Author Topic: Hong Kong Protests: Tiananmen Squared  (Read 563 times)

Hong Kong Protests: Tiananmen Squared
« on: June 10, 2019, 09:43:05 AM »
Trump and Boris to the rescue.

Re: Hong Kong Protests: Tiananmen Squared
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 10:43:51 AM »
Is it true that China only has 1,000,000 members of the armed forces? Just the thought of a million citizens, even a quarter of that, marching would shit me up if I was in government. The Chinese people could overthrow their shit government if they wanted to surely, the power of tyranny is pretty incredible.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 10:55:49 AM »
Is it true that China only has 1,000,000 members of the armed forces?

2 million, if you include paras and reserves.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 10:56:36 AM »
From the War Nerd podcast there was a theorist (praised by Chomsky and the CIA!) Gene Sharp who said you need 3.5% of the population to peacefully protest. Used as the basis of the Orange Revolution etc.
Of course never really was idealogically as sound and never works out as planned. https://nonsite.org/article/change-agent-gene-sharps-neoliberal-nonviolence-part-one

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 10:57:31 AM »
The Chinese people could overthrow their shit government if they wanted to surely

So could American or British people.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 10:35:56 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-48821640
Inside the central legislative chamber, one protester sprayed black paint across the emblem of Hong Kong on the rear wall - while another raised the old British colonial flag.
Jesus China, you're making colonial rule look good again.

My guess is a lot of important people are going to get disappeared.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Are we human? Or are we toilet
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 10:40:35 PM »
Funny innit, culture

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 11:00:17 PM »
Can't wait when people ask for asylum and then the UK refuses because immigrants.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 11:02:39 PM »
Inside the central legislative chamber, one protester sprayed black paint across the emblem of Hong Kong on the rear wall

And there was worse to come in the foyer:

gib

• weak and wobbly
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 11:03:55 PM »
I predict this is all going to kick off bigtime, like when you see some news item on in the background during the first half hour of a film where it ends up all kicking off bigtime.

chveik

• who's gonna feed them hogs?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 11:59:26 PM »
I predict this is all going to kick off bigtime, like when you see some news item on in the background during the first half hour of a film where it ends up all kicking off bigtime.

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 05:57:51 PM »
These types of threads are just withering on the vine without Biggy coming in to tell us that the massive public protests are all orchestrated by the American liberal establishment and it’s the Chinese authorities who are the real victims here...