Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:24:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pancreas Goes To Newcastle

Started by BlodwynPig, June 10, 2019, 01:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Classic World in Action documentary featuring southern posho slumming it up North.

For anyone familiar with Newcastle, especially back in the 80s, there is a hell of a lot to get nostalgic about (Yellow No. 1 bus, I assume Keegan and his mullet (2 quid for the game!, Haymarket, Pilchard Pie, the still active but dying shipyards).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDb4G8ZikHM

On the flipside, jobless posho tory women complaining about jobless northern men not working and scrounging for money...things never change.

the science eel

who the fuck is that murdering 'Shipbuilding'?

Absorb the anus burn

Isnt Anything

Who did actually write it along with Clive Langer in the first place. They didnt record it until after Robert Wyatt had though.

the science eel

It didn't sound like him in the bit I heard. Maybe it was just the quality of the clip overall.

The Culture Bunker

Keegan at that point had more of a bubble-perm from hell than a mullet, surely?

Norton Canes

Reminds me of 'Down And Out', a 1980 feature in the BBC's Nationwide programme where reporter Tony Wilkinson spent a month living rough in London on a budget of four pounds a day. Needless to say it made for bleak watching, and shocking stuff in an age where the 'homeless' were still perceived as the stereotypical grizzled tramp on meths. Can't find it on YT but Wilkinson's account was published as a book, also titled 'Down And Out', copies of which are available from online used book outlets. I didn't own a copy but I did borrow it from the library some time in the early 80's. In one passage that I vividly remember as it demonstrates just how swiftly someone can fall into despair once homeless, Wilkinson describes the act of urinating in a hostel bed as pleasurable because it provided the only source of warmth. Bleak.

Norton Canes

Having said that, I'm sure we've all had nights when we can't be arsed getting up to switch the heating on...

the

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 10, 2019, 10:40:23 AMReminds me of 'Down And Out', a 1980 feature in the BBC's Nationwide programme where reporter Tony Wilkinson spent a month living rough in London on a budget of four pounds a day.

A few months back there was a TV documentary with a similar premise - a journo poses as a homeless man in central London and secretly films what it's like.

It started with him arriving and immediately walking over to a cluster of homeless people drinking. They ask him what's up and he instantly admits that he's sleeping rough out of choice. They immediately get aggressive and threaten him and he fucks off.

What a fantastic journalistic mind, to have formulated a meticulous cover story like that. Really helped him to get inside the subject.

Ed Stafford. Just be glad he did it with his clothes on.

Norton Canes

Was that Days on the Streets with Ed Stafford, the ex-forces guy? Yeah, I was impressed by that. There's been a spate of this sort of show lately - C5 did Rich Kids Go Homeless recently, which wasn't quite as deep but did a good enough job of dispelling the participants' prejudices.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 10, 2019, 09:29:37 AM
Keegan at that point had more of a bubble-perm from hell than a mullet, surely?

aye, his face was not Keegan's, but who was it?

BlodwynPig

So, Parris is seen at the Quayside market looking for a pullover to keep warm. It's odd to think not a decade later you couldn't get a pullover at the market but had your pick on bootleg Gabba and hardcore CDs.

imitationleather

Watching that has caused loads of World in Action episodes to appear in my YouTube recommendations. Which is a good thing, obviously.

It was a bit disappointing that, after demonstrating how clearly he was struggling to live on the dole for just one week, at the end he basically says that benefits are the right amount - albeit with a very vague caveat about how people who were never going to find another job should get more. A system that would clearly never work in reality. Pffff... Fuck off, Parris. It is amazing how guys like him, with their awful Thatcher-fellating, actually seem like decent human beings in comparison to the disasters that currently populate the Conservative party. Time passing is just things getting worse and worse.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on June 11, 2019, 01:24:49 AM
Watching that has caused loads of World in Action episodes to appear in my YouTube recommendations. Which is a good thing, obviously.

It was a bit disappointing that, after demonstrating how clearly he was struggling to live on the dole for just one week, at the end he basically says that benefits are the right amount - albeit with a very vague caveat about how people who were never going to find another job should get more. A system that would clearly never work in reality. Pffff... Fuck off, Parris. It is amazing how guys like him, with their awful Thatcher-fellating, actually seem like decent human beings in comparison to the disasters that currently populate the Conservative party. Time passing is just things getting worse and worse.

Did you recognise your flat (well it was a one storey squalid shed back then) - still had the bodies being dredged from the Tyne outside though