Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:48:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your go-to, generally reliable and agreeable music sites and magazines.

Started by Dusty Substance, June 11, 2019, 01:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Do you have any particular websites, blogs or publications that you tend to gravitate towards for music recommendations or reviews?

NME?

The Guardian?

Mojo?

Pitchfork?

Q?

Rolling Stone?

Spin?

Those 1000 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die books?

Other?

alan nagsworth

If anyone knows any forums that are good for discussing new music can they let me know please?

wosl

For balance, the 'AntiHoffman', if you like, Albini's Electrical Audio forum is a pretty wonderful place.  Lots of active musicians and artists and studio tech staff with pronounced independent leanings chipping in with practical observations and advice.  Also regularly throws up some savagely funny critical take-downs and counter take-downs, often springboarded by the Answer Prancer polling 'game' they have there, Crap/Not Crap, while its General Discussion section is as sprawling and entertaining and educational as CaB's own General Bullshit.

ArtParrott

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 11, 2019, 09:59:22 AM
If anyone knows any forums that are good for discussing new music can they let me know please?

I dip in to https://community.drownedinsound.com now and again - they're a bit of a wet bunch tbh but their thread for each Friday's new releases are a good way to sort some wheat from the chaff.

Roy*Mallard

Sin Agog

I miss The Age of the Blogspot.  सølγ שаябlɛş and Mutant Sounds in particular were endlessly fecund goldmines.

gilbertharding

I used to like this place: https://spiritualized.band/ which is much more broad-based than the name would suggest. It's pretty much moribund nowadays though.

chveik

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 11, 2019, 04:43:36 PM
I miss The Age of the Blogspot.  सølγ שаябlɛş and Mutant Sounds in particular were endlessly fecund goldmines.

cheers for that man. I've found a couple of lists of the records these blogs posted.

Sin Agog

Quote from: chveik on June 11, 2019, 07:19:06 PM
cheers for that man. I've found a couple of lists of the records these blogs posted.

Dunno if they're on those lists, but Mutant Sounds turned me onto two of my favourite skewed pop albums from the '80s underground, Steaming Coil's Breaded which has those Cardiacsy jarring time signature changes married to a more joyful psyche-pop aesthetic (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2WpaIltw0A), and The Momes' Spiralling which sounds like This Heat if they took their dalliances with melody on Health & Efficiency a couple of steps further (they were a spin-off from the excellent band The Work).

Calistan

These are a few I used to frequent all the time, class acts:

Aquarium Drunkard
Plain or Pan?
Captains dead
17 Seconds
Manic Pop Thrills

Discovered lots of stuff through AD. Great writers.