Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:14:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A plaque-A plaque

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 11, 2019, 10:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA blue plaque is to be unveiled to remember the BBC's World War Two-set sitcom 'Allo 'Allo at an event which will see many of the cast reunited.

The British Comedy Society (BCS) is unveiling the plaque at Lynford Hall, Mundford, near Thetford, Norfolk, where exteriors of Café René were filmed.

The event will take place on 7 September.

BCS director Aaron Brown said it was important to remember one of the "great British comedies"...

Those expected to attend the unveiling include Vicki Michelle, who played Yvette; Kim Hartman, who played Helga; Guy Siner, who played Gruber; Kirsten Cooke, who played Michelle; Richard Gibson, who played Herr Flick; Francesca Gonshaw, who played Maria; John D. Collins, who played Fairfax; Arthur Bostrom, who played Crabtree, and Sue Hodge, who played Mimi...

Any Norfolk Cabbers planning to go along? I haven't watched Allo Allo for decades, it was never very good was it?

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 11, 2019, 10:06:38 AM
Any Norfolk Cabbers planning to go along? I haven't watched Allo Allo for decades, it was never very good was it?

I was a fan of 'Allo 'Allo when it first appeared though possibly only because Vicki Michelle fueled many a teenage fantasy.

My Dad was a huge fan and I recall one particular scene where he laughed out loud for about ten minutes. It was where Rene was up before a firing squad and there was some confusion as to if the bullets had been swapped for blanks. As Rene lay prone and  'pretend' dying the characters gathered round and asked for his final words. These turned out to be "Zere ees a thistle up my buum" or words to that effect. They don't write stuff like that anymore. 

On the subject of comedy plaques I took a look at the BCS website https://www.comedy.co.uk/british_comedy_society/plaques/ and some of the installed places seem a little odd. Could CaBers help them out by suggesting some more apposite locations?

I would kick things off with 69 Dean Street, Soho and/or 28a Leicester Square, London both former homes of the Comedy Store.

Or even this one, which was a temporary 'fake' plaque near Hammersmith Broadway