Author Topic: Toppermost of the Poppermost - UK Number Ones : part 2 - The 1960s  (Read 119295 times)

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
Re: Toppermost of the Poppermost - UK Number Ones : part 2 - The 1960s
« Reply #1860 on: September 04, 2020, 06:43:15 PM »
I'm quite fond of the first Bee Gees album, even if it wears its influences on its sleeves so much that its sleeves are basically little more than influences, but by this point I find them so staggeringly boring. This song is a great example of that.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #1861 on: September 05, 2020, 12:33:04 PM »
They still released some good stuff after this, though. The Odessa album comes out in 1969.

« Reply #1862 on: September 05, 2020, 12:55:54 PM »
There was a Bee Gees Mk I thread on here not long ago and I was of the opinion that you could make a bloody good album from all their 60s stuff (maybe even a double), but it'd be miserable as fuck.

« Reply #1863 on: September 05, 2020, 06:50:56 PM »
I heard Jive Talkin' the other day and it is absolute genius, taking a form from black and gay cultures and making it their own. I think only Elton John was more succesful in the Billboard charts than the Bee Gees in the 70s. I think they are third only to The Beatles and Beach Boys as white vocal harmony groups.

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #1864 on: September 07, 2020, 11:00:25 AM »
He admitted himself that Half the World Away is blatantly influenced by This Guy's in Love with You. It is, however, the only song in Noel's oeuvre that sounds anything like Bacharach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiqxn3iOmxY

Right you are. I think, in my own defence, I fucking hate Noel Gallagher.

daf

• some weirdo taking the piss
« Reply #1865 on: September 11, 2020, 02:00:03 PM »
Nice vest mate! it's . . .

257b. (NME 252.)  Tom Jones - Help Yourself

Weeks : 2
Flip side : Day By Day

The Story So Further : 1993 - 2006
In 1993, Jones signed with Interscope Records and released the album 'The Lead And How To Swing It'. The first single, "If I Only Knew" went to #11 in November 1994 in the UK. The collaboration with Tori Amos, "I Wanna Get Back With You tanked at #94 in April 1995.

In 1996, he appeared as himself in Tim Burton's ensemble science-fiction comedy film Mars Attacks!. A scene in the film features Jones performing on stage when aliens attack and he manages to escape with a gun.

In 1997, Jones contributed to the soundtrack for the UK comedy film The Full Monty, recording "You Can Leave Your Hat On".

In 1999, Jones released the album Reload, a collection of cover duets with contemporary pop stars, including Natalie Imbruglia, Portishead and Robbie Williams. The album went to #1 in the UK and sold over 4 million copies worldwide.

Five singles from the album charted in the UK top 40 : "Burning Down The House" with The Cardigans reached #7 in September 1999  /  "Baby, It's Cold Outside" with Cerys Matthews from Catatonia reached #17 in December 1999  /  "Mama Told Me Not To Come" with The Stereophonics -  #4 in March 2000  /  "Sex Bomb" with Mousse T - #3 in May 2000  / and "You Need Love Like I Do" with Heather Small reached #24 in November 2000.

Priapic US President Bill Clinton invited Jones to perform on New Year's Eve at the 2000 millennium celebrations in Washington, D.C. In 2000, Jones garnered a number of honours for his work, including a BRIT Award for Best British Male.

In 2002, Jones released the album 'Mr. Jones', which was produced - (one time) - by Haitian-American rapper Wyclef Jean. The album and the first single, "Tom Jones International", reached #31 in November 2002. Another single from the album, "Black Betty" ambled to the foothills of the hit parade, setting up base camp at #50 in March 2003.

In 2003, Jones received the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music . The following year, he teamed up with boogie-woogie pianist Jools Holland and released 'Tom Jones & Jools Holland', a roots rock 'n' roll album, which peaked at #5 in the UK. A single from the album, "It'll Be Me" planted it's flag on the #84 position in October 2004.

On 28 May 2005, in celebration of his upcoming 65th birthday, Jones returned to his homeland to perform a concert in Ynysangharad Park, Pontypridd, before an audience of about 20,000. This was his first performance in Pontypridd since 1964. That same year, the BBC reported that Jones was Wales's wealthiest entertainer, having amassed a fortune of £175 million quid!!

Jones collaborated with Australian pop singer John Farnham in 2005 and released the live album 'Farnham & Tom Jones – Together in Concert'. The following year, Jones worked with Chicane and released the dance track "Stoned in Love", which went to #7 in the UK Singles Chart in April 2006.

Jones, who had been awarded an OBE in 1999, was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2006 at Buckingham Palace for his services to music.

Sir Tom Jones : "When you first come into show business and get a hit record, it is the start of something. As time goes by it just gets better. This is the best thing I have had. It's a wonderful feeling, a heady feeling."

"Help Yourself" was an English-language version of the Italian song "Gli Occhi Miei" ("My Eyes"), which was written by Carlo Donida with lyrics by Mogol and originally performed by both Dino (Eugenio Zambelli) and Wilma Goich at the 1968 Sanremo Music Festival. British author and songwriter Jack Fishman (a.k.a. Larry Khan) wrote the English lyrics, which bear no relation to the original Italian.

The song is one of Jones' best known songs and reached number five in the spoddy Record Retailer compiled chart, printed in the Record Mirror - later designated as the "official chart". It also topped the chart published by the widely read and hugely popular NME for two weeks in September 1968 - So up yours, Mike Read!

It topped the charts in both Ireland and Germany, and spent three weeks at the top spot in Australia. Less sucessful accross the pond, the single stalled at #35 on the US Billboard chart.

Other Versions include"Gli occhi miei" by Wilma Goich (1968)  /  "Gli occhi miei" by Dino (1968)   /  Nora Aunor (1968)  /  Tony Ferrino (1996)  /  Danny McEvoy (2011)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Previously :
189.  Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual
227.  Tom Jones - Green Green Grass Of Home
247b. (MM 197.)  Tom Jones - Delilah
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

« Reply #1866 on: September 11, 2020, 02:37:23 PM »
I hated those singles from the 'Reload' album so much at the time. Seeing that old honking fanny rat suddenly hip again fucked me off no end.

kalowski

• the Zone of Zero Funkativity
« Reply #1867 on: September 11, 2020, 06:45:03 PM »
I hated those singles from the 'Reload' album so much at the time. Seeing that old honking fanny rat suddenly hip again fucked me off no end.
I came to post the exact same thing.

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #1868 on: September 12, 2020, 03:09:58 PM »
Yeah, those songs were fucking inescapable and all hideous. Bothered me even more that some of them were with artists I liked and respected.

This song is shit as well.

« Reply #1869 on: September 12, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »
Good god, I never knew that Reload thing existed. Ignorance = bliss, and all that. Going back a little ways, though, I am firmly of the opinion that his collab with the Art of Noise on "Kiss" summed up the eighties in a single song. And I am waiting for my commission to write a fuck-off-length essay proving it.

Captain Z

• CABBALD
« Reply #1870 on: September 12, 2020, 09:22:08 PM »
Good god, I never knew that Reload thing existed.

How? Unless you were born in the last 15 years I would have thought it was inescapable, particularly the collab with the chalkboard-voiced Stereophonics.

« Reply #1871 on: September 12, 2020, 09:23:00 PM »
Good god, I never knew that Reload thing existed. Ignorance = bliss, and all that.
The singles with the Cardigans, Stereophonics and Mousse T seemed to be everywhere. This would be when I would still hear what was on the radio or in the charts, being a student frequently propping up the union bar.

Mercifully, the Heather Small one passed me by. Can only imagine it sounding like two sea lions having a row.

« Reply #1872 on: September 12, 2020, 10:50:45 PM »
How? Unless you were born in the last 15 years I would have thought it was inescapable, particularly the collab with the chalkboard-voiced Stereophonics.

Not for those of us in the States, apparently. There are certain advantages to being a fucking Yank, believe it or don't.

« Reply #1873 on: September 12, 2020, 11:36:57 PM »
I don't mind Tom, don't own anything by him but he seems like a decent skin.

Egyptian Feast

• Nice girls don't wear cha-cha heels
« Reply #1874 on: September 13, 2020, 12:28:08 PM »

A friend who worked with him at some appearance or other around that time confirmed he absolutely honked of piss.

kalowski

• the Zone of Zero Funkativity
« Reply #1875 on: September 13, 2020, 12:37:17 PM »
I hate him. I hate his plastic surgery face and especially his tiny eyes which look like this in my mind.

« Reply #1876 on: September 13, 2020, 08:42:55 PM »
He really is the prototype of the pub singer isn't he? All volume over subtlety.

Tags: