Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:33:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hong Kong Protests: Tiananmen Squared

Started by Urinal Cake, June 10, 2019, 09:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Is it true that China only has 1,000,000 members of the armed forces? Just the thought of a million citizens, even a quarter of that, marching would shit me up if I was in government. The Chinese people could overthrow their shit government if they wanted to surely, the power of tyranny is pretty incredible.

Pseudopath

Quote from: bgmnts on June 10, 2019, 10:43:51 AM
Is it true that China only has 1,000,000 members of the armed forces?

2 million, if you include paras and reserves.

Urinal Cake

From the War Nerd podcast there was a theorist (praised by Chomsky and the CIA!) Gene Sharp who said you need 3.5% of the population to peacefully protest. Used as the basis of the Orange Revolution etc.
Of course never really was idealogically as sound and never works out as planned. https://nonsite.org/article/change-agent-gene-sharps-neoliberal-nonviolence-part-one

Crisps?

Quote from: bgmnts on June 10, 2019, 10:43:51 AM
The Chinese people could overthrow their shit government if they wanted to surely

So could American or British people.

Urinal Cake

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-48821640
QuoteInside the central legislative chamber, one protester sprayed black paint across the emblem of Hong Kong on the rear wall - while another raised the old British colonial flag.
Jesus China, you're making colonial rule look good again.

My guess is a lot of important people are going to get disappeared.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Urinal Cake

Can't wait when people ask for asylum and then the UK refuses because immigrants.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Urinal Cake on July 01, 2019, 10:35:56 PM
Inside the central legislative chamber, one protester sprayed black paint across the emblem of Hong Kong on the rear wall

And there was worse to come in the foyer:

gib

I predict this is all going to kick off bigtime, like when you see some news item on in the background during the first half hour of a film where it ends up all kicking off bigtime.

chveik

Quote from: gib on July 01, 2019, 11:03:55 PM
I predict this is all going to kick off bigtime, like when you see some news item on in the background during the first half hour of a film where it ends up all kicking off bigtime.

mothman

These types of threads are just withering on the vine without Biggy coming in to tell us that the massive public protests are all orchestrated by the American liberal establishment and it's the Chinese authorities who are the real victims here...