Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:36:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you reckon Virtual Reality will ever actually take over proper gaming.

Started by Fry, June 12, 2019, 06:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

Beyond being a gimmick?

There's a few VR arcades in the town where I live, I've had fun going there a few times. Nipping in for a 30 minute session on beatsaber, or having a few bevvies and playing my mate at this weird archery game. It's a laugh, but only for a limited time. I don't even suffer from the motion sickness much, I just find it a bit of a hassle (and the goggles are quite uncomfortable, I am a damp man). I just can't see myself sat on a sofa for 4 hours at a time with that whole get-up on.

Is it already dying down as a thing? I've only watched bits and bobs of e3 but I've not seen much mention of it. Will I never be able to be toad and see up peach's skirt?

checkoutgirl

Eventually the Star Trek Next Generation holodeck will happen. I wouldn't have thought it possible a few decades ago but now it seems an inevitability. Head sets, hand sets and control paddles will all be in the vintage game section which will continue parallel to the state of the art stuff as oldies have more income and become increasingly stuck in their teens. I'm 40 and all I do now is play the PlayStation 2 I got for Christmas. I wouldn't be surprised if future gaming emphasised inclusiveness, community and social interaction to counteract an increasingly fragmented and politically polarised society.

The rich will have their own holodecks and special games to play on them in their bulletproof penthouses on the 150th floor.

Never tried VR myself, the headgear looks unsanitary.

Beagle 2

It involves at least moving your head around a bit, and that's already too much fucking about for most people. So nah.

lazarou

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 12, 2019, 09:46:59 AM
It involves at least moving your head around a bit, and that's already too much fucking about for most people. So nah.

Yeah, it's far too involved to ever replace regular old 'plant yourself on the sofa and lose a few hours doing next to fuck all' gaming. There will undoubtedly be a strong niche for it, in much the same way as there are folks who like nothing better than tooling around racing sims with a full wheel and pedals setup while the rest of us are happy enough with Burnout and the like.

It reminds me of the brief motion control boom when the wii arrived. Even when the controls were used fantastically well, it's exhausting to play over any length of time. Fine for your wii sports and such, not so much for 50-hour open-world adventures.

Inspector Norse

I had a go on a VR headset at work and got to watch a film of some students painting an underpass. It was 360 degrees which was well weird because how had they filmed what was going on all around them all at the same time with just the one camera.

I guess we'll never know.

Chollis

I think it will. The immersion is already enough to make going back to playing on 2D a bit of a comedown. But it's too much effort. Can't see it for at least another decade and not until, like checkoutgirl says, the cumbersome controllers/goggles are replaced with just lightweight glasses or some shit.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Inspector Norse on June 12, 2019, 10:11:30 AM
I had a go on a VR headset at work and got to watch a film of some students painting an underpass. It was 360 degrees which was well weird because how had they filmed what was going on all around them all at the same time with just the one camera.

I think they use 20 cameras all pointing in different directions. Like a big circle of cameras.

Twed

Quote from: Inspector Norse on June 12, 2019, 10:11:30 AM

Could you look at their arses?

Inspector Norse

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 12, 2019, 12:41:13 PM
I think they use 20 cameras all pointing in different directions. Like a big circle of cameras.

Nah that's got to be bollocks, nobody has that many cameras.

I reckon they got a mad spinny robot with a camera on its face.

Quote from: Twed on June 12, 2019, 12:50:30 PMCould you look at their arses?

Technically yes but they were fully clothed and like 15 years old so it'd be a bit niche-y if you did. Not judging you though.

It's not really anything like gaming, so no. It's tiring and quite uncomfortable and requires a lot of forced suspension of disbelief. The best moments have been absolutely spectacular or very intense and unusual, but I wouldn't say that I've played anything I've found to be fun, necessarily. It's like, I enjoy getting some nice headphones on and watching some ASMR vid and enjoying the sensation stuff but 99% of the time, that's not what I want to sit down and watch. The reality is that it still isn't quite there in terms of visual fidelity and that takes you out of it almost constantly, or rather, it takes me out of it almost constantly. I have no problem playing 480p Wii games on a 4K telly or 720p Xbox 360 games, I actually like that aesthetic, but on VR, until we get another significant boost in resolution and somehow eliminate the screen door effect, it'll always be that way for me. I was so excited to try Skyrim VR and Resi 7 VR but they are both terrible.