Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:14:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recognising bands/singers even if you don't want to and didn't think you would.

Started by Icehaven, June 10, 2019, 04:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

(Sorry about the clumsy title) I recently switched on the telly just as the credits of some film were on, and immediately realised that the song being played was a cover of T Rex's Solid Gold Easy Action, then almost as immediately that it was by The Fratellis. I didn't previously know this cover existed, I don't like the Fratellis and I wouldn't have thought I'd be able to recognise a song was by them as I only know that Chelsea Chelsea one and it doesn't sound anything like the SGEA cover, and they don't really have anything idiosyncratic or unique about them that makes them instantly identifiable either.

Does anyone cleverer than me about music and memory etc. know why this happens? Am I a secret lemonade Fratellis lover?

Clownbaby

Someone once asked who sang a song that was playing and I replied with ''The Script'' a bit too quickly, just because I knew it was them. I hope they didn't think for a hot second that I was a fan of The Script

Imagine The Script being your favourite band. I knew someone whose favourite band of all time was The Script. I mean they're not horrible. They're inoffensive, but of all the bands out there to love, The Script is on top? Really? A generally disliked band like Nickelback or Limp Bizkit makes sense to me because at least they have some kind of discernible presence but The Script?

You probably recognised The Fratellis because you have decent ears and although the Fratellis aren't much special they're still recognisable. Not quite the Ann Veal of music. What is the Ann Veal of music? Is it Halsey? She desperately doesn't want to be but she prob is

buzby

Quote from: icehaven on June 10, 2019, 04:01:39 PM
(Sorry about the clumsy title) I recently switched on the telly just as the credits of some film were on, and immediately realised that the song being played was a cover of T Rex's Solid Gold Easy Action, then almost as immediately that it was by The Fratellis. I didn't previously know this cover existed, I don't like the Fratellis and I wouldn't have thought I'd be able to recognise a song was by them as I only know that Chelsea Chelsea one and it doesn't sound anything like the SGEA cover, and they don't really have anything idiosyncratic or unique about them that makes them instantly identifiable either.

Does anyone cleverer than me about music and memory etc. know why this happens? Am I a secret lemonade Fratellis lover?
I'm not a fan of the Fratellis either, but I recognised the cover as them due to John Fratelli's voice (he sounds just like he does on Chelsea Dagger). The film must have been Hot Fuzz btw,

I have a pretty good aural memory and can recognise bands or singers that I don't really listen to or songs I'm not that familiar with. You are a musician so I'm sure you can probably pick up on the 'sound' of bands, even things you have only half-listened to on the radio.

Clownbaby

Yeah you probably just have a good ear icehaven and tbh I always think it's a good thing to have a passing knowledge of things you don't like as well as things that you do. Knowledge is knowledge . I still don't like how quickly I said ''The Script'' though