 6th best game of all time. If you do the math, it checks out.

Twed

For me the motion just feels very bad in the first game. Slidey, floaty, and with a delay before jumping. I just played 4 briefly to check and it's much, much better in that one. Maybe I'll play all of 4.

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 10, 2019, 02:08:58 AM
Come on Bethesda, are we getting Prey 2 or what?

I've only JUST started Mooncrash. Prey 2 can wait.

Thursday

Quote from: Twed on June 10, 2019, 07:49:26 PM
For me the motion just feels very bad in the first game. Slidey, floaty, and with a delay before jumping. I just played 4 briefly to check and it's much, much better in that one. Maybe I'll play all of 4.

4 and 5 are the better one's yeah.

The series did something that was really cool at the time of having an entire Alien alphabet, then in one level in the 3rd game, gave you an entire translation, so if you were so inclined, you'd go back through the game translating Alien signs.

I think it all said quite basic stuff, but it added to the feeling of mystery, that they're could be more secrets to discover, even after you discover the obligatory secret level.

LanceUppercut

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 10, 2019, 06:23:22 PM
Yeah they give you a hundred games for a pound forever.
This made me lol.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 10, 2019, 07:49:59 PM
Commander not keen

Gonna have to slide you down a grid at this rate.

biggytitbo

Watchdogs Legion looks really interesting, obviously the setting is great and will fulfil all your dystopian remainer fantasies.

Not sure about the game mechanic of constantly switching characters through, it doesn't feel you'd ever get much investment in any one of them.

It does actually sound insanely ambitious though, so presumably they're massively overselling it.

Quote from: Kelvin on June 10, 2019, 08:56:04 PM
Gonna have to slide you down a grid at this rate.

My nob would get stuck

biggytitbo

Also don't want to get all John Cleese about it but Ubisofts London with its vast array of diverse characters, odd how they all had the same Guy Ritchie film cockney accent.

Thursday

Well up for Watch Dogs: Brexit and it's shit accents

biggytitbo

Ohh man not another subscription service.

VelourSpirit

Ubisoft's was the worst yet. Who gives a fuck about The Division and Ghost Recon? Well, a lot of people apparently. I was too down on the Xbox conference, they showed a fuckload of games and a lot of them looked great, even if it was a bit overly cutscene-ish. That Cyberpunk 2077 CGI trailer was awful. Made me completely forget why I was ever interested in the game to begin with, even though I do love Keanu Reeves.
That Ghostwire Tokyo game from Bethesda sounds perfectly up my street so I've got something to look forward to from E3 at least!

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Kelvin on June 10, 2019, 07:27:05 PMI had the one with a fish that chased you and you had to make it eat littler fish from your arse.

I remember that one. Madden NFL 97 it was called I think.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 10, 2019, 09:26:35 PM
My nob would get stuck

yeah cos it's already up a fat kid's arse

edit: I'm so sorry.

It at least makes my witless comment into an actual joke.

Thursday

It seemed to be mainly Tom Clancy games. Even Tom Clancy's Just Dance 2020

VelourSpirit

The Square Enix conference feels like this weird parody where it's just earnestly announcing remakes of beloved classics that don't actually exist. 'And now... Secret Saga X Wonderous Vision 5 S is coming to a new generation. and for the first time... Blenis Unrevolved: Crystal Brave, the most popular MMORPG of all time, has a new expansion pack...'

Kelvin

As with last year, the pisstaking is currently my favourite bit of E3 2019.

Here's Gameinformer taking some good shots at yesterday's big games and announcements, with the bit about Avengers being particularly funny.

https://youtu.be/npMIj8-e4sg

Thursday

Nobody mentioning Breath of the Wild 2 then?

Really liked the tone of that trailer. If they did the equivalent of Majora's Mask for Breath of the Wild then my god.

Neomod

So the new Watch Dogs is set in London.

I hope that Camden has that pizza shop you can get a slice and free salad with garlic dressing at 3 in the morning.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on June 12, 2019, 12:10:23 AM
Nobody mentioning Breath of the Wild 2 then?

Really liked the tone of that trailer. If they did the equivalent of Majora's Mask for Breath of the Wild then my god.

We've been talking about the Direct in the Switch thread, but not much about Zelda. Hope there's more story, and maybe a slightly smaller world - ideally not reusing the landscape from BOTW.

I thought that trailer was great, in any case. The art style continues to impress, and as a lover of Zelda lore, I was excited by the prospect of them trying to destroy an ancient Ganondorf corpse - if that's what was happening.

Thursday

Quote from: Neomod on June 12, 2019, 12:22:32 AM
So the new Watch Dogs is set in London.

I hope that Camden has that pizza shop you can get a slice and free salad with garlic dressing at 3 in the morning.

Yeah I got silly excited at seeing Camden.

We've seen a dozen bad recreations of Central London in games, but seeing a recognisable Camden is something else.

biggytitbo

Intrigued to see Wolfenstein Youngblood was co-developed by Arkane, who were apparently recruited to improve the level design and skills system. Arkane + Wolfenstein could be special.