Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:23:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

When Someone Ruins Your Day

Started by checkoutgirl, June 12, 2019, 01:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

You know what I mean? Someone in work just takes something well intentioned the wrong way and starts acting all huffy. Then you get furious at their attitude and you know you'll have to work with them dozens of times in the next few months.

Day ruined.

I'm obviously way too sensitive and should just move on. Why am I so bothered by it? It's pathetic. I'll be fine tomorrow I'm sure but for now.

Day ruined.

checkoutgirl

I should be the bigger man and just apologise to bury the hatchet. It wasn't a big deal just a slightly panicky phone message I left. Is an email apology enough?

José

cut off your pinkie finger like a yakuza.

Norton Canes

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 12, 2019, 01:52:52 PM
You know what I mean? Someone in work just takes something well intentioned the wrong way and starts acting all huffy. Then you get furious at their attitude and you know you'll have to work with them dozens of times in the next few months

My day is ruined if this doesn't happen at least once

Buelligan

I don't know, but I reckon most people are not cunts.  They say and do cunty stuff sometimes, we all do, but almost always (and of course there are exceptions) it's just a momentary thing, an accident, a slip. 

Maybe it's good to listen to the growl, just to check whether there is a good reason for it and correct ones own tack but once you've checked your zip is up, I think just shrug it off, apologise if it's some kind of misunderstanding or whatever, of course, and move on with an easy mind. 

I think people who hold on to one little argument or difference or whatever and treat it as if it means you can never now be friends are just plain odd, not that I'm saying you're being like that, I'm certainly not.  But there are some who are and we shouldn't let them set the tone. 

Upshot is, don't worry about this stuff too much.

Chollis

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 12, 2019, 01:52:52 PM
You know what I mean? Someone in work just takes something well intentioned the wrong way and starts acting all huffy. Then you get furious at their attitude and you know you'll have to work with them dozens of times in the next few months.

Day ruined.

Brian get huffy that you called him a 'shirtlifter' again did he Jim?

checkoutgirl

I accosted them and it's all sorted now because I was the bigger man. Me good.

St_Eddie

So no one told you I was gonna ruin your day
Your job's bespoke, you love the folk
Your love life's a Casey & Jacobs play
It's like you're in the clouds, up high and soaring away
Whether it's your day, your week, your month
Or even your year, well...

I'll be there to mess it all up for you
(When the piss starts to pour)

I'll be there to fuck it all up for you
(Like I've fucked it up before)

I'll be there to screw it all up for you
('Cause I live to turn your life to poo-oooh-oooohhh-ooo-oooh-oooohh-oooooo)

Ray Travez

nice to see you back, CoG

my day gets ruined by motorists mostly. Like, I'll be crossing the street, and car appears from a side road and accelerates straight at me. Cunts. For a split second the lizard brain says OhFuckI'mGonnaDie and then fires you to sprint out of the way. Then I'm left with a feeling of wanting to stove the bastard's head in.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ray Travez on June 12, 2019, 07:27:39 PM
nice to see you back, CoG

my day gets ruined by motorists mostly. Like, I'll be crossing the street, and car appears from a side road and accelerates straight at me. Cunts. For a split second the lizard brain says OhFuckI'mGonnaDie and then fires you to sprint out of the way. Then I'm left with a feeling of wanting to stove the bastard's head in.

The local crossfit club that's 35 feet from my bedroom window ruins my day everyday. At least 5 days out of 7 they blast loud tunes (Faithless, Haddaway, Ace of Base etc) starting between 6.30am and 7.10am. The instructor barks his irksome, shrill encouragement and tyres and weights are thrown about the cavernous and echoey warehouse with no insulation and a corrugated iron roof. All despite they are clearly back to back with a development of at least 50 apartments.

Anyway 9 months of that is my limit so today I was delighted to complain to the council. I'm putting them out of business or trying my best to. I used to hate them but now I just think they've made a stupid error operating so close to a residential area where people have a legal right to peace and quiet.

Fucking crossfit wankers. I hope a special place in hell is reserved for their selfish, noisy, inconsiderate asses.

Buelligan

Why did you move in next to a crossfit warehouse with a corrugated iron roof?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Buelligan on June 12, 2019, 11:00:56 PM
Why did you move in next to a crossfit warehouse with a corrugated iron roof?

Because I was evicted from my last apartment because they sold it and there was no noise from the gym when viewing this place. Nor was there mention of the gym by the property agent.

I didn't ask the agency if there was a noisy gym a stones throw from it and after they answered in the affirmative think "This is the place".

checkoutgirl

Besides they're out of order and on the wrong side of the law making that unholy din in a built up residential area. They haven't a leg to stand on.

shh

If I think I've got the office lift to myself in the morning and some sod dashes in at the last second, that day can be written off.

Cyclists in central london go without saying (or waiting, more to the point).

Buelligan

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 12, 2019, 11:06:41 PM
Because I was evicted from my last apartment because they sold it and there was no noise from the gym when viewing this place. Nor was there mention of the gym by the property agent.

I didn't ask the agency if there was a noisy gym a stones throw from it and after they answered in the affirmative think "This is the place".

Try to be more careful in future.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: shh on June 12, 2019, 11:09:08 PM
If I think I've got the office lift to myself in the morning and some sod dashes in at the last second, that day can be written off.

That's an impressively low bar.

cliggg

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 12, 2019, 01:54:47 PM
I should be the bigger man and just apologise to bury the hatchet. It wasn't a big deal just a slightly panicky phone message I left. Is an email apology enough?
The bigger man? So you're not a checkoutgirl? LIAR!!!

Icehaven

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 12, 2019, 10:55:24 PM
The local crossfit club that's 35 feet from my bedroom window ruins my day everyday. At least 5 days out of 7 they blast loud tunes (Faithless, Haddaway, Ace of Base etc) starting between 6.30am and 7.10am. The instructor barks his irksome, shrill encouragement and tyres and weights are thrown about the cavernous and echoey warehouse with no insulation and a corrugated iron roof. All despite they are clearly back to back with a development of at least 50 apartments.

Anyway 9 months of that is my limit so today I was delighted to complain to the council. I'm putting them out of business or trying my best to. I used to hate them but now I just think they've made a stupid error operating so close to a residential area where people have a legal right to peace and quiet.

Fucking crossfit wankers. I hope a special place in hell is reserved for their selfish, noisy, inconsiderate asses.

I don't know where you are but the UK law changed a few years ago to give precedence to whatever was there first (mostly due to a series of cases where new apartment blocks had been built by music venues which had been there for decades then promptly been threatened with closure due to complaints from the new residents), so if the gym was there before the flats, you might be on a hiding to nothing. Although it might be different again seeing as it's not a live music venue or club so loud music isn't their raison d'etre and they can still operate without it.

checkoutgirl

The council said permissions were rejected on that property so I think I'm on a hiding to something. Crossfit places are half gangsters anyway. All you need is a rubber mat, a ghetto blaster and a bossy disposition and you're in business.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: icehaven on June 13, 2019, 12:14:31 PM
if the gym was there before the flats, you might be on a hiding to nothing.

squat-thrusters' rights

QDRPHNC

Glad to see you back, checkoutgirl, but I also remember lots of stories about you being arsey with other people at work in the past, so maybe this is some kind of karmic retribution???

Inspector Norse

Quote from: icehaven on June 13, 2019, 12:14:31 PM
I don't know where you are but the UK law changed a few years ago to give precedence to whatever was there first (mostly due to a series of cases where new apartment blocks had been built by music venues which had been there for decades then promptly been threatened with closure due to complaints from the new residents), so if the gym was there before the flats, you might be on a hiding to nothing. Although it might be different again seeing as it's not a live music venue or club so loud music isn't their raison d'etre and they can still operate without it.

It's a bit of a thorny issue in general, the gym has to be somewhere, doesn't it? Although the hours should perhaps be regulated. No shouty sergeant-major fitness instructors before 8am weekdays or 9am weekends, that kind of thing.

I live in Stockholm and there's been quite the palaver of late about the number of popular, well-established bars and clubs that are being forced to close or change their operations due to complaints about the noise. I could understand that in the suburbs but if you live in the centre of a capital city surely you can't justifiably whinge to The Man about the sound of nightlife? In fact in a capital as relatively sedate and polite as Stockholm, places should be encouraged to make more noise on a Friday or Saturday night.

imitationleather

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 13, 2019, 07:10:30 PM
Glad to see you back, checkoutgirl

I too am glad to see the aforementioned poster is back.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Inspector Norse on June 14, 2019, 07:39:43 AM
It's a bit of a thorny issue in general, the gym has to be somewhere, doesn't it? Although the hours should perhaps be regulated. No shouty sergeant-major fitness instructors before 8am weekdays or 9am weekends, that kind of thing.

I live in Stockholm and there's been quite the palaver of late about the number of popular, well-established bars and clubs that are being forced to close or change their operations due to complaints about the noise. I could understand that in the suburbs but if you live in the centre of a capital city surely you can't justifiably whinge to The Man about the sound of nightlife? In fact in a capital as relatively sedate and polite as Stockholm, places should be encouraged to make more noise on a Friday or Saturday night.

I know a rather frugal bloke who bought a shit flat with paper thin walls about half or a quarter of a mile from the city centre. He heard someone playing a guitar about 1 am one weekend and followed the sound into town to find a bloke playing in the street. He asked a copper to tell them to be quiet, the copper told him to fuck off.

The same guy got in an argument with a bloke across the street because the bloke had a security light on and it was shining through into his curtainless bedroom.

Icehaven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 14, 2019, 11:51:13 AM
I know a rather frugal bloke who bought a shit flat with paper thin walls about half or a quarter of a mile from the city centre. He heard someone playing a guitar about 1 am one weekend and followed the sound into town to find a bloke playing in the street. He asked a copper to tell them to be quiet, the copper told him to fuck off.

The same guy got in an argument with a bloke across the street because the bloke had a security light on and it was shining through into his curtainless bedroom.

Several years ago I had an absolute nightmare neigbour who unsuccessfully attempted to terrorise us with noise in order to get to our landlord. We'd signed a contract for a year so we had to wait until that was up to move (during which time she too decided to move and put her flat on the market.) In the week we were moving out some new people moved into a flat opposite hers, and as we were carrying boxes out we saw her standing on their doorstep complaining about their security light shining into her window. Absolute unbelievable cunt. Some people just can't be in society.

imitationleather

The flat next door to ours has become an AirBnB and every weekend it is now populated by Legend Garys listening to their boom boom boom music and having fun at all hours. Disgusting. After the complaints last weekend following a load of lads making a racket on the landing at 5am and leaving their front door open while playing music we got a letter from the people running the AirBnB attached to a bottle of wine left outside our door apologising. But, like, an apology doesn't mean that it isn't going to be like this every weekend now so we ignored it. My missus and the woman who lives in the other flat on our floor had a meeting with the building manager today and it sounds like they are going to actually get this AirBnB stopped, which surprised me as I thought we wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I'm enjoying being at the periphery of all this domestic drama. I for one welcome my new life as a NIMBY curtain twitcher.

Icehaven

Quote from: Inspector Norse on June 14, 2019, 07:39:43 AM

Yep it happened in Birmingham a few times before the law change, most notably The Rainbow in Digbeth, which has been there since the 60s, and had to find thousands to put a roof on the garden or face closure due to one complaint from a brand new apartment block that had been thrown up nearby. And the Hare and Hounds in King's Heath started a petition when there was a proposal to build flats in the ridiculously tiny gap between them and the building next door, which was basically a tactic to get the H&H shut down so the premises would be up for grabs to probably the same property developers. The plans got thrown out in the end as the flats would have been roughly the size and shape of a squashed shoebox.

The rehearsal studio my band use has an old factory opposite which has just started being turned into flats, and apparently the planning application required a noise level reading to be submitted in order to decide if the levels were acceptable for a residential area. They did the reading at 7am. The studio is open from about 10am to 11pm every day, and the noise during that time is exactly what you'd expect dozens of bands all playing at the same time only 30ft and a brick wall away sounds like. I go there twice a week and contribute to that noise but I sure as shit wouldn't want to live there.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 14, 2019, 11:51:13 AM

He could hear a guitar from that far away?

Sounds like that thing we all do when we look for things to irritate us, like in that Limmy sketch.