Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:44:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TV licences to be scrapped for many over-75s

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 11, 2019, 11:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

He's right but in a really annoying way that makes it wrong. That is his curse.

I think it's pretty hard to defend the MSM whatever side of the fence you're on in 2019.

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 11, 2019, 01:05:31 PM
Yeah, well hope your underpants burn down.

I love how conservative and defensive some people get about it, but mainstream media needs to burn down, whether that's sky, bbc, the guardian, the times etc etc. We'll never be able to move on as a civilization until we free ourselves of their shackles.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twed on June 11, 2019, 01:19:21 PM
He's right but in a really annoying way that makes it wrong. That is his curse.

If it's sooooo wrong, why does it taste soooooo good

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 11, 2019, 01:17:52 PM
He's right. If you haven't noticed the race to the bottom in recent decades. The MSM are all part of the wider joke on us.

That might well be true.  I'm not sure it's so much a "race to the bottom", more an opening of ones eyes.  Nevertheless, smashing the whole lot, leaving us at the mercy of outfits like Breitbart is no answer either.

In some ways, I see a parallel with the EU here.  Sometimes throwing out all the toys and having a good wash down with Napalm is not the only or even the best, solution.

shiftwork2

Like any reasonable person I don't think over-75s should pay the normal rate.  I think they should pay five times the normal rate seeing as they spend all waking hours watching the fucking telly.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 11, 2019, 12:32:07 PM
Are you aware of how neoliberal this is?

It's almost as if 60-something baby boomers have both purchasing power and time on their hands.

ITV are well aware their key demographic is pretty much 60 year old women; it's very easy to sell advertising space for.

Ad-supported streaming is changing things a little, because of the way campaigns are targeted and the fact you don't have one linear channel to fill, people ask 'why aren't we targeting these people over here'?

Twed

Icehaven

For as long as BBC services are going to be accessible in the same way as other 'free' TV and radio channels regardless of whether or not you're paying for a licence, in a way that subscription services like Netflix where you have to pay upfront prior to accessing them aren't, they're too different to compare. I've no idea of the technological demands it'd take to set the BBC up in that way but coupled with the inevitable plummet in paying customers it'd prompt, I imagine it wouldn't seriously be on the cards even if it was possible.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 11, 2019, 12:53:53 PM

Hmm, that values Panorama at £3.8bn, can't help feeling you have exaggerated there.

Neolibbytitbo

Small Man Big Horse

Mother was genuinely excited when she turned 75 last year and no longer had to pay the licence fee, kept on going on and on about it. So now she'll go on and on about having to pay it again, and for that reason alone I'm afraid I am going to have kill everyone involved in the decision. Ah well, I've heard prison has free tv at least so that's something.

Twed

Has anybody actually reached the age of 75 without realising that nobody's going to fucking touch them for not paying the license fee?

Quote from: Twed on June 11, 2019, 02:00:30 PM
Has anybody actually reached the age of 75 without realising that nobody's going to fucking touch them for not paying the license fee?

Capita goons gonna goon.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 11, 2019, 01:05:31 PM
Yeah, well hope your underpants burn down.

I love how conservative and defensive some people get about it, but mainstream media needs to burn down, whether that's sky, bbc, the guardian, the times etc etc. We'll never be able to move on as a civilization until we free ourselves of their shackles.

You're in no position to lecture about shackles. You're an enabler of the shackles of the gambling industry.

Twed

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 11, 2019, 02:13:40 PM
You're in no position to lecture about shackles. You're an enabler of the shackles of the gambling industry.
Yeah. I briefly made the moral mistake of working for a gambling software company. We had a meeting with Amazon once. They traveled to our offices before realising we were a gambling company, and we had an awkward meeting where they said they couldn't provide services to us due to a moral clause in their conditions.

So you're working in an industry that even Amazon won't touch, biggy. Have you thought about moving to a different company where you wouldn't have this huge moral contradiction to deal with?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 11, 2019, 02:13:40 PM

Am I? How?

chveik

I'd love to see mainstream media destroyed. it's probably the only way a proper political change could ever occur.

Zetetic

"This public toilet is in a state of disrepair, and besides some people need mobility aids or prefer urinals."

"Therefore we cannot have any public lavatories."

Zetetic

Blodwyn will hopefully enjoy my last post, if only because of the implied analogy between the BBC and a toilet.

Zetetic

We should, of course, abolish the licence fee and fund the BBC from general income and wealth taxation.

Fambo Number Mive

Age UK petition to call on the Government to take back responsibility for funding TV licences for over 75s: https://campaigns.ageuk.org.uk/page/34266/petition/1

chveik

Quote from: Zetetic on June 11, 2019, 02:50:13 PM
"This public toilet is in a state of disrepair, and besides some people need mobility aids or prefer urinals."

"Therefore we cannot have any public lavatories."

very witty

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Zetetic on June 11, 2019, 02:52:13 PM
We should, of course, abolish the licence fee and fund the BBC from general income and wealth taxation.

I agree with this. You'd save millions not having to pay Crapita to collect the licence fee for one.

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Like they have been doing for years in Finland, for example.

Buelligan

Here in glorious France, public tv is funded from property taxes but you can exempt yourself by declaring that you have no telly.  I think that's pretty fair.  To improve it though, I think there should be a sliding scale applied, so people with more money contribute more, which would be a pretty easy fix.  And fairer.

chveik

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 11, 2019, 02:56:06 PM
Web dev for the gambling industry, innit?

yeah every thread really needs to be about biggy's life. ignore him, he's not going to leave.

for once he's right, albeit for the wrong reasons. the msm's main goal is to prevent any far left alternative to actually be in a position of power.

Buelligan

How does destroying all mainstream media sources help with that then?

The fact the Tories and the rest of the media are gleefully laying the boot in should be the clue everyone needs that the destruction of the BBC isn't going to be the first stage of the destruction of the rest of the mainstream media but simply the strangulation of yet another public service to feather the nest of the free market.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Buelligan on June 11, 2019, 02:58:19 PM
Here in glorious France, public tv is funded from property taxes but you can exempt yourself by declaring that you have no telly.  I think that's pretty fair.  To improve it though, I think there should be a sliding scale applied, so people with more money contribute more, which would be a pretty easy fix.  And fairer.

Does it still have ads though?