Author Topic: Harlan Ellison  (Read 479 times)

zomgmouse

• I have party diarrhoea.
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
Harlan Ellison
« on: June 11, 2019, 08:51:11 AM »
My main motivation for starting this thread is to see if anyone knows where I can source the stories "Eggsucker" and "Run, Spot, Run", as I want to be  completionist about the "A Boy and His Dog" series before reading the graphic novel. I read the original short story and it was very vivid and the film is next on my watchlist.

Does anyone have any favourites from him?

surreal

• The monkey and the plywood violin
    • toosurreal.com
Re: Harlan Ellison
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 11:12:30 AM »
I have the Essential Ellison retrospective which is great, and I was collecting the White Wolf "Edgeworks" collections of his work which seemed to just stop abruptly due to rights or something.  To be honest out of those I really loved his essay collections more than the actual works of fiction, "The Harlan Ellison Hornbook", "Over The Edge" and "An Edge in My Voice"

"Strange Wine" and "Deathbird Stories" are the ones you should start with IMHO for short fiction.

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 11:31:01 AM »
I love all his audiobooks read by himself.  He was a tricky, irascible, maybe even obsessive fucker when it came to some issues, but damn if he isn't one of the best...readers I've encountered.  He could be a big, booming American Brian Blessed, or eerily calm and far away, depending on what the situation called for.  I think there are a few volumes of short stories read by him that I'd recommend. 

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 01:13:45 PM »
I love all his audiobooks read by himself.  He was a tricky, irascible, maybe even obsessive fucker when it came to some issues, but damn if he isn't one of the best...readers I've encountered.  He could be a big, booming American Brian Blessed, or eerily calm and far away, depending on what the situation called for.  I think there are a few volumes of short stories read by him that I'd recommend.

He does the voice acting of AM in the I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream video game and he is bloody excellent!

Catalogue Trousers

• With tremendous protein value
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 07:30:57 PM »
Although they deal with long-gone series, I'd also recommend his two Glass Teat volumes of television criticism and general analysis.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

• Lost in the former West
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:58:30 PM »
Jeffrey Is Five.

Also: most of Angry Candy

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:22:06 AM »
I haven't read much of his fiction since I was a kid, but I read an e-book of his account of "city on the edge of forever", & how he was tret by roddenberry & co when the story was shot as a 'star trek' episode. he seems to have spent the last few decades of his life seething & boiling in indignant rage against pretty much everyone he had dealings with. but I liked him.

zomgmouse

• BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 11:14:55 AM »
I had to return a book of his I'd borrowed back to the library and decided to read a quick four-page short story called "White on White" and holy heck what the fuck

surreal

• The monkey and the plywood violin
    • toosurreal.com
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 02:19:27 PM »

Mark Steels Stockbroker

• Lost in the former West
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 05:08:59 PM »

Shaky

• I drink your thread
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 12:37:43 AM »
I had to return a book of his I'd borrowed back to the library and decided to read a quick four-page short story called "White on White" and holy heck what the fuck

I've read bits and piece of his work and can't find anything online about this story. Any more details as it sounds quite interesting?

zomgmouse

• BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 02:00:24 AM »
I've read bits and piece of his work and can't find anything online about this story. Any more details as it sounds quite interesting?

It was published in the The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the World anthology. It's really so short that saying much about it might spoil it but I've managed to track it down in Google books: https://books.google.com.au/books?id=BccqAwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Shaky

• I drink your thread
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 03:22:14 AM »
It was published in the The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the World anthology. It's really so short that saying much about it might spoil it but I've managed to track it down in Google books: https://books.google.com.au/books?id=BccqAwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Cool, cheers for that. I'm on a bit of a "twist in the tale" bender at the moment so will check it out.