Author Topic: Your go-to, generally reliable and agreeable music sites and magazines.  (Read 414 times)

Do you have any particular websites, blogs or publications that you tend to gravitate towards for music recommendations or reviews?

NME?

The Guardian?

Mojo?

Pitchfork?

Q?

Rolling Stone?

Spin?

Those 1000 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die books?

Other?

Norton Canes

• The leper heart will see you for what you are
I tend to go here

alan nagsworth

• Hi. I'm in Delaware.
If anyone knows any forums that are good for discussing new music can they let me know please?

wosl

• Silver Member
  • Kermit?
For balance, the 'AntiHoffman', if you like, Albini's Electrical Audio forum is a pretty wonderful place.  Lots of active musicians and artists and studio tech staff with pronounced independent leanings chipping in with practical observations and advice.  Also regularly throws up some savagely funny critical take-downs and counter take-downs, often springboarded by the Answer Prancer polling 'game' they have there, Crap/Not Crap, while its General Discussion section is as sprawling and entertaining and educational as CaB's own General Bullshit.

If anyone knows any forums that are good for discussing new music can they let me know please?

I dip in to https://community.drownedinsound.com now and again - they're a bit of a wet bunch tbh but their thread for each Friday's new releases are a good way to sort some wheat from the chaff.

Roy*Mallard

• Went to Top Shop & all they had were boiler suits

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
I miss The Age of the Blogspot.  सølγ שаябlɛş and Mutant Sounds in particular were endlessly fecund goldmines.

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
I used to like this place: https://spiritualized.band/ which is much more broad-based than the name would suggest. It's pretty much moribund nowadays though.

chveik

• Her Laugh Is Like A Flock Of Tiny Birds
I miss The Age of the Blogspot.  सølγ שаябlɛş and Mutant Sounds in particular were endlessly fecund goldmines.

cheers for that man. I've found a couple of lists of the records these blogs posted.

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
cheers for that man. I've found a couple of lists of the records these blogs posted.

Dunno if they're on those lists, but Mutant Sounds turned me onto two of my favourite skewed pop albums from the '80s underground, Steaming Coil's Breaded which has those Cardiacsy jarring time signature changes married to a more joyful psyche-pop aesthetic (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2WpaIltw0A), and The Momes' Spiralling which sounds like This Heat if they took their dalliances with melody on Health & Efficiency a couple of steps further (they were a spin-off from the excellent band The Work).

These are a few I used to frequent all the time, class acts:

Aquarium Drunkard
Plain or Pan?
Captains dead
17 Seconds
Manic Pop Thrills

Discovered lots of stuff through AD. Great writers.