Author Topic: Toppermost of the Poppermost - UK Number Ones : part 2 - The 1960s  (Read 110578 times)

daf

• some weirdo taking the piss
Re: Toppermost of the Poppermost - UK Number Ones : part 2 - The 1960s
« Reply #1800 on: July 26, 2020, 02:11:24 PM »
255.  The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Fire

I'm now starting to wonder if the link I posted actually was the original single version after all - or if this version was only intended for the mono LP before Kit Lambert added the brass - and was never officially released at the time. *

I found a video of someone spinning the mono Track Records single - which seems to confirm that the brass overdubs were present on the UK single, as well as the US version.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (Does anyone have a copy of the mono LP - so they can check?)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 03:10:17 PM by daf »

« Reply #1801 on: July 26, 2020, 04:51:48 PM »
I was born on August 10th 1968, and I'm really pleased that I emerged under the reign of Mony Mony rather than of that idiot Arthur Brown. 

And what the hell was he going on about in that Melody Maker interview?  How is "Smash the blacks" a positive message?  (I assume the Wallace he is referring to is George.)

daf

« Reply #1802 on: July 26, 2020, 05:19:50 PM »
Here you go -

"Mony Mony" was written by Bobby Bloom, Ritchie Cordell, Bo Gentry and Tommy James, and recorded by Tommy James and the Shondells.

A No. 3 hit in in the U.S., "Mony Mony" was the only song by the group to reach the top 20 in the United Kingdom - where it reached No. 1 in August 1968

The single spent three non-consecutive weeks at the top - initially for two weeks, and then, following a break, for one further week.

The final day of the first stretch - 10 August 1968 - was a memorable one - as it was on this very day that lovely CaB poster Keebleman was born somewhere on the Planet Earth.

Unfortunatley, the following day, that idiot Arthur Brown took over at the top of the charts - causing Keebleman to do a furious poo in protest.

« Reply #1803 on: July 26, 2020, 07:12:33 PM »
I've spoken with my Mum and she has confirmed that is exactly what happened.

daf

« Reply #1804 on: July 26, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »
Eat my dust, Mark Lewisohn!

daf

« Reply #1805 on: Yesterday at 12:02:11 PM »
Just a quick update in case anyone was wondering what the hell was going on.

I've not knocked it on the head, but I had to take a couple of weeks off to hit some insane work deadlines.

That's due to ease off, so I should be able to get back to documenting the entire history of pop again . . . fairly soon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the meantime, here's Jimmy Young with a special message for all the ladies :

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #1806 on: Yesterday at 12:43:53 PM »
Thanks for the update daf poster. Looking forward to the time when you're able to do it again.

daf

« Reply #1807 on: Yesterday at 12:52:09 PM »
Zing! ;^)

Tags: