Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Juggling

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, March 15, 2005, 12:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

Neville Chamberlain

I've seen that video and, personally, I found it massively entertaining. The "juggling community", however, begs to differ and this video has been the subject of much debate. One juggler, Jason Garfield, did a sort of parody of it, except using five balls. Technically, it's awesome, obviously, but aesthetically, it lacks something and he comes across as a bit of a bitter twat too. Bliss' three balls are easier on the eye, while Garfield's five balls seem a bit cluttered. There's a video of it here. There's been a lot of insults flying in Bliss' direction about his juggling skills, but what people seem to have completely missed is that Bliss is basically a comedian who throws in a highly entertaining, audience-pleasing juggling skit and the end of his act. The fact that he of all people has got so much attention with what is a surprisingly simple (but hugely effective) routine while jugglers who've dedicated their lives to be able to do a few runs of 5 club backcrosses languish in obscurity is what's got the "juggling community's" goat.

So, yeah.

Neville Chamberlain

As for my juggling, I'm making some pretty good progress. Having nailed the 5 ball cascade, I can do a pretty decent 5 ball half-shower and 5 ball reverse cascade. I've also bought myself a set of clubs and can juggle three quite competently, although I can't do much in the way of tricks yet. The thought of chucking 5 of those damn clubs up in the air is actually quite a daunting thought, but I'll get it one day.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Heh, the Bliss video. Yeah, that pisses me off. I'm not sure why, probably for the same reason I get pissed off that audiences faint in excitement at eating an apple while juggling while some trick that has spent months of solid practise to learn gets blank stares, it's not their fault, it's just annoying for me. Bliss isn't a very good juggler, you could do his routine after a year (max) of off and on juggling, the lack of drops isn't very impressive really because of the basicness of the tricks. As a juggler his style pisses me off and I cringe watching him. I don't really care either way, I didn't get hugely worked up when I saw it but it kind of annoys me that he is viewed as some kind of God-Like best juggler in the world by the non-jugglers while people who have dedicated their whole lives to practising and performing absolutely insane and mind blowing things on a daily basis, still are barely known for it at all (not that many jugglers care about getting 'big'). He's obviously put work into synching it up etc, but it just isn't a very hard routine and I think it looks a bit embarrassing. The Garfield diss is fun to watch because it has some good juggling in it, I think it was a bit of a missed opportunity though, knowing JG's persona I was really expecting him to stick the boot in rather than just using it as an excuse to show off how shit hot he is which we all know anyway. The amount of people that have asked me about 'the video of that guy' though get's a bit wearing, especially when I get that 'look' when I state my opinions on him. I would direct them to the video of Steven Singh practising with 3 that was put up a while back, or the Dietz videos but I know as non-jugglers they find different things impressive however irritating it is for me.
As for my juggling, haven't done a huge amount recently, I went to juggling club last night though for the first time in ages. I'm getting more 9 flashes now, I need much smaller bags though, also working on really getting my seven solid, am quite comfortable now and normally get 30-40+ catches on a normal run. I started practising 5 clubs a while back too, I've never been a club juggler but thought it was about time to learn 5, so bought an extra club at the SJC and started practising. The huge amount of room you need is a bit annoying, but it's coming along. I can consistently flash but need to work on running it properly. I've started hiring a squash court for practising which is fucking great, I really recommend it once you get onto the higher numbers, great for siteswaps and stuff having such a massive space above you.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"...or the Dietz videos...

Well, yeah, I've been watching a whole load of Dietz videos and it's mindblowing stuff. Obviously, in an ideal world, they'd be going viral instead of Chris Bliss' routine, but then I can't understand the anger towards Bliss' routine, as much as I can think of at least a million other juggling videos I'd rather watch.

Anyway, the Dietz videos are here. Personally, I can't see how they'd fail to connect with non-jugglers. Everyone should be made to watch them!

Almost Yearly

I can only do three balls, which is enough to impress small children, and tanned lovelies in beach bars if that old advert was correct.

I saw a video of a bloke doing seven luminous balls in the dark, which was way cool.

Neville Chamberlain

I have, as yet, failed to attract any ladies with my public displays of ball juggling.

By the way, this bloke rocks:

Dave Kelly

I'd kill to have 3 ball skills like that.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"I saw a video of a bloke doing seven luminous balls in the dark, which was way cool.
Yeah, glow balls are cool, I've got a mate who has a load of 'proballs', they are like globalls but you can get them to change colour in mid air, or everytime you catch them, or strobe and other stuff. They are cool as fuck, a couple guys I know get paid to juggle them in clubs as well, they always go down pretty well. The guy who has the 5 ball endurance record did it with glowballs, which is insane, it was a renegade (open) stage performance at a convention and he just walked on and did five for a few hours, with bloody glowballs as well which are harder, they fuck with your eyes. The guy that did it is ludicrous, I think that was him 'introducing himself' to the juggling world, no one had heard of him then but now he is pretty big I think.

Purple Tentacle

This thread stinks of carnies.

hencole

Quote from: "Captain Crunch"I don't know why I got this and I don't know if it's any good:

http://youtube.com/watch_fullscreen?video_id=z965UUEmdB8&l=267&fs=1&title=Chris%20Bliss%20Juggling

Uncanny I was about to write the exact same post today, except point out the Bliss video is shit, and include the video below which is great

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6283096511750618839&q=juggling&pl=true

Jason Garfield does the exact same routine, but with 5 balls. And much smoother if you ask me. The original Bliss video is very ragedy. The sort of thing I might do if I got back from the pub pissed. I'll be fair though he is a comedian more than juggler.
Whoops just noticed I've rewrote what has already been written!

QuoteI've got a mate who has a load of 'proballs', they are like globalls

but cost over £100 each! I've been saving up for some for over a year now. I can always afford one, but never the 3-5 I actually need, and I don't see the point of just buying one and then waiting a while to get the other.

I'm still struggling with rubensteins, but I'm getting pretty good with my box variations and being able to move the bottom of the box around the place. I need a house with a higher ceiling as I'm stuck with 4 balls until then, and I'm still restricted with 4 as I can't do anything higher than a half shower. Instead I've just been doing loads of low height multiplexing instead.

QuoteI have, as yet, failed to attract any ladies with my public displays of ball juggling.

I'll show you my fountain if you show me yours?

hencole

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"This thread stinks of carnies.

To beat a carnie, you must think like a carnie.

Oh and congrats turk on the 9 balls mightily impressive.

So who's up for a cirus skills meet extreme? Anyone going to any juggling festivals? Not that I've been to any before. They might be shit and full of jugglers.

Me juggling ONE ball!!!

Almost Yearly

That parody is marvellous. And the bit on the end ...

Just wanted to come back cos I remembered seeing a bloke do glowballs in a small dark room and the movement of the shadows made me fall over. That's how much of an acrobat I am.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Hello friends. Are people still juggling? Hencole? I have my eyes on a ten flash, that's my goal for the year although I would like to make it clear I am no numbers bore. So I was at the SJC at the weekend, juggled a bit with 2 time 3 ball world champion Bill Berry. Hell yes, he is amazing. Very nice guy too. Made me even more hungry for some 3 ball, it's always been my passion and the main thing I practise but seeing his flow was really inspiring. Made me rewatch the Stefan Sing vids I've got on my hard drive too. Man, SS is just my favourite juggler of all time and if you have not seen his stuff you NEED to go to juggling db, stick his name in the video search and have your mind blown. That goes for the none jugglers too.

Neville Chamberlain

Oh yes, I'm juggling more than ever now! Nothing spectacular like yourself, APTS, but enough to keep me happy. Just mucking around with some 3 ball stuff, mills mess, box variations, those flashy behind-the-head catches etc. I've decided I'll never be able to do stuff like Rubensteins Revenge because I can't do orbits to save my life. Doing some nice 4 ball siteswaps and stuff (not sure if you're into all that stuff, but the siteswap 534 is just great to juggle, as is 7531 (can't quite do the 5 ball version yet, but I'm working on it...!). 4 ball mills mess is pretty solid now too, which is just lovely to juggle when the flow's right! My 5 ball half shower and reverse cascade is pretty good, and when the weather's good I plan on learning some more 5 ball siteswaps (just the ones that are aesthetically pleasing, like 744, 97531). Qualified six balls a few months ago, but haven't worked on that at all over the winter simply due to a lack of space (and I don't like juggling on my knees), and plan on at least flashing 7 balls by the end of summer! Still got no contact with fellow jugglers though, which is probably holding me back considerably. I think I might approach that funny bunch of fellows I see juggling in the park in summer. I think that's the Stuttgart juggling club.

By the way, Stefan Sing is indeed truly incredible. This is also one of the most impressive practice videos I've seen in a while too. Love the 4 ball box - that's something I plan on working on too!

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Jim"Oh yes, I'm juggling more than ever now! Nothing spectacular like yourself, APTS, but enough to keep me happy. Just mucking around with some 3 ball stuff, mills mess, box variations, those flashy behind-the-head catches etc. I've decided I'll never be able to do stuff like Rubensteins Revenge because I can't do orbits to save my life.
If you're running 4 mills and 534 etc rubensteins should be well within your grasp, it's just getting your head round it thats the hard bit. I've never thought that much of it as a trick anyway, it looks really complicated but I find it hard not to make it look real messy. It's not that satisfying anyway.

QuoteDoing some nice 4 ball siteswaps and stuff (not sure if you're into all that stuff, but the siteswap 534 is just great to juggle, as is 7531 (can't quite do the 5 ball version yet, but I'm working on it...!). 4 ball mills mess is pretty solid now too, which is just lovely to juggle when the flow's right! My 5 ball half shower and reverse cascade is pretty good, and when the weather's good I plan on learning some more 5 ball siteswaps (just the ones that are aesthetically pleasing, like 744, 97531).Qualified six balls a few months ago, but haven't worked on that at all over the winter simply due to a lack of space (and I don't like juggling on my knees), and plan on at least flashing 7 balls by the end of summer!
Yeah, I'm doing a lot more siteswaps than I used to too. Been working on (6x,4),(4,6x) recently as I've never got round to learning it. Totally agree with you on 534, really nice feeling pattern. Doing it in Mills is a lot easier than it sounds as well though I haven't got it that solid. What pattern are you using in 6? You should start playing with it in half shower if you haven't already, it's not much harder than a 5 half shower and looks and feels really awesome with all those balls in the air. 7 frustrates the hell out of me, I'm too inconsistent with it, I can sometimes get long runs of 50+ catches but they're amongst so many shit sub 20 catch runs that its demoralising as anything. 97531 is just an amazing trick, I can't run it but can do it from a cold start and finish every now and again, messy as hell though. So beautiful when you see someone doing it well. I saw a guy do db97531 (I think, might have just been b97531) a year or so back and  it just looked ridiculous in real life. You see the vid of the guy doing 97531 in mills mess over his head in that mills mess in tokyo thing? Insane.

QuoteStill got no contact with fellow jugglers though, which is probably holding me back considerably. I think I might approach that funny bunch of fellows I see juggling in the park in summer. I think that's the Stuttgart juggling club.
You should go for it, I think juggling with others makes you progress so much. Maybe try and get to a convention, I have so much more desire to juggle now than I did before the Scottish a couple of weeks ago. Germany's got loads of clubs hasn't it, if that's where you are? Loads of Europe's best jugglers are in Berlin, Jay Gilligan, Stefan Sing (up untill a while ago I think anyway).

QuoteThis is also one of the most impressive practice videos I've seen in a while too. Love the 4 ball box - that's something I plan on working on too!
Nice vid. He's got an interesting three ball style, not sure it's my cup of tea but you can tell those fast bits are hard as fuck.

This reply has been longer than I meant it to be.

hencole

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Hello friends. Are people still juggling? Hencole?

I haven’t been juggling as much as late as it’s winter and my ceilings are low. Shame as I nearly nailed 5 balls last year then left it. I’ve been mainly been doing 3 ball tricks, still can’t do rubensteins despite having the skills to do it. Recently been trying to master mills mess on the back of hands only. Can do it on one side alright, but as always the mirror image is harder.

I did get to perform an impromptu routine a few months ago in front of about 40 people in Battersea park. I was just lazing around on my own practicing a few tricks when a group of cross country runners turn up next to me and form a big circle. They start doing a load of stretching exercises and their coach invites me up to perform in the centre whilst they carry on their stretching. After getting over the initial embarrassment I got into it and rather enjoyed it.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Heh, people watching you practise can be good and bad. I remember a while back some small kids gathered around me. I knew I would have to acknowledge them eventually and that inevitably I'd have to give them a 'go' and that that would no doubt lead to the balls being thrown around in the juggling pattern I like to call the 'children pelting balls around uncontrollably and losing them'. So, sure enough, it got to the point where they were standing so close to me I couldn't carry on without saying something. 'Hello'. 'I can juggle two'. 'Wow, please show me'. I gave up my beanbags and sat down resigned to what was about to happen.

Neville Chamberlain

Yes, I've had a few people come up to me while I'm juggling in the park. 99% of the time it's small girls asking me endless stupid questions ("What's the point in juggling?" "How many balls are you juggling?" "Why can't you juggle any more balls than that?" "Why did you just drop?" etc etc). One time, however, this very nice girl came up to me and said she'd been watching me. She sat down next to me, watched me juggle, then, after an hour or so, said thanks very much, and disappeared off into the evening... *sigh*

hencole

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"I gave up my beanbags and sat down resigned to what was about to happen.

Yeah that is really annoying. You just no your going to spend the next half an hour trying to get them to give you them back. Last time it ended up with me and their parents chasing them aorund the whole park.