Author Topic: Blair Witch Game (2019)  (Read 506 times)

St_Eddie

• *The Patron Saint of Scallywags*
  • Silver Member
Blair Witch Game (2019)
« on: June 10, 2019, 07:12:08 PM »

Looks to be every bit as point missing as the 2016 film sequel Blair Witch, what with the monsters covered with twigs running around all over the place.

biggytitbo

• WHAT ABOUT THE GODDAM JAFFA CAKES ASSWIPE
    • theunredacted
Re: Blair Witch Game (2019)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:15:58 PM »
I can't have been the only one who thought 'oooh a new silent hill game' , only to be disappointed when it turned out to be Blair witch.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:49:30 PM »
Blair Witch (witch game)

Zetetic

• Burying isn't the same as killing.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:59:23 PM »
Grotesque waste of everyone's time.

Wouldn't the obvious thing to do be to try to capture some of the rough, improvisational verisimilitude of the film in the actual medium of a game, rather than expending a vast amount of effort badly shoving videotape and screen effects as devices into yet-another-linearish photorealistic adventure game?

Morrison Lard

• the author of The Story of Magic
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 08:07:57 PM »
verisimilitude
CaB and this word.

What gives..

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 08:35:45 PM »
Looks to be every bit as point missing as the 2016 film sequel Blair Witch, what with the monsters covered with twigs running around all over the place.

Very much so.  I'd probably be more interested in playing that clunky early 2000s Blair Witch game trilogy over this thing, even if none of those are particularly faithful to the tone of the original film either.

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 08:45:54 PM »
Very much so.  I'd probably be more interested in playing that clunky early 2000s Blair Witch game trilogy over this thing, even if none of those are particularly faithful to the tone of the original film either.

I was just looking up some footage of that, what the fuck.

I'm guessing this started off as some Resident Evil knock-off and was hastily re-purposed once they got the Blair Witch licence? I mean, this is supposed to be part of the same continuity as the low-budget indie film about three students lost in the woods. This.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 09:04:31 PM »
I was just looking up some footage of that, what the fuck.

I'm guessing this started off as some Resident Evil knock-off and was hastily re-purposed once they got the Blair Witch licence? I mean, this is supposed to be part of the same continuity as the low-budget indie film about three students lost in the woods. This.

It's a crossover & pseudo-sequel to the completely unrelated game Nocturne, which is where those very un-Blair-Witch characters originated.  Why that happened at all I have no clue, but Volumes II and III were separate stories based more closely on the historical lore of the film.

St_Eddie

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »
I can't think of a single way to make an interesting Blair Witch game, whilst remaining faithful to the spirit of the original film, which is preciously why they shouldn't bother.

EDIT: Well, actually, I suppose that a point & click adventure game could work in theory but that's never going to happen because it's too niche, so yeah; just don't bother.

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 09:39:36 PM »
Surely the solution wood be some kind of Pokémon Go type GPS app that lures people out into the woods, where studio employees murder them?

Zetetic

• Burying isn't the same as killing.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 10:16:01 PM »
I can't think of a single way to make an interesting Blair Witch game, whilst remaining faithful to the spirit of the original film,

Not this or this but something that treated the game as an artefact. (And you could commission fifty or a hundred of these fucking things around some vague ideas - and a lore manual if it's important to you - and bin the ones you didn't feel were up to scratch.)

Rather than trying to just take the found-footage stuff tediously literally (which, yes, probably limits you to something point-and-clicky or Her Story-ish or something).

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 10:45:26 PM »
The game should be about some people trying to make a game about the Blair Witch and they get sucked into their own game which the BW is now in control of.

There would be some weird deliberate ludo narrative dissonance whereby the player's control of the game and characters is sometimes disrupted apparently by the BW who ends up haunting and tormenting both the characters in the game stuck in the game, the NPCs in-game who learn that the main characters are trapped inside their game and also the actual player across several layers of the meta narrative.

It would not explicitly break the fourth wall like Kojima and address the player, it would be more like Eternal Darkness and subtly disturb the player's sense of reality and make them feel like the witch really did exist and have some control over the player's inputs.

Some people would truly believe that the witch would end them unless they finished the game but in saving themself, they had to sacrifice the characters to perpetuity trapped within the game they built and which the BW took over. No matter how it ended, people would feel awful for days.

Inspector Norse

• Your Advert Could Be Here! prices start £99/month
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 10:48:17 PM »
They should make a game where you're the camera guy and you have to try to get footage of the actual Blair Witch, except what will happen is you'll brick yourself when something happens, spin round a bit pointing the camera at the treetops, then not know where to go and spend two hours running through procedurally-generated forest and then delete the fucking thing.

St_Eddie

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 11:29:00 PM »
All of these ideas for a Blair Witch game are essentially trying to ram a square peg into a round hole.  There really isn't an organic way to create a Blair Witch game, where the gameplay and setting/lore would work in perfect tandem with each other.  Instead, it's always going to be a case of starting with the film and then desperately working backwards from that and attempting to find some kind of way to support that concept through gameplay.  Concessions are always going to have to be made (hence twig monsters chasing the player through the forest and what have you). Ultimately, The Blair Witch Project simply isn't videogame material because to do it right, the player should never see anything overtly supernatural and let's face it, that would make for an incredibly boring game, or at the very least a non-commercial one.

biggytitbo

• WHAT ABOUT THE GODDAM JAFFA CAKES ASSWIPE
    • theunredacted
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 06:59:17 AM »
Will there be a new Bare Bitch project game aswell?

St_Eddie

• Silver Member
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 04:09:32 PM »
Will there be a new Bare Bitch project game aswell?

You should develop it yourself, biggy.  If you build it, they will cum.