Author Topic: Anna Kavan  (Read 1124 times)

Mark Steels Stockbroker

• Lost in the former West
Anna Kavan
« on: June 10, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »
A new anthology of her shorter fiction has come out. This also includes book reviews she wrote for Horizon in the 40s. Reading around that world, it's clear all the grand old men were complete cunts.

I suppose she fits the bill as a "cult writer" with a small but devoted fanbase. Current 93 did an album inspired by one of her novels, though I can't hear much connecting in it.

PM me if you want a link to the things I've written about her and her books.

Re: Anna Kavan
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 02:00:51 AM »
Ashamed to say all I've read by Anna Kavan is Mercury, because it was recommended by a fan of 'outsider' art and literature. Then later I found people were saying it was pretty much a draft version of Ice.

But Mercury is excellent in itself, and as someone who's never really experience an altered state of consciousness but is fascinated by them it's one of the best pieces of writing in that vein I've read. Trouble with a writer like Kavan is that you can become more interested in the biography than the work, because she's such a fascinating figure though she deliberately obscured the facts about herself and her life.

What would be the first fictional recommendations you would suggest?

Mark Steels Stockbroker

• Lost in the former West
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 08:46:34 PM »
Julia & The Bazooka
Ice
Sleep Has His House
A Stranger Still (one of the Helen Ferguson novels, about the character "Anna Kavan")

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 03:43:26 AM »
Julia & The Bazooka
Ice
Sleep Has His House
A Stranger Still (one of the Helen Ferguson novels, about the character "Anna Kavan")

Thank you. I might PM you if I get more absorbed in her world, as may happen.

Norton Canes

• The leper heart will see you for what you are
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
Read 'Ice' during the couple of scorching weeks we had last summer. Enjoyed it once I realised that the chapters are really meant to connect - there's no narrative consistency, it's all a bit fever dream.