Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:50:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's all gravy

Started by hummingofevil, June 10, 2019, 11:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

I make fucking excellent gravy. All kinds. Do you? Half the world doesn't know it exists and the other half doesn't fucking bother making their own. It's a piece of piss. Totally fool proof. Do you? I do. Do you? Hit me up with your gravy recipes legends!

Danger Man

Pan juices plus vermouth over a high heat.

(Over to you, Pancreas)

pancreas

The best thing to do is to reduce the fuck out of good quality meat stock, ideally skimming it as you go, but that's probably environmentally appalling, quite apart from the enormous amount of time it takes. So mostly, yes, pan juices plus madeira and/or red wine, even a Kallo stock pot depending on the quantity you need, then given a little monter au beurre at the end, or indeed beurre manié if it's a bit on the thin side. Obviously yer 'erbs etc to be boiled in with the juices. I've discovered the neighbours have a bay tree which I can snatch pieces from if I stand on the bins. If you want good colour and depth, caramelising the absolute fuck out of an onion cut in half on the bottom of the pan first will set you up well. Needs to be just on the point of burnt. Then blend it in. Pressure cooker makes life easier also. Quite a few ways to skin the cat actually.

Dex Sawash

I make a nice one from tofu renderings.

edit- meant to be in this thread, https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,73566.0.html

Barry Admin

Add granules to mug, pour on boiling water, stir. Voila. Then dump on chips.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 10, 2019, 11:31:50 PM

...and mushy peas :)

hummingofevil

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 10, 2019, 11:31:50 PM

No wonder Shoulders wanted out.

Barry Admin

If you're feeling flush, you can just get it pre-made in a polystyrene cup from the chippy or chinese. Nice and thick and gloopy, and yeah, some mushy peas, why not? And a pickled fucking egg too, OHH I COULD MURDER A PICKLED EGG HOLY SHIT.

imitationleather

Serving suggestion: Swig it out of a pyrex jug while sat in front of the horse racing.

Sherringford Hovis

hummingofevil

Quote from: pancreas on June 10, 2019, 11:26:09 PM
The best thing to do is to reduce the fuck out of good quality meat stock, ideally skimming it as you go, but that's probably environmentally appalling, quite apart from the enormous amount of time it takes. So mostly, yes, pan juices plus madeira and/or red wine, even a Kallo stock pot depending on the quantity you need, then given a little monter au beurre at the end, or indeed beurre manié if it's a bit on the thin side. Obviously yer 'erbs etc to be boiled in with the juices. I've discovered the neighbours have a bay tree which I can snatch pieces from if I stand on the bins. If you want good colour and depth, caramelising the absolute fuck out of an onion cut in half on the bottom of the pan first will set you up well. Needs to be just on the point of burnt. Then blend it in. Pressure cooker makes life easier also. Quite a few ways to skin the cat actually.

I've got that massive Leith cookbook with all the recipes for the saucier French sauces. Mmmmmmmmm. Have you done those? The brown flour stuff was my most adventurous. Took me forever even before I made the stock before I made the sauce. All invented on the egregious wealth gained from exploting the undeserving indigenous but if you going to have an Empire you might as well benefit from it.

I also got into Austian cooking over last winter and the klara-suppe (excuse my german) made from beef bones with just a dumpling or some spaetzle and chives was one of best meals I have ever made.

The inspiration for this thread was making some roast lamb (marinated in yoghurt, harisa, garlic powder and lemon) for a chips and tomato-cucumber-redonion-mint salad Greek thing and I just whipped up a lamb sauce/gravy from the juices. So good.

Spoon of Ploff

Theres more of grave than of gravey about this thread.

biggytitbo

QuoteOoh like gravy, down to the last drop
I keep mopping it up, mopping it up, yeah, she's my baby
Ooh like gravy, down to the last drop
I keep mopping it up, mopping it up, yeah, she's my baby
Ooh like gravy, down to the last drop
I keep mopping it up, mopping it up

I'm very unsure about the metaphor there.

Endicott

Ray Travez

a few years back, got into an online argument about condiments somehow. "YOU KNOW NOTHING OF ONION GRAVY!" a guy screamed at me, which remains my favourite insult I've ever received.

Jittlebags

Gravy is just the poor man's Veloute.