Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:51:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Richardson's Vehicle

Started by Tony Tony Tony, June 11, 2019, 01:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5355/jon_richardson_and_lucy_beaumont_sitcom/

QuoteCommissioner Iain Coyle says: "We've seen a glimpse into Lucy and Jon's home life in Jon Richardson: Ultimate Worrier, so getting full access was both irresistible and a little disturbing. Think Curb Your Enthusiasm meets One Foot In The Grave, with a dishwasher fetish, and you're about halfway there."

UKTV's Luke Hales adds: "This is Lucy and Jon at their absolute best, their segments in Ultimate Worrier are just brilliant and I can't wait to see more of them both in this show. We're committed to creating fresh and innovative comedy on Dave and this show fits that brief perfectly, there is nothing else like it on TV."

A proud boast!

Twed

Richardson having a self-reflective documentary about OCD because he's a bit fussy but doesn't actually have OCD is why it's good that Britain only has four years left.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Twed on June 11, 2019, 01:07:47 PM
Richardson having a self-reflective documentary about OCD because he's a bit fussy but doesn't actually have OCD is why it's good that Britain only has four years left.

He does have OCD. Don't need to be cynical about everything, dear. Have a nap.

Twed

You obviously didn't watch it or don't remember it. Here's a recap: https://clinpsychthinking.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/a-little-bit-jon/

It doesn't matter that Wikipedia says that Jon has decided he has OCD now. And fuck off with your personal attacks.

He may have OCD, but in the documentary (which was good, on the whole) his very presence reduces OCD to being a bit particular and not liking unclean things, which is massively fucking insulting and contrary to a lot of its own material.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Twed on June 11, 2019, 01:17:36 PM
You obviously didn't watch it or don't remember it. Here's a recap: https://clinpsychthinking.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/a-little-bit-jon/

It doesn't matter that Wikipedia says that Jon has decided he has OCD now. And fuck off with your personal attacks.

Oh, sorry I missed this blog post. I'm usually up to date on every blog.

Twed

What a brilliantly stupid thing to say.

up_the_hampipe

He may have OCD, but in the documentary (which was good, on the whole) his very presence reduces OCD to being a bit particular and not liking unclean things, which is massively fucking insulting and contrary to a lot of its own material.

So does he have OCD or not? Earlier you seemed certain he didn't. Can you cite anything from someone who has treated him personally?

Twed

In the documentary he was evasive about having OCD, and was present as the man who sits near Jimmy Carr and makes a personal brand out of saying "ooh I wear jumpers and hate it when the fork is in the knife drawer, I'm so OCD". That's what was bad. Anything else is irrelevant, I don't care if he actually has OCD.

Why don't you watch it before telling people that they aren't allowed to be irritated by him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VszpoKZJO5E

"I've been on this journey and realised that OCD is no laughing matter, it can tear lives apart. <cuts to clip of Richardson doing his hilarious stand-up bit about organising cutlery>"

OCD is a fucking nightmare. Right now I have to go show my face at work having missed a deadline because I've been stuck in a loop for weeks.

up_the_hampipe

I'm not telling you what to be irritated by. By all means, don't laugh at his jokes. However, he has stated on several occasions that he has obsessive-compulsive disorder and has gone through therapy for it, like he's lying/exaggerating for attention or his brand, whatever. To say that someone is lying about a mental illness seems quite serious to me, just wondered if there was anything more concrete to that claim.

That video you have linked is blocked. Does he deny actually being diagnosed with it, or say anything to the contrary of what he's been saying for years?

Twed

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 11, 2019, 02:03:05 PM
I'm not telling you what to be irritated by.
Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 11, 2019, 01:11:24 PMDon't need to be cynical about everything, dear. Have a nap.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 11, 2019, 02:03:05 PMBy all means, don't laugh at his jokes.
Fuck off! I'll have any opinion I want and express it however I see fit, thank you very much.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 11, 2019, 02:03:05 PMHowever, he has stated on several occasions that he has obsessive-compulsive disorder and has gone through therapy for it

Well, to steal an argument from you: I don't keep up to date with all the latest Jon Richardson news. I am talking about his hosting and the editing of that documentary.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 11, 2019, 02:03:05 PMThat video you have linked is blocked. Does he deny actually being diagnosed with it, or say anything to the contrary of what he's been saying for years?
It amazes me that you are admitting to have genuinely not seen/remembered it. Here's the opening:

Narration (Jon): I'm Jon Richardson, stand-up comic and team captain on panel show on 8 Out of 10 Cats, where I am known as the one who is a little bit OCD.

<cut to clip of Cats>

Jimmy Carr: You've got most OCDs, haven't you?
Jon: They're not OCDs, they're just correct ways of doing things!
Jon: If I were sensible I would say "do you know what, it evens out when I get home" but then I can't remember if I've got uneven...
Sonia from Eastenders: Ahh for fuck's sake!
<audience laughs>

Narration (Jon): For much of my life I've been on a quest for perfection.

<cut to clips of Jon ordering DVDs and making sure the butter is spread evenly>

Narration: I'm the first to admit that I'm a little bit obsessive.

<cut to clip of Jon playing pool>

Jon: Technically this is pool, but to me it's just tidying the table.

Narration: But as for obsessive compulsive disorder, I don't know much about it, or whether I've got it.

It is fine for him to explore whether his fussiness actually equates to OCD. That would be useful. But he just keeps coming back to his shit quips about tidying, with Russell Howard in there for good measure, and then hops straight back to his usual Cats schtick.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Twed on June 11, 2019, 02:16:44 PM
It amazes me that you are admitting to have genuinely not seen/remembered it.

It amazes you that I don't recall the specifics of a documentary that I saw 7 years ago?

In the years since that aired, he has claimed to actually have the disorder and had therapy. Clearly, he didn't know back then, and he stated as such.

Quote from: Twed on June 11, 2019, 02:16:44 PM
Fuck off! I'll have any opinion I want and express it however I see fit, thank you very much.

I'm amazed you think me telling you to "have a nap" was any sort of serious demand. Stop being such a snapping turtle.

Twed

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 11, 2019, 02:38:11 PM
It amazes you that I don't recall the specifics of a documentary that I saw 7 years ago?
You're the snapping turtle here, you don't even have any convictions about what you're angry about. It's just cuntiness for the sake of being a cunt.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Twed on June 11, 2019, 03:43:22 PM
Yes, because you were an absolute cunt to me for being critical of it. You're the snapping turtle here, you don't even have any convictions about what you're angry about.

I'm not angry about anything. As I previously said, I'm not bothered if you take issue with any of his material. I wasn't having a go at you for criticising a documentary, I was questioning your assertion that he doesn't actually have a mental condition. I haven't sworn at you or lashed out, but if you want me to stoop as low as you, let's go fuckeroo!

Tony Tony Tony, I'm sorry about all of this.

Twed

Utter Shit

It's both of you.

This could be decent I guess, Lucy Beaumont is usually good value and presumably it will draw on their real life experiences which should help it feel true.

"Its stupid that he pretends he has OCD and it doesnt matter about any factual information on the internet may say to affirm this because he definitely doesnt...I mean he might have it but he doesnt. Wah wah stop personally attacking me Im frightened"

Twed

Gerald Fjord

this thread went well.

jon richardson is a tiny man. how can i laugh with such a specimen? no. no no no. only ever at.

jsgibble

This sounds quite interesting, between this and the Joe Wilkinson and David Earl series it looks like UKTV have some good stuff on the way. I hope they both turn out well as most of their originals have been a bit a meagre

holyzombiejesus

He lives near me and was in the pub the other night with Lucy B. He was obviously trying to keep his head down and not get recognised - I think he had a hat on - but just after they'd left and had got about 10 yards up the street the landlord came sprinting out, shouting 'oi, mate, you forgot this', holding up a bag or something. Cue the whole of the beer garden turning round and staring at him as he stood there whilst his wife shuffled over to the landlord to collect the item. The 2 women sat behind me were saying 'doesn't he look like Jon Richardson?!'

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Here's an easy way to check how old you are: when you saw the name Richardson in the thread title thought of Peter Richardson.

There can't be many of left, but the first generation of CaBbers were more interested in Young Ones outtakes than internet things or weird cable TV channels.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 12, 2019, 08:09:19 PM
He lives near me and was in the pub the other night with Lucy B. He was obviously trying to keep his head down and not get recognised - I think he had a hat on - but just after they'd left and had got about 10 yards up the street the landlord came sprinting out, shouting 'oi, mate, you forgot this', holding up a bag or something. Cue the whole of the beer garden turning round and staring at him as he stood there whilst his wife shuffled over to the landlord to collect the item. The 2 women sat behind me were saying 'doesn't he look like Jon Richardson?!'

That's one of those anecdotes that seems like it's building to something and then just fizzles out. Like Lynn getting stuck because of the rain in Alan Partridge.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on June 13, 2019, 07:26:48 AM
Here's an easy way to check how old you are: when you saw the name Richardson in the thread title thought of Peter Richardson.

Guilty. Does it mean you're old or just naive?

It's old isn't it?

Tony Tony Tony

If you want to feel old... Peter Richardson is now 67

olliebean

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 13, 2019, 02:36:19 PM

Bloody hell, Richard Herring has let himself go... more... than he had already...

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: olliebean on June 13, 2019, 03:08:20 PM
Bloody hell, Richard Herring has let himself go... more... than he had already...

I was thinking the same of Shaun Ryder

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Shaun Ryder these days looks like Pipes from Ghostwatch.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on June 13, 2019, 07:26:48 AMHere's an easy way to check how old you are: when you saw the name Richardson in the thread title thought of Peter Richardson.

Yup, that was my first thought when I saw it yesterday.  Then I thought "Nah, can't be... maybe Miranda Richardson?"  Anyway I got distracted and didn't open the thread, and it was only just now as I went to open it that I thought "Oh of course... Jon!"

And me with 8OoTCDC as a guilty pleasure, too.

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on June 13, 2019, 07:26:48 AMThere can't be many of left, but the first generation of CaBbers were more interested in Young Ones outtakes than internet things or weird cable TV channels.

Oi!  Some of us can be interested in both... besides Dave hardly qualifies as a "weird cable TV" channel.  It's about as mainstream as you can get without being one of the main fourfive, ITV2 or BBC4.

phantom_power

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 13, 2019, 02:36:19 PM

My rose has left meeeeeee

studpuppet

Is it me? This just feels like Kelly Monteith but with a tidier set.