Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:20:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Toppermost of the Poppermost - UK Number Ones : part 2 - The 1960s

Started by daf, June 12, 2019, 01:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Lots of puns for his obituary: Floyd Cremater, Crammer, Creamer

daf

Delicious Hot! Disgusting Cold!, it's . . .

118.  The Temperance Seven - You're Driving Me Crazy

Weeks : 1
Flip side : Charley My Boy
bonus : It's Trad Dad!

The Temperance Seven was founded at Christmas 1955 by students at the Chelsea School of Art, though the band mythologized its foundation as dating from 1904 at the fictitious Pasadena Cocoa Rooms, Balls Pond Road, North London.

The three founder members were Paul McDowell (trombone), Philip Harrison (banjo) and Brian Innes (drums). Gradually the band evolved into a nine-piece ensemble with a light-hearted and humorous performing style, although they were all serious musicians.

The name "Temperance Seven" was a subtle play on words suggested by Douggie Gray, of The Alberts fame – the number seven being "one under the eight", and there were nine members or "one over the eight" implied intemperance.

In Aug 1960 they released their first EP : The Temperance Seven Inch Record, consisting of :
The Eton Boating Song  /  Laughing Blues  /  Alexander's Ragtime Band  /  Bill Bailey Won't You Please Come Home

In 1960 they recorded "Ukulele Lady" with vocal refrain by Peter Sellers, produced by George Martin. It was featured on the Parlophone 12-inch album called "Peter and Sophia", along with the hit single "Goodness Gracious Me", and "Bangers and Mash".

In 1961 the Temperance Seven achieved national fame with the #1 hit "You're Driving Me Crazy", again produced by George Martin - which gave him his first number one hit as a producer.

It was quickly followed by "Pasadena" (b/w "Sugar"), which reached No. 4 in the UK Singles Chart in June 1961.

They toured the UK widely that year, often in shows promoted by their manager Ralph Peters and their performances acquired a set routine beginning with the last few bars of "Pasadena" (which became their signature tune) and ending with the stirring strains of the "Gaumont-British News". By the summer of 1961 their fame was such that they appeared at the London Palladium for a two-week top of the bill performance. This was arranged by Ralph in combination with an appearance at that year's Royal Variety performance.

The Temperance Seven dressed in a manner appropriate to the style of music they played. Some members also went under preposterous pseudonyms emphasised by the wearing of a minor yet conspicuous item of clothing – Colin Bowles a dog collar and John R. T. Davies a fez. "Josef Kronk", who supposedly arranged The Temperance Seven 1961 LP, was the collective pseudonym for the band. The early personnel included:

Clifford Bevan (tuba, piano, trombone)
    Joe Clark (clarinet)
    "Canon" Colin Bowles (piano, harmonium)
    Alan Swainston Cooper (clarinet, bass clarinet, soprano saxophone, phonofiddle, pedal clarinet, Swanee whistle)
    John R.T. Davies "Sheik Haroun of Wadi el Yadounir" (trombone, second trumpet, alto saxophone)
    Martin Fry "Franklyn D. Paverty" (sousaphone)
    John Gieves-Watson (banjo, spoons)
    Phillip "Fingers" Harrison (banjo, alto saxophone, baritone saxophone)
    Cephas Howard "Captain, cashiered" (trumpet, euphonium)
    Brian Innes "Professor Emeritus" (percussion)
    "Whispering" Paul McDowell (trombone, vocal refrains)

In Oct 1961 they reached #28 with "Hard Hearted Hannah", and scored a top 22 placing in December for the dance-craze double of  "The Charleston" /  "The Black Bottom"

Before the band became famous, Paul McDowell had also been a member of the Experimental Theatre Club revue, with Ian Davidson, Robin Grove-White and Doug Fisher. At the time, they had been performing their show, called "****" (Four Asterisks), at the Edinburgh Fringe, but after the runaway success of "You're Driving Me Crazy", McDowell had to quit the group to tour with his band. This prompted Davidson to look for a replacement, and he found Terry Jones, future Monty Python member, who thus obtained his first chance to be part of the revue.

The Temperance Seven came to popularity during the brief resurgent trad-jazz era of the early 1960s, and in 1962 featured in Richard Lester's musical film 'It's Trad Dad!' - alongside Helen Shapiro, Chubby Checker, Gene Vincent and Kenny Ball.

In December 1962 they released the EP Runnin' Wild With The Temperance Seven, consisting of :
Runnin' Wild  /  Sahara  /  The Mooch  /  Everybody Loves My Baby

By this time popular tastes were changing with the emergence of The Dave Clark Five and "The Tottenham Sound", and The Temperance Seven gradually slipped into obscurity, although the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band and Bob Kerr's Whoopee Band would tread similar path as Hot Jazz revivalists for several years to come.

The original Temperance Seven were dissolved in the mid 1960s, but the band was resurrected in the latter part of that decade by drummer Dave Mills, who had replaced Brian Innes in 1966 and led the band for several years, firstly as The New Temperance Seven, and was instrumental in arranging their appearances in Hong Kong and Bahrain, where he eventually settled to be replaced by Ian Howarth.

As "The New Temperance Seven", they released a single in August 1972 'Loch Ness Clarionet', and backed Petula Clark on a Roaring 20s version of 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club' for her 1973 Television series.

The band continued to perform with new personnel and, from time to time, original members made guest appearances. During the 1980s, Chris Hook took over leadership of the band. The personnel have not changed since that time and the band continues to work around the UK.

In 1988 they appeared live from the Ideal Home Exhibition on the first Red Nose Day telethon giving a spirited rendition of That Certain Party.

Quote"You're Driving Me Crazy" was written by Walter Donaldson in 1930 and recorded the same year by Lee Morse, Rudy Vallée & His Connecticut Yankees and Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians. The song became a hit and was added to the 1930 musical comedy 'Smiles', starring Marilyn Miller and Fred and Adele Astaire.

In 1931, cartoon character Betty Boop sang a sexy version of the song in the pre-code cartoon Silly Scandals. As Boop sang the song, her dress slipped down repeatedly, revealing a lacy bra and causing her to squeal!! Later in the song, Betty was joined on stage by a line of mechanical dancing penguins who stomped out the beat in accompaniment to her singing.

A cover version by The Temperance Seven was recorded in 1961, reaching number 1 on the UK Singles Chart that May. Their version was a pastiche on the original, and on 1920s dance band music in general, with Paul McDowell's insincere "whispering" helping to highlight this.

Other Versions include :  Louis Armstrong (1931)  /  Jack Payne's Orchestra  (1931)  /  Gracie Fields (1931)  /  Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli (1937)  /  And looking very relaxed, Adolf Hitler on vibes . . . Charlie & His Orchestra (1940)  . . . Nice!Tommy Dorsey (1944)  /  Art Tatum (1948)  /  Patti Page (1954)  /  Mel Tormé (1955)  /  Dinah Shore (1955)  /  Joe Turner (1956)  /  Kay Starr (1957)  /  Bing Crosby (1957)  /  Frankie Vaughan (1957)  /  Sheila Guyse (1958)  /  Chet Baker (1958)  /  Lola Albright (1959)  /  Pérez Prado (1959)  /  Johnny Nash (1959)  /  Max Bygraves (1960)  /  Don Duke (1961)  /  Mel Henke (1962)  /  The McGuire Sisters (1962)  /  Sarah Vaughan (1963)  /  Ambros Seelos (1965)  /  Frank Sinatra (1966)  /  George Melly (1980)  /  Connie Evingson (2014)

On This Day :
Quote25 May : President John F Kennedy announces US goal of putting a man on Moon before the end of decade.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: daf on June 19, 2019, 04:17:02 PM
Couldn't find a link for that one, was it in 'Tutti Frutti'?

Added in some more versions - including out first appearance from a Pickwick Top of the Pops LP *

volume 45 - May 1975

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (thanks to Showaddywaddy's cover)

I see so many of those totp compilations in car boot/charity shops.

purlieu

That's one of my favourites so far. Love that 20s / 30s sound.

daf

Quote from: purlieu on July 06, 2019, 04:50:29 PM
Love that 20s / 30s sound.

Think it's out of print now, but if you can find it, this is an absolute treat :
Songs The Bonzo Dog Band Taught Us
- original versions of songs later covered by the Bonzos (and others in the same general orbit)

Including this little gem, (that might be familiar to Spike Milligan fans) :
Jack Hodges - 'Everything is Fresh Today' (1933)

Interesting that most of those acts are British even though the origin of the music is clearly New Orleans.

The British twist is kind of the contrast between hot jazz and the stiff upper lip.

machotrouts

To think there was a time when people nostalgic for the 1920s were still out buying records instead of dead. Trad jazz is to the 1960s what disco is to now. This is the 'Get Lucky' of its day. Sound of the summer.

Quote from: daf on July 06, 2019, 02:00:30 PM
Before the band became famous, Paul McDowell had also been a member of the Experimental Theatre Club revue, with Ian Davidson, Robin Grove-White and Doug Fisher. At the time, they had been performing their show, called "****" (Four Asterisks), at the Edinburgh Fringe, but after the runaway success of "You're Driving Me Crazy", McDowell had to quit the group to tour with his band.

I wouldn't have guessed that the Edinburgh Fringe had been going on long enough to feature in the Temperance Seven's back story.

I've spent today putting together an itinerary and booking tickets for this year's Fringe – unless I run out of money before I'm done, I am going to have a very packed schedule this August, and I've genuinely been wondering how to factor this thread into it. It's just I seem to have developed a consistent streak of replying to absolutely every song, regardless of whether or not I have anything of note to contribute. Maybe I need to write my posts in advance? Hopefully nobody will notice when I post "Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas – Bad to Me? Uhh, YEAH, it sure IS! Take THAT, Billy J. DICKHEADmer!" in August that I lovingly drafted it back in July.

Quote from: daf on July 06, 2019, 02:00:30 PMAnd looking very relaxed, Adolf Hitler on vibes . . . Charlie & His Orchestra (1940)  . . . Nice!

Oh wow this is new to me. This is on Spotify! Goebbels has snuck his way into my Last.fm scrobble history now.

I'd like to declare that Charlie & His Orchestra are Problematic , and officially Cancelled Trash

daf

Quote from: machotrouts on July 07, 2019, 12:19:40 AM
I am going to have a very packed schedule this August, and I've genuinely been wondering how to factor this thread into it. It's just I seem to have developed a consistent streak of replying to absolutely every song, regardless of whether or not I have anything of note to contribute.

I think I can relax the 'rules' a bit during August, if it'll help.

Here's some "Summer Holidays" posting options  :
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
a) new song every other day (i.e. with a day off in-between)
b) new song every third day (two days off in-between)
c) new song weekly (e.g. posted at precisely 7pm on a Sunday like the old Radio One Chart show)

daf

The Name'sh Preshley, Elvish Preshley, it's . . .

119.  Elvis Presley - Surrender

Weeks : 4
Flip side : Lonely Man

The Story So Far :
QuoteOn March 24, 1958, Elvis was inducted into the U.S. Army as a private at Fort Chaffee, near Fort Smith, Arkansas. Captain Arlie Metheny, the information officer, was unprepared for the media attention drawn by the singer's arrival. Hundreds of people descended on Elvis as he stepped from the bus; photographers then accompanied him into the base. Elvis announced that he was looking forward to his military stint, saying he did not want to be treated any differently from anyone else: 'The Army can do anything it wants with me'.

Later, at Fort Hood, Texas, Lieutenant Colonel Marjorie Schulten gave the media carte blanche for one day, after which she declared Elvis off-limits to the press. Soon after Elvis had commenced basic training at Fort Hood, he received a visit from Eddie Fadal, a businessman he had met when on tour in Texas. Fadal reported that Elvis had become convinced his career was finished - 'He firmly believed that'.

During a two-week leave in early June, Elvis cut five sides in Nashville. He returned to training, but in early August his mother was diagnosed with hepatitis and her condition worsened. Elvis was granted emergency leave to visit her, arriving in Memphis on August 12. Two days later, Gladys died of heart failure, aged 46. Elvis was devastated; their relationship had remained extremely close - even into his adulthood, they would use baby talk with each other and Elvis would address her with pet names.

After training, Presley joined the 3rd Armored Division in Friedberg, Germany, on October 1. While on manoeuvers, Presley was introduced to amphetamines by a sergeant. He became "practically evangelical about their benefits", not only for energy but for "strength" and weight loss as well, and many of his friends in the outfit joined him in indulging. The Army also introduced Presley to karate, which he studied seriously, training with Jürgen Seydel. It became a lifelong interest, which he later included in his live performances. Fellow soldiers have attested to Presley's wish to be seen as an able, ordinary soldier, despite his fame, and to his generosity. He donated his Army pay to charity, purchased TV sets for the base, and bought an extra set of fatigues for everyone in his outfit.

While in Friedberg, Elvis met 14-year-old Priscilla Beaulieu. They would eventually marry after a seven-and-a-half-years of grooming "courtship". In her autobiography, Priscilla says that despite his worries that it would ruin his career, Parker convinced Elvis that to gain popular respect, he should serve his country as a regular 'GI' soldier rather than in Special Services, where he would have been able to give some musical performances and remain in touch with the public. Media reports echoed Elvis' concerns about his career, but RCA producer Steve Sholes and Freddy Bienstock of Hill and Range had carefully prepared for his two-year hiatus.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Armed with a substantial amount of unreleased material, they kept up a regular stream of successful releases - Between his induction and discharge, Presley had ten top 40 hits, including "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck", the best-selling "Hard Headed Woman", and "(Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I". RCA also generated four albums compiling old material during this period.

Following Elvis' Golden Records in March 1958, RCA issued the second compilation 'For LP Fans Only' in February 1959 : a collection of nine tracks previously available in single form only, as well as "Poor Boy" from the Love Me Tender EP. Four of the tracks had been issued on Sun Records with limited release, and were very difficult to come by outside of the south : "That's All Right"  /  "Mystery Train"  /  "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone"  /  and "You're a Heartbreaker".

'A Date with Elvis' followed in June 1959 - again featuring tracks that had been issued on Sun Records with limited release, and were almost impossible to locate beyond certain parts of the south, including "Blue Moon of Kentucky"  /  "Milk Cow Blues Boogie"  /  "Baby Let's Play House"  /  and "Good Rockin' Tonight"

Even by the standards of the late 1950s and early 1960s, where long-playing albums often ran to only about 35 minutes, this was a very short album at twenty-three minutes, and as such became the lowest charting Presley LP of the decade.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In November 1959, RCA issued "Elvis' Gold Records, Volume 2" (A.K.A. "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong") - the final compilation album before Elvis returned from the Army. It consisted of both sides of five singles released during 1958 and 1959 - including "One Night", the muscular "A Big Hunk O' Love", and Machotrouts' favourite : "I Got Stung".

The famous gold lamé suit on the cover was custom-made on the request of, not Elvis, but his manager, Colonel Parker. Parker commissioned Nudie Cohn of Nudie's Rodeo Tailors to design the flashy gold suit, which cost $2,500 at the time. Just a few months earlier, Nudie had designed a red and white cowboy outfit that Elvis famously wore when he sang "(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear" in his second film, Loving You.

Nudie, a flamboyant country and western tailor, was famous for putting rhinestones on clothing for many country stars of the day. Colonel Parker, inspired by a gold costume that Liberace wore, told him: "I want you to make something for him that's out-of-this-world spectacular."

While the fans loved the outfit which seemed to fit with Elvis' rock and roll image, the one person who did not like the suit was Elvis himself. For starters, lamé is not an easy fabric to wear since it is made of thin ribbons of metallic threads. The gold pants created problems for Elvis since the gold sequins would flake off when he slid on his knees while performing.

On March 28, 1957, Elvis wore the gold lamé suit for the first time in public at the International Amphitheatre in Chicago. However, during his concert tour, he only wore the full suit a few times. For most of his 1957 performances, Elvis substituted black pants for the gold. He still wore the gold belt and jacket, but rarely wore the gold shoes or necktie. As he explained to a Vancouver DJ in 1957, he stopped wearing the gold pants since the creases were not flattering.

When costume designer Bill Belew wanted to recreate the gold lamé suit for Presley's 1968 television special, Elvis refused. He told Belew, "I always hated that suit and I won't wear it." Instead, Belew ended up creating a silver-sequined jacket with black trim that Elvis wore with black pants. Luckily for the fans, Elvis' gold lamé suit was preserved and is frequently on display at Graceland.

QuoteSurrender" is an adaptation by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman of the music of a 1902 Neapolitan ballad by Giambattista and Ernesto de Curtis entitled "Torna a Surriento" ("Come Back to Sorrento"). It hit number one in the US and UK for Elvis Presley in 1961 and eventually became one of the best selling singles of all time. This was one of 25 songs Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman wrote for Presley.

Pre-dating the James Bond theme, it's likely that Pomus & Shuman and Bond composer John Barry both drew inspiration from the earlier song '99 years Dead Or Alive" by Guy Mitchell (1955) for the distinctive opening musical motif.

Other Versions include :  Frank Sinatra (1951)  /  Dean Martin (1952)  /  Harry Secombe (1957)  /  Gracie Fields (1958)  /  Frankie Laine (1958)  /  Ramsey Lewis Trio (1959)  /  Rikki Henderson (1961)  /  The Johnny Mann Singers  (1961)  /  Liberace (1967)  /  Johnny Farago (1978)  /  Jack Jersey (1979)  /  The Residents (1990)  /  The Monks of Moramanga (2003)  /  Anna Calvi (2011)  /  Il Volo (2013)  /  Birgitte Soojin (2015)  / the name's Bot . . . Ro-Bot (2016)

On This Day :
Quote28 May : Roland Gift, (Fine Young Cannibals) born in Birmingham, Warwickshire
29 May : Melissa Etheridge, singer/songwriter, born in Leavenworth, Kansas
30 May : Harry Enfield, comedian, born in Horsham, West Sussex
31 May : Arthur Michael Ramsey appointed the 100th Archbishop of Canterbury
31 May : Union of South Africa becomes a republic, leaves Commonwealth
3 June : "Wildcat" closes at Alvin Theater NYC after 172 performances
6 June : Dee C. Lee, (Style Council), born Diane Catherine Sealy in Balham, south London
9 June : Michael J. Fox, actor, born in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
10 June : Twins Kim Deal, (Pixies / The Breeders) and Kelley Deal, (The Breeders), born in Dayton, Ohio
13 June : "Billy Barnes People" opens at Royale Theater NYC for 8 performances
14 June : Boy George, (Culture Club), born George Alan O'Dowd in Barnehurst, Bexley, London
16 June : Soviet ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev defects to West at Le Bourget Airport in Paris
18 June : Alison Moyet, (Yazoo), singer, born Geneviève Alison Jane Moyet in Billericay, Essex
19 June : Kuwait declares independence from UK
22 June : "The Beat Brothers" record Aint She Sweet, Cry for a Shadow, and When the Saints Go Marching In, & My Bonnie with Tony Sheridan, in Hamburg, Gemany
22 June : Bobby Gillespie, (Primal Scream), born Robert Bernard Andrew Gillespie in Glasgow
22 June : Jimmy Somerville, (Bronski Beat / Communards), born James William Somerville in Glasgow
24 June : Curt Smith, (Tears For Fears), born in Bath, Somerset

purlieu

Imagine Sinatra's reaction when he hears Elvis phoning in a song he did a decade earlier and still getting a #1.

machotrouts

Don't recognise the Elvis version of this at all, but 'Come Back to Sorrento' was part of my mother's Dean Martin swill playlist that seemed to permeate my childhood. On the other hand I played the James Bond theme of my own accord multiple times throughout my adolescence. Conflicted. 5/10. Residents version is the best one if that helps.

Quote from: daf on July 07, 2019, 12:44:46 PM
I think I can relax the 'rules' a bit during August, if it'll help.

Here's some "Summer Holidays" posting options  :
a) new song every other day (i.e. with a day off in-between)
b) new song every third day (two days off in-between)
c) new song weekly (e.g. posted at precisely 7pm on a Sunday like the old Radio One Chart show)

All of these would be varying degrees of very helpful! But I'm not sure I can reasonably ask the thread to pause on just my behalf? Imagine waiting several days for the machotrouts take, and then up I pop like "haha, you heard the lyrics of this 'Telstar' drivel? What a load of shit! Well, bye"

daf

Quote from: machotrouts on July 08, 2019, 02:48:33 AM
I'm not sure I can reasonably ask the thread to pause on just my behalf?

To be honest, I'm flying this by the seat of my ragged pants one day at a time, so I'd appreciate a bit of a breather myself - so two birds with one stone.

QuoteAll of these would be varying degrees of very helpful

We'll try option a) post every other day.

Hope that's OK with everyone - cruising at 'half-speed' for August (in a red Double Decker with Una Stubbs) & normal service resumes in September.

daf

Ohh Runnah . . . Ohh Runnah . . . Wohh Runa-wa-a-a-a-a-a-ys, it's . . .

120.  Del Shannon - Runaway

Weeks : 3
Flip side : Jody
Bonus : TV Appearance

QuoteDel Shannon was born Charles Weedon Westover on December 30, 1934 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The son of Bert and Leone, his family lived in nearby Coopersville, a small and rural farming community just outside Grand Rapids. There, he would learn to play ukulele from his mother and grow up the oldest of three children.

He grew up listening to country and western music - His favorite artists included Hank Williams, Hank Snow, and Lefty Frizzell and The Ink Spots. He bought his first acoustic guitar for $5. In 1954, he was drafted into the U.S. Army. In Germany, he joined the Army's "Get Up and Go" radio program, and played guitar in a band called the Cool Flames. When his army service ended, he returned to Michigan, and settled in Battle Creek.

In 1958, while working at the Carpet Outlet, by night, he found a part-time job moonlighting at the Hi-Lo Club. He was hired as a guitar player by then front-man Doug DeMott, who had organized a group called the Moonlight Ramblers. The Moonlight Ramblers consisted of DeMott as lead singer and lead guitarist, Charles Westover as rhythm guitarist, and Loren Dugger as bass player. Westover gave himself the stage name Charlie Johnson and dubbed the new band the Big Little Show Band.

After a few line-up changes - including Dick Parker (drums), Bob Popenhagen (guitar) and Max Crook (organ) - the Big Little Show Band became the hottest act in Battle Creek. Max Crook mentioned that he knew a disc jockey in his hometown of Ann Arbor, who could possibly help - DJ Ollie McLaughlin was given a few songs on reel-to-reel to take back with him to Detroit to play to Harry Balk and Irving Micahnik of Talent Artists, Inc. Westover and Crook signed a contract to become both recording artists and composers for Talent Artists.

Harry Balk suggested name changes for both of the newly signed artists. Charles Westover became Del Shannon, "Del" after a Coupe de Ville Cadillac that his carpet store boss drove at the time, and "Shannon" from the Hi Lo Club wrestler Bob White, who wanted to use the name Mark Shannon. Max Crook took the name Maximilian, a clever king-like name that sounded authoritative.

As the newly christened Del Shannon, Westover was immediately flown to New York City to record his first single "The Search" . Balk produced the session, but Shannon was too nervous in the studio and couldn't get a good take. Balk decided to scrap the session, and that there was no hope for a single.

Shannon, depressed about the failing session, was encouraged by McLaughlin and Balk to write something a little more uptempo. Demo tapes were sent off to McLaughlin, who heard a snippet of a song called "Little Runaway".

"Runaway" was released on Bigtop Records in February of 1961 and it began immediately to climb the charts. In April, Shannon appeared on Dick Clark's "American Bandstand," helping to catapult Runaway to the #1 spot on the Billboard charts where it remained for four weeks. Runaway made Shannon an instant star.

Del returned to New York in May with Max in tow to record his follow-up single, "Hats Off To Larry". Released in the summer of 1961 it reached #5 on the charts as Runaway worked its way down.

In August of '61, "So Long Baby" went to #28 on the American charts. In October, "Hey! Little Girl" also broke the American Top 40 at #38, giving Shannon a string of four hits in just his first year as a recording artist.

In February 1962, a deal was struck by Irving Micahnik for Shannon to appear in an upcoming British film, 'It's Trad Dad', with Craig Douglas and Helen Shapiro. For his next single, Shannon was talked into recording Pomus and Shuman's "Ginny In The Mirror" and "You Never Talked About Me", two songs intended specifically for the film. "Ginny In the Mirror" bombed miserably, and soured Harry Balk who was against the session to begin with.

In Nashville, Del recorded "Cry Myself To Sleep" which didn't do much in the American market, but in England, it fared well, and inspired Elton John's Crocodile Rock. "The Swiss Maid" soon followed, missing completely with the U.S. market, but breaking in at #2 in the U.K., and doing very well all across Europe. Another British tour was lined up, and Shannon toured heavily to promote his latest effort.

Balk noticed a writing freeze in Del, and decided to team him up with Bigtop writer, Maron McKenzie. McKenzie came to Shannon's house in Southfield, Michigan with the idea for "Little Town Flirt", a song he was penning for the Young Sisters. Balk set up another session for November and Shannon recorded Little Town Flirt and The Wamboo with the Young Sisters doing background vocals.

"I remember writing with Del," explained McKenzie, "We ate bologna sandwiches and wrote Little Town Flirt. 'Here she comes, walkin' down the street.' No no! 'Here she comes, that little town flirt.' We worked it out. I had this idea, 'the temptation of those ruby red lips.' Del changed it. 'the temptation of her tender red lips.' It was wonderful working with Del. He had the idea of 'paper heart' and 'tear it apart.' It all worked out. Co-writing with Del was a fun experience, one I'll never forget."

"Two Kinds of Teardrops" was released to follow up "Flirt" and it was another silver record. Del Shannon was back on top, both in America and in Europe. Shannon flew to England where he toured heavily.

Shannon shared the bill with the up and coming Beatles at the Royal Albert Hall on April 18, 1963. The Beatles took the stage just before him, playing From Me To You and Twist and Shout. Shannon was struck by From Me To You, and told John Lennon he was going to record it. Shannon loved the use of the A-minor chord in the middle of the bridge, and set up a recording session at West End Studios. On May 1, 1963, Shannon cut his own version of "From Me To You".

Del, upset with late royalties and deals going sour, left Talent Artists, Inc. and formed his own record label, Ber-Lee Records, named after his parents. The first Ber-Lee single was 'Sue's Gotta Be Mine' which made it to #71 in the U.S. and #21 on the U.K. charts. Shannon released 'That's The Way Love' in early 1964 before returning to Harry and Irving.  In Britain, 'That's The Way Love' Is was ignored, but 'Mary Jane', issued on Stateside Records, did well, breaking in at #35.

In April 1964 Del and the Royaltones recorded 'Handy Man' which made #22 in the US, and #36 in the UK - Shannon was a major hit maker stateside again.

When Shannon came off tour in March of 1965, a two day recording session was set for him at Bell Sound to cut his next single 'Break Up'  and an album's worth of tracks. Shannon's album was released about the same time as his next single, 'Move It On Over', which failed to trouble the charts.

After moving to California, Shannon signed with Liberty in 1966 and revived Toni Fisher's "The Big Hurt" and the Rolling Stones' "Under My Thumb".

In early 1967 Shannon recorded the album 'Home and Away' in England, with Andrew Loog Oldham at the helm. Intended by Oldham as the British answer to Pet Sounds, Home and Away was shelved by Liberty Records, although a handful of singles were issued, including "Led Along" and "Mind Over Matter"

In September 1967, Shannon began laying down the tracks for 'The Further Adventures of Charles Westover', which was highly regarded by fans and critics alike, despite disappointing sales. The album yielded two 1968 singles, "Thinkin' It Over" and "Gemini". 

In October 1968, Liberty Records released their final Shannon single - a cover of Dee Clark's 1961 hit "Raindrops". This brought to a close a commercially disappointing period in Shannon's career.

In the late 1960s, not having charted for several years, Shannon turned to production. In 1969, he discovered the band Smith and arranged their hit "Baby, It's You", which had been a hit for the Shirelles in 1963. In 1970, he produced Brian Hyland's million-seller "Gypsy Woman", a cover version of the hit by Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions.

Shannon's career slowed greatly in the 1970s, owing in part to his alcoholism.The Welsh rock singer Dave Edmunds produced the single "And the Music Plays On" in 1974. In 1978 Shannon stopped drinking and began work on "Sea of Love", released in 1982 on his album 'Drop Down and Get Me', produced by Tom Petty.  It was Shannon's first album in eight years.

In 1988, Shannon sang "The World We Know" with the Smithereens on their album Green Thoughts. Two years later, he recorded with Jeff Lynne of the Electric Light Orchestra, and there were rumors he would join the Traveling Wilburys after the death of Roy Orbison.

In the years leading up to his death, Shannon suffered from depression. On February 8, 1990, he committed suicide with a firearm at his home in Santa Clarita, California. Shannon was cremated, and his ashes were scattered.

Following his death, the Traveling Wilburys recorded a version of "Runaway" in his honour. Jeff Lynne also co-produced Shannon's posthumous album, Rock On, released in 1991.

Quote"Runaway" was written by Del Shannon and keyboardist Max Crook

After their first recording session for Big Top Records in New York City had ended in failure, their manager Ollie McLaughlin persuaded them to rewrite and re-record an earlier song they had written, "Little Runaway", to highlight Crook's unique instrumental sound - a clavioline-based electric keyboard called a Musitron of his own invention.

On January 21, 1961, they recorded "Runaway" at the Bell Sound recording studios, with Harry Balk as producer. Balk told Del that he would not be playing his guitar on the session, that vocals would all that he'd be doing. Shannon was upset about that, desperately wanting to play guitar on his own session, but Balk felt that because Del couldn't read music charts, he'd have to allow Al Caiola to play in his place.

After recording in A minor, producer Balk sped up the recording to pitch just below a B-flat minor. "Runaway" was released in February 1961 and was immediately successful. On April 10 of that year, Shannon appeared on Dick Clark's American Bandstand, helping to catapult it to the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100, where it remained for four weeks. Two months later, it reached number one on the UK chart, spending three weeks in that position.

Del Shannon re-recorded it in 1967, and in 1986, as the theme for the NBC television series Crime Story starring Dennis Farina, which was set in the early 1960s.

The best-known original version is in mono. However, in subsequent compilations a different take from the same recording sessions is available in stereo.

Other Versions include :
Rikki Henderson (1961)  /  Chet Avery (1961)  /  Lawrence Welk and His Orchestra (1962)  /  The Hunters (1962)  /  The Chantays (1963)  /  The Rocky Fellers (1963)  /  The Ventures (1963)  /  The Shirelles (1964)  /  Gary Lewis & The Playboys (1965)  /  Small Faces (1967)  /  Ola & Janglers (1967)  /  Elvis Presley (1969)  / Bobby Sherman (1975)  /  Charlie Kulis (1975)  /  Bobby Vinton (1975)  /  Sha Na Na (1975)  /  The Sensational Alex Harvey Band (1976)  /  Carols (1976)  /  Lee Jackson (1976)  /  Bonnie Raitt (1977)  /  Narvel Felts (1977)  /  Gary Holton and Casino Steel (1981)  /  The Shadows (1982)  /  The Boppers (1982)  /  Joe Dolan (1985)  /  Luis Cardenas (1986)  /  Forcefield (1987)  /  Screeching Weasel (1988)  /  The Bates (1989)  /  Downtown (1989) /  Ultima Thule (1993)  /  The Harvard Krokodiloes (1995)  /  Steve Goodman (1996)  /  The Cox Family (1996)  /  Gary Allan (1999)  /  The Circles (1999)  /  Jim Carroll (2000)  /  Me First and The Gimme Gimmes (2001)  /  Ac·Rock (2001)  /  3 Piece Suite (2002)  /  The Zutons (2007)  /  På Slaget 12  (2008)  /  Dion (2008)  /  Kasabian (2011)  / jdhammond on a 1958 Selmer Clavioline (2011)  /  Laurence Juber (2013)  /  The Striped Bananas (2015)  /  a robot (2016)  /  Jimbo Mathus (2017)

International Versions include :
Spanish : "Fugitiva" by Los Milos (1962)
French : "Mon amour disparu" by Rocky Volcano et ses Rock N' Rollers (1961)  /  "Vanina" by Dave (1974)
German : "Mädchenschreck" by John Dattelbaum (1961)  /  "Mein Mädchen Monika" by  Dave (1975)  /  "Märchenfee" by Rudolf Rock & die Schocker (1978)
Czech : "Čas lásky" by Jiří Helekal (1973)  /  "Žalu dřív jsem se smál" by Karel Gott (1998)
Finnish : "Sun ja mun" by Kisu  (1976)  +  Arto Nuotio (1976)  /  "Mikä sai sun suuttumaan" by Gulliver (1976) 

On This Day :
Quote25 June : Ricky Gervais, comedian, born in Reading, Berkshire
27 June : Meera Syal, actress, born in Wolverhampton, West Midlands
1 July : Lady Di, Princess of Wales, born Diana Frances Spencer in Sandringham, Norfolk
1 July : Carl Lewis, Olympic sprinter / long jumper, born in Birmingham, Alabama
2 July : Ernest Hemingway, author, dies from suicide at 61
3 July : Suicide Act 1961 decriminalises acts of, or attempts at suicide in England and Wales.
3 July : Vince Clarke, (Erasure), born in South Woodford, Essex
3 July : Tim Smith, (The Cardiacs), born in Carshalton, Surrey
8 July : Andy Fletcher, (Depeche Mode), born in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, Nottinhamland, Nottinghamwo-o-o-o-o-rld!!
15 July : "Donnybrook!" closes at 46th St Theater NYC after 68 performances

purlieu

I always thought he'd look cooler than that.

Anyway yeah, great song. The musitron solo always gives me shivers.

machotrouts

This is such a tune I can feel my clavioline quivering

Quote from: daf on July 08, 2019, 02:00:00 PM25 June : Ricky Gervais, comedian, born in Reading, Berkshire
2 July : Ernest Hemingway, author, dies from suicide at 61

The lord taketh away and the lord taketh away

Quote from: daf on July 08, 2019, 02:00:00 PM3 July : Suicide Act 1961 decriminalises acts of, or attempts at suicide in England and Wales.

Tough shit Hemingway. Should have left it a day. Under arrest bitch

machotrouts

In the 1950s thread I ranked the first 40 singles from best to worst and then the second 40 singles from best to worst and now there's been another 40 singles so I'm going to rank those too.

There are 42 entries on the list because there were 2 double A-sides. Actually there are 43 entries on the list because The Allisons are there as a sort of honorary ghost entry. Actually there are 42 entries on the list because in terms of running time I'm pretty sure the Adam Faith songs just count as one song that got accidentally split in two.

• Del Shannon - Runaway
  • Russ Conway - Side Saddle
  • Jimmy Jones - Good Timin'
  • Emile Ford & the Checkmates - What Do You Want to Make Those Eyes at Me For?
  • Johnny Kidd and the Pirates - Shakin' All Over
  • Floyd Cramer - On the Rebound
  • Michael Holliday - Starry Eyed
  • The Marcels - Blue Moon
  • The Shadows - Apache
  • Russ Conway - Roulette
  • Johnny Tillotson - Poetry in Motion
  • Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
  • The Platters - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
  • The Everly Brothers - Ebony Eyes
  • Johnny Preston - Running Bear
  • Buddy Holly - It Doesn't Matter Anymore
  • Adam Faith - Poor Me
  • Anthony Newley - Do You Mind?
  • Adam Faith - What Do You Want?
  • Anthony Newley - Why?
  • The Everly Brothers - Cathy's Clown
  • Bobby Darin - Mack the Knife
  • Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome Tonight?
    The Allisons - Are You Sure?
  • The Temperance Seven - You're Driving Me Crazy
  • Cliff Richard & The Drifters - Living Doll
  • Roy Orbison - Only the Lonely
  • Elvis Presley - Surrender
  • Shirley Bassey - As I Love You
  • Bobby Darin - Dream Lover
  • Elvis Presley - Wooden Heart
  • Ricky Valance - Tell Laura I Love Her
  • The Everly Brothers - Walk Right Back
  • Eddie Cochran - Three Steps to Heaven
  • Jerry Keller - Here Comes Summer
  • Craig Douglas - Only Sixteen
  • Elvis Presley - A Fool Such as I
  • Cliff Richard & The Shadows - Travellin' Light
  • Cliff Richard & The Shadows - Please Don't Tease
  • Cliff Richard & The Shadows - I Love You
  • Petula Clark - Sailor
  • Elvis Presley - It's Now or Never
  • Lonnie Donegan - My Old Man's a Dustman

Runaway just getting in under the line there. Bad Timin' for Good Timin'! That's the witty remark I typed before I nudged Side Saddle (banger) up two places. Makes no sense now.

I'm also keeping track of my overall top 40. Here's my top slightly-under-a-third of the songs so far, with new entries highlighted in green.

• The Everly Brothers - All I Have to Do Is Dream
  • Del Shannon - Runaway
  • Lonnie Donegan - Cumberland Gap
  • Russ Conway - Side Saddle
  • Perez Prado - Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White
  • Rosemary Clooney - This Ole House
  • Tennessee Ernie Ford - Sixteen Tons
  • Jimmy Jones - Good Timin'
  • Emile Ford & the Checkmates - What Do You Want to Make Those Eyes at Me For?
  • Johnny Kidd and the Pirates - Shakin' All Over
  • Lord Rockingham's XI - Hoots Mon!
  • Elvis Presley - I Got Stung
  • The Johnston Brothers - Hernando's Hideaway
  • Winifred Atwell - The Poor People of Paris
  • Floyd Cramer - On the Rebound
  • Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire
  • Frankie Laine - Hey Joe
  • Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers - Why Do Fools Fall in Love
  • Michael Holliday - Starry Eyed
  • Rosemary Clooney - Mambo Italiano
  • The Marcels - Blue Moon
  • The Shadows - Apache
  • Lonnie Donegan - Gamblin' Man
  • Russ Conway - Roulette
  • Elvis Presley - All Shook Up
  • The Dream Weavers - It's Almost Tomorrow
  • Johnny Tillotson - Poetry in Motion
  • Pat Boone - I'll Be Home
  • Connie Francis - Who's Sorry Now
  • Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
  • Perry Como - Magic Moments
  • Johnnie Ray - Such a Night
  • The Platters - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
  • The Everly Brothers - Claudette
  • Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock
  • Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock Around the Clock
  • Doris Day - Que Sera, Sera
  • Mantovani - The Song from Moulin Rouge
  • The Everly Brothers - Ebony Eyes
  • Slim Whitman - Rose Marie

Every one of those songs is AT LEAST a solid 6/10.

sevendaughters

Shannon the best #1 so far and yet I have a feeling it will be topped in 1961.

I'll stick with my feeling that the Frankie Lymon classic is the best #1 we'll hear until Motown's first one.

sevendaughters

also maybe it's the Andy Kaufman fan in me but I love 'Rose Marie', it has a slight edge of ridiculousness that the best pop songs pre-Fabs had., ie. Runaway, Crying, (upcoming unnamed song of 1961).

The Culture Bunker

This just about tops the Big O's 'Only the Lonely' for me, but there's not much in it. I wounder if when he was asked to join the Travelling Wilburys, he decided throwing a seven was a better idea?

daf

Bye Bye Lads, it's . . .

121.  Everly Brothers - Temptation

Weeks : 2
Flip side : Stick With Me Baby
bonus : Alternate Take

QuoteIn 1961, the brothers fell out with Wesley Rose during the recording of "Temptation." Rose was reportedly upset that the Everlys were recording a song which he had not published and, hence, for which he would not receive any publishing royalties, and he made strenuous efforts to block the single's release. The Everlys held firm to their position, and as a result, in the early 1960s, they were shut off from Acuff-Rose songwriters. These included Felice and Boudleaux Bryant, who had written and composed most of their hits, as well as Don and Phil Everly themselves, who were still contracted to Acuff-Rose as songwriters and had written several of their own hits. Nevertheless, from 1961 through early 1964, the Everlys recorded songs by other writers to avoid paying royalties to Acuff-Rose. They used the pseudonym "Jimmy Howard" as writer or arranger on two selections they wrote and recorded during this time. This ruse, however, was ultimately unsuccessful, as Acuff-Rose gained legal possession of the copyrights once the name substitution was discovered.

About this time, the brothers also set up their own record label, Calliope Records, for solo projects. Using the pseudonym "Adrian Kimberly," Don recorded a big-band instrumental version of Edward Elgar's first "Pomp and Circumstance" march, which Neal Hefti arranged and which charted in the United States top 40 in mid-1961. Further instrumental singles credited to Kimberly followed, but none of those charted. Phil formed the Keestone Family Singers, which featured Glen Campbell and Carole King. Their lone single, "Melodrama", failed to chart, and by the end of 1962, Calliope Records had gone out of business.

Their enlistments in the United States Marine Corps Reserve in October 1961 took them out of the spotlight. One of their few performances during their Marine service was on The Ed Sullivan Show, on February 18, 1962, while outfitted in their Marine Corps uniforms, they performed "Jezebel" and "Crying in the Rain" - which became a #6 hit in the UK charts.

The brothers' dispute with Acuff-Rose lasted until 1964, when they resumed writing and composing as well as working with the Bryant spouses. By then, however, both of the Everlys were addicted to amphetamines. Don's condition was worse: he was taking Ritalin, which led to deeper trouble. Don's addiction lasted three years, until he was hospitalized for a nervous breakdown and to treat his addiction. When Don collapsed in England in mid-October 1962, reporters were told he had food poisoning. Don's poor health ended their British tour; he returned to the United States, leaving Phil to carry on with Joey Page, their bass player, taking Don's place.

Though their US stardom had begun to wane two years before the British Invasion in 1964, their appeal was still strong in Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. The Everlys remained particularly successful in the UK with "The Price of Love" reaching #2 and "Love Is Strange" a Top 11 hit in 1965.

The 1966 album Two Yanks in England was recorded in England with The Hollies, who also wrote and composed many of the album's songs. The Everlys' final US top 40 hit, "Bowling Green," was released in 1967.

By the end of the 1960s, the brothers had returned to country rock, and their 1968 album, 'Roots', was hailed by some critics as "one of the finest early country-rock albums." However, by the end of the 1960s, the Everly Brothers had ceased to be hitmakers in either North America or the United Kingdom - their final Top 40 entry in the UK was "It's My Time" in 1968.

In 1970, Don released his first solo album, which was not a success. The brothers resumed performing in 1971 and issued two RCA Victor Records albums in 1972 and 1973. The Everlys announced their final performance would be on July 14, 1973, at Knott's Berry Farm, in California, but tensions between the two surfaced, and Don told a reporter he was tired of being an Everly Brother. During the show, Phil smashed his guitar and walked off while Don finished the show, ending their collaboration. The two would not rejoin forces musically for more than ten years.

Phil and Don pursued solo careers from 1973 to 1983. Don found some success on the US country charts in the mid- to late-1970s, in Nashville with his band, Dead Cowboys, and playing with Albert Lee. Don also performed solo at an annual country music festival in London in mid-1976, and  recorded "Everytime You Leave" with Emmylou Harris on her 1979 album Blue Kentucky Girl.

The brothers' reunion concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London on September 23, 1983, which ended their ten-year-long solo careers, was initiated by Phil and Don alongside Terry Slater, with Wingfield as musical director. This concert was recorded for a live LP and video broadcast on cable television in mid-January 1984. The brothers returned to the studio as a duo for the first time in over a decade, recording the album EB '84, produced by Dave Edmunds. The lead single, "On the Wings of a Nightingale", written and composed by Paul McCartney, was a success and returned them to the US and the UK charts.

Their final charting single was 1986's "Born Yesterday", from the album of the same name. In 1990, Phil recorded a duet with Dutch singer René Shuman. "On Top of the World" was written and composed by Phil, who appeared in the music video they recorded in Los Angeles.

In 1998, the brothers recorded "Cold" for Andrew Lloyd Webber's and Jim Steinman's musical Whistle Down the Wind, and the recording was used in stage versions as source music. This would be the final original recording the Everly Brothers would ever make as a duo.

The brothers joined Simon & Garfunkel in their "Old Friends" reunion tour of 2003 and 2004. As a tribute to the Everly Brothers, Simon & Garfunkel opened their own show and had the Everlys come out in the middle. The live album Old Friends: Live on Stage contains Simon & Garfunkel discussing the Everlys' influence on their career and features all four on "Bye Bye Love".

Phil Everly died in Burbank, California, on 3 January 2014, 16 days before his 75th birthday, of lung disease. Phil's widow Patti blamed her husband's death on his smoking habit. Phil's last public appearance was in 2011, at Buddy Holly's induction to Hollywood Boulevard's Star Walk of Fame, and he was then struggling to catch his breath as he addressed the crowd. Patti established the Phil Everly Memorial COPD Foundation in 2014.

In a 2014 interview Don admitted that he had lived "a very difficult life" with his brother and that he and Phil had become estranged once again in later years, something which was mainly attributed to "their vastly different views on politics and life," with the music being the one thing they shared closely, saying, "it's almost like we could read each other's minds when we sang." However, Don also stated he had not gotten over Phil's death, saying, "I always thought about him every day, even when we were not speaking to each other. It still just shocks me that he's gone."

In a 2016 interview Don said he was still coping with the loss of Phil and that he had kept some of his brother's ashes in his home. He added that he would pick up the ashes every morning and say "good morning," while admitting that it was a peculiar ritual.

Quote"Temptation" was written by Nacio Herb Brown and lyrics by Arthur Freed in 1933.

The song was introduced by Bing Crosby in the 1933 film Going Hollywood, and it reached the No. 3 spot in the charts of the day during a 12-week stay.  He recorded it again with John Scott Trotter's Orchestra on March 3, 1945 and also for his 1954 album Bing: A Musical Autobiography.

The Everly Brothers' version, released in May 1961, reached #1 in the UK charts - their fourth and final UK number one. This version also peaked at #27 in the US.

In 1977, an interpretation was featured in the first episode of The Muppet Show, with Miss Piggy, four chickens, four frogs, and two male pigs being led by Kermit the Frog in the Muppet Glee Club, Miss Piggy sang a solo in the third verse until the end, her voice being performed by Richard Hunt instead of Frank Oz, her then-regular performer. In a later episode, three octopuses played the song on the drums and kazoo. Animal took offense to their bad playing, and attacked them.

Other Versions include :  Artie Shaw (1940)  /  Xavier Cugat (1941)  /  Perry Como (1945)  /  Jo Stafford and Red Ingle (1947)  /  Billy Eckstine (1949)  /  Les Baxter (1956)  /  Frank Chacksfield (1956)  /  The Platters (1956)  / Joe Cuba (1956)  /  Larry Sonn (1957)  /  Sammy Davis Jr. (1957)  /  Lionel Newman (1957)  /  Pete Rugolo (1957)  /  Stan Kenton (1957)  /  Sarah McLawler and Richard Otto (1958)  /  Helen Grayco (1958)  /  Mario Lanza (1958)  /  Ferrante and Teicher (1958)  /  Screamin' Jay Hawkins (1958)  /  Boots Randolph (1959)  /  Teddi King (1959)  /  Lawrence Welk (1960)  /  Steve Lawrence (1960)  /  Ray Conniff (1960)  /  Cliff Richard (1961)  /  Diana Trask (1961)  /  Frances Faye (1961)  /  Jane Morgan (1961)  /  Don Duke (1961)  /  Enoch Light and The Light Brigade (1962)  /  Al Caiola and The Nile River Boys (1963)  /  The Shadows (1964)  /  The Drifters (1965)  /  X-Group (1965)  /  Esquivel (1966)  /  Billy Stewart (1967)  /  Baja Marimba Band (1967)  /  Buddy Merrill (1968)  /  The Sandpipers (1969)  /  Showaddywaddy (1974)  /  Perry Como (1974)  / Disco Time! Lou Donaldson (1976)  /  Saucy Time! HOT R.S. (1978)  /  Geoff Love and His Orchestra (1978)  /  featuring the rarely heard opening "verse" Johnny Mathis (1980)  /  Lee Towers (1983)  /  June Carter Cash (2003)  /  Cherry Poppin' Daddies (2015)  /  The Hillbilly Moon Explosion (2016) /  the roboty brothers (2016)

On This Day :
20 July : Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley's musical "Stop the World – I Want to Get Off" Opens in the West End, London
23 July : Martin Gore, (Depeche Mode), born in Dagenham, Essex
23 July : American opera singer Grace Bumbry becomes the first black singer to perform at the Bayreuth Festival, Germany, [as 'Venus' in Wagner's 'Tannhäuser'] she earns 42 curtain calls

machotrouts

I don't know anything about publishers, is that whole drama as bizarre and petty as it seems to me? I didn't know cheating on songwriters could be a thing. Even then I feel like a cover of a 30-year-old song doesn't really count as writer infidelity. It's like wanking to an old photo of an ex. Haven't really nailed that analogy but I am not interested in improving it.

Don't recognise the song in any form, but the Everly Brothers one certainly stands out – all the other arrangements seem to be on some Lawrence of Arabia bolero shit. Which is fine and good but I do require the hhhAYY yyyAYY yyyAYY yah. yyyAYY yyyAYY yyyAYY YAH. YYYAYY YYYAYY YYYAYY YAH! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

daf

My Resistance is High, it's . . .

122.  Eden Kane - Well I Ask You

Weeks : 1
Flip side : Before I Lose My Mind
bonus : 2016 interview

Quote'Eden Kane' was born Richard Graham Sarstedt in New Delhi, India, on 29 March 1940. His parents Albert and Coral were civil servants. When Richard was a child, the family — including his two younger brothers Peter and Clive, and their three sisters — moved to Kurseong, near Darjeeling, to run a tea plantation. He attended a boarding school until March 1954, when, after his father's death, he moved with his brothers, sisters and mother to the UK. They settled in Norbury, Croydon.

Inspired by Bill Haley, he learned guitar and formed a skiffle group, the Fabulous 5, which included his younger brothers. He entered a talent contest at the Classic Cinema in Kings Road, Chelsea, where he won a contract to sing an advertising jingle for Cadbury's Drinking Chocolate, which was played frequently on Radio Luxembourg.

He was signed by management team Philip Waddilove and Michael Barclay, who changed Sarstedt's name to Eden Kane – "Eden" because of its biblical associations at a time when Adam Faith was a top pop star, and "Kane" because Citizen Kane was Barclay's favourite film.

His first recording Decca Records, "Well I Ask You"— written by Les Vandyke, arranged by John Keating, and produced by Bunny Lewis — reached No. 1 on the UK Singles Chart in August 1961. It was followed by three more top ten hits in the UK over the next year, "Get Lost" (#10)  /   "Forget Me Not" (#3)   /  and "I Don't Know Why" (#7). 

Together with a backing band, the Downbeats, which comprised Roger Retting, Ben Steed, Roger St. Clair and Bugs Waddell, he toured widely around the UK with such stars as Cliff Richard, Billy Fury and Helen Shapiro. His brother Peter was the band's road manager, later joining on bass, with brother Clive joining on guitar. His fifth single for Decca, "House to Let", failed to chart, and later releases for the label were equally unsuccessful.

He left Decca and joined Philips subsidiary Fontana in 1963. Like many of his teen idol peers, Kane sought to stave off chart oblivion by hitching a ride onto the beat boom bandwagon, but some momentum was lost when his next release, originally titled 'Do You Love Me' had to be reissued with a new title, "Like I Love You", to avoid confusion with the Brian Poole & the Tremeloes and Dave Clark Five covers of the Contours' US hit. His third single for Fontana, "Boys Cry", returned him to the charts in January 1964 breaking into the Top 8, but it was to be his last hit.

After his chart success in Britain dried up, Kane moved to live in California, working as a record producer.

His brothers, Peter and Clive, both achieved chart success in the UK - Peter topping the charts in 1969 with "Where Do You Go To My Lovely",  and Clive (as "Robin" Sarstedt) scoring a top 3 hit with "My Resistance Is Low" in 1976.

In 1972, the three brothers recorded an album as the Sarstedt Brothers : 'Worlds Apart Together', On 20 June 1973, the brothers made their first joint appearance as a group, at Fairfield Halls in Croydon.

Kane has occasionally joined "oldies" tours in the UK with Marty Wilde, John Leyton, Brian Hyland and others, notably as part of the "Solid Gold Rock and Roll" package.  He was a contract actor on the Star Trek team, and made several appearances in the TV series Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager, under his real name Richard Sarstedt.

As of 2014, he has a CD, entitled Y2Kane, available on his website. He continues to live in Los Angeles with his wife, the journalist Charlene Groman, and their family.

QuoteWell I Ask You was written by Les Vandyke, and recorded in 1961, by Richard Graham Sarstedt, under stage name Eden Kane, as the follow-up to his 1960 debut single, "Hot Chocolate Crazy"

Arranged by John Keating, and produced by Bunny Lewis, "Well I Ask You" was issued as a single in the UK and reached number one in the UK Chart in August 1961.

Other Versions include : Paul Rich (1961)  /  Tony Rossini (1961)  /  Danny McEvoy (2011)  /  Les Attridge (2012)  /  Elisa Ramos (2018)  / 

On This Day :
Quote4 August : Barack Obama, 44th United States President (2009-17) and first African-American president, born in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Spookily this is mentioned in the CM that just dropped due to the Sarstedt family connection.

Kane gang?

purlieu

Nice bit of a bounce in that. Song's alright, but the sound and performance is a nice boost that sounds a bit more '60s and '50s.