Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:21:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV licences to be scrapped for many over-75s

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 11, 2019, 11:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

I don't know, I don't watch it.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 11, 2019, 03:02:49 PM
The fact the Tories and the rest of the media are gleefully laying the boot in should be the clue everyone needs that the destruction of the BBC isn't going to be the first stage of the destruction of the rest of the mainstream media but simply the strangulation of yet another public service to feather the nest of the free market.

I think there's that possibility.  I also think it's a leaf out of the Bannon/Trump playbook.  Destroy all trusted sources of information is Step One towards controlling what the little people believe.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: chveik on June 11, 2019, 03:01:02 PM
yeah every thread really needs to be about biggy's life. ignore him, he's not going to leave.

No, he's trying to hijack this thread to push one of his usual hobby horses. Nothing wrong with pointing out his hypocrisy regarding 'shackles' here.

Quotefor once he's right, albeit for the wrong reasons. the msm's main goal is to prevent any far left alternative to actually be in a position of power.

This is a thread about cuts to the BBC's funding and the attempt by the government to shift the blame for the reduction in the number of license fee exemptions away from themselves. It's irksome that biggy is intent on deflecting criticism away from the right wing yet again.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on June 11, 2019, 02:21:03 PM
Yeah. I briefly made the moral mistake of working for a gambling software company. We had a meeting with Amazon once. They traveled to our offices before realising we were a gambling company, and we had an awkward meeting where they said they couldn't provide services to us due to a moral clause in their conditions.

So you're working in an industry that even Amazon won't touch, biggy. Have you thought about moving to a different company where you wouldn't have this huge moral contradiction to deal with?

I worked for Ladbrokes (behind the counter, not a developer) during Uni. Back then they were adamant that since the servers that ran their betting terminals were in Malta, that's where the the bet was taking place so no tax.

Meanwhile their shops creaked along on windows 2000 (with one crappy desktop acting as the shop 'server') using a horrible mixture of .net and embedded visual basic windows that was clearly originally designed for a touchscreen (it had calibration settings in it) despite being driven with a mouse.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 11, 2019, 03:02:49 PM
The fact the Tories and the rest of the media are gleefully laying the boot in should be the clue everyone needs that the destruction of the BBC isn't going to be the first stage of the destruction of the rest of the mainstream media but simply the strangulation of yet another public service to feather the nest of the free market.

Of course. The Murdoch's have been moaning for years about unfair competition from the BBC. If they could only get enough useful idiots to hope for its destruction instead of reforming it...

Now, where have we heard that before?

chveik

Paul Calf

The Daily Mail and The Daily Express suddenly seem to have decided that government benefits are a good thing.

Buelligan

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 11, 2019, 03:13:29 PM
Of course. The Murdoch's have been moaning for years about unfair competition from the BBC. If they could only get enough useful idiots to hope for its destruction instead of reforming it...

Heheh, here?

Quote from: Buelligan on June 11, 2019, 01:22:21 PM
In some ways, I see a parallel with the EU here.  Sometimes throwing out all the toys and having a good wash down with Napalm is not the only or even the best, solution.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 11, 2019, 03:10:30 PM
I worked for Ladbrokes (behind the counter, not a developer) during Uni. Back then they were adamant that since the servers that ran their betting terminals were in Malta, that's where the the bet was taking place so no tax.

Yeah. Their gambling regs are more favourable to gambling companies too. I know of a gambling company (and I have to be careful here) that can't use services like AWS and GitHub because they need certain sections of their architecture guaranteed to be located in Malta. Apparently getting a UK gambling license is so expensive that would make their business unviable.

Obvious bollocks is obvious.

sponk

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 11, 2019, 03:13:29 PM

Brexit? Remoaners who say we should scrap Brexit entirely because it's been handled badly by an incompetent government.

biggytitbo

Paul Calf

Quote from: sponk on June 11, 2019, 03:21:45 PM
Brexit? Remoaners who say we should scrap Brexit entirely because it's been handled badly by an incompetent government.

Take it somewhere else please.

Johnny Yesno

bgmnts

The idea that AMAZON has a moral remit is funny as fuck.

Gerald Fjord

has anyone considered making this into a brexit thread?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 11, 2019, 03:24:04 PM
Oh, you've given that up now, have you?

If you're talking about Sky Bet it's a completely different company to Sky. I have explained this multiple times but it never seems to sink in for some reason.

Johnny Yesno

greencalx

This was a deliberate ploy by Osborne. Pass the cost onto the BBC, and then blame them when they can no longer afford it, knowing that this will fan the flames of the 'end the licence fee' brigade and we can have a proper race to the bottom in broadcasting.

I agree that funding public-service broadcasting out of general taxation is more sensible than the license fee model. But some people find it difficult to separate the license fee from public service broadcasting, which is a mistake. Also, public service doesn't necessarily have to mean the BBC.

Anyway, the audio and video are often slightly out of sync Netflix app on my smart TV but the iPlayer app is always rock solid in this regard. So BBC > Netflix. Case closed.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 11, 2019, 03:26:10 PM

If you're talking about Sky Bet it's a completely different company to Sky. I have explained this multiple times but it never seems to sink in for some reason.

I am talking about Sky Bet. Is that not a gambling company, as the name would suggest? Shit, they really need to look at their marketing, because it makes them look like a company that takes advantage of locking people into the shackles of a tax on desperation / gambling addiction.

Cuellar

"Yer know, when I hear about the over 75s complaining that something they voted for might have a detrimental effect on their own lives, it er...haha...[audience laughter builds gradually, a smattering of applause]..yes! That's right, makes me think of Brexit."

CONTINUITY ANNOUNCER: THIS IS FUCKING RADIO 4 NEWS SHIT

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: greencalx on June 11, 2019, 03:26:35 PM
Also, public service doesn't necessarily have to mean the BBC.

Indeed, Channel 4 are publicly owned but funded privately (through ads). Although some of the licence fee went on paying for its digital switchover costs.

biggytitbo

Quote from: chveik on June 11, 2019, 02:50:07 PM
I'd love to see mainstream media destroyed. it's probably the only way a proper political change could ever occur.

Yes, if there's one thing that unites the establishment friendly gatekeepers at the soft left, center and right of the msm is their collective desire to ensure a radical leftist government never attains power. And to provide cover for the US empires next imperial adventure.

Gerald Fjord

the bbc are soft left lickspittle demagogues, establishment stenographers for elite interest.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 11, 2019, 03:28:27 PM
I am talking about Sky Bet. Is that not a gambling company, as the name would suggest? Shit, they really need to look at their marketing, because it makes them look like a company that takes advantage of locking people into the shackles of a tax on desperation / gambling addiction.

Skybet is indeed a betting company, what I'm telling you is it is a different company to Sky. I have never worked for Skybet in my life.

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 11, 2019, 03:32:00 PM

Yes, if there's one thing that unites the establishment friendly gatekeepers at the soft left, center and right of the msm is their collective desire to ensure a radical leftist government never attains power. And to provide cover for the US empires next imperial adventure.

Yes, because the impartiality of Fox News and Breitbart.

Like with the NHS, we need to have a proper conversation about how insurance can stop the elite from running Britain's health service.

Paul Calf

Careful there mate.
Marketplace of ideas, mate.
Neolibbytitbo there, mate.

Twed

Quote from: bgmnts on June 11, 2019, 03:24:25 PM
The idea that AMAZON has a moral remit is funny as fuck.
Agreed! Although I bet it just boiled down to the regulations being too complex for them to profit from, really.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Buelligan on June 11, 2019, 03:54:52 PM
Yes, because the impartiality of Fox News and Breitbart.

Like with the NHS, we need to have a proper conversation about how insurance can stop the elite from running Britain's health service.

No, not because of the impartiality of Fox News and Breitbart. They need to go aswell.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 11, 2019, 03:38:52 PM

Skybet is indeed a betting company, what I'm telling you is it is a different company to Sky. I have never worked for Skybet in my life.

But you said you worked as a web dev for a sports betting company. You have also stated you didn't work for Murdoch, yet until November last year, Murdoch had a controlling stake in Sky.

No wonder people are confused.

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 11, 2019, 04:08:29 PM

No, not because of the impartiality of Fox News and Breitbart. They need to go aswell.

Perhaps we need a government department to investigate and decide which information-providers are trustworthy and unbiased.  The rest can be thrown onto the pyre.

The ritual destruction of public untruths and ungoods always bodes well for civil society.