Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:12:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brand "battery acid" joke row

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 12, 2019, 08:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Farage has called for the police to investigate after Jo Brand made a dubious joke on BBC Radio 4

Quote...Brand, speaking after Mr Farage and a number of far-right European election candidates were covered in milkshakes during campaign walkabouts in May, said "Why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?"

The comic then went on to immediately make clear she was joking and criticised the milkshake stunts.

"That's just me. I'm not going to do it," she said. "It's purely a fantasy, but I think milkshakes are pathetic, I honestly do, sorry."...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48611424

Personally I don't like the idea of people being investigated for jokes. That doesn't mean I like her joke - I don't find it funny and it's in poor taste - but I don't think it's an incitement to violence.

Twed

The thing that most disappointed me was her calling the milkshakes pathetic.

lankyguy95

If a joke about a person is incitement to violence then Jo Brand's husband must be a victim of the cruelest level of domestic violence ever committed.

rue the polywhirl

I think it is partially an incitement to violence. It's part of a drip-drip effect where the idea of chucking a corrosive substance over someone in such a way that would result in a life-changing injury or even death seem commonplace, light-hearted and acceptable, a horrifically toxic thing to do in today's cultural climate. And all for the crime of having different politics to you. Victoria Coren seemed a bit of a heartless, knuckle-dragging ogre with her comments which amounted to 'ahhhh I thought he would have been in favour of free speech' as if free speech extended to threats. Also, she would have the polar opposite opinion if the battery acid remarks were made about a Nigella Farage.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Twed on June 12, 2019, 08:20:54 PM
The thing that most disappointed me was her calling the milkshakes pathetic.

Yeah, ironic coming from her.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on June 12, 2019, 08:38:05 PM
I think it is partially an incitement to violence. It's part of a drip-drip effect where the idea of chucking a corrosive substance over someone in such a way that would result in a life-changing injury or even death seem commonplace, light-hearted and acceptable, a horrifically toxic thing to do in today's cultural climate. And all for the crime of having different politics to you. Victoria Coren seemed a bit of a heartless, knuckle-dragging ogre with her comments which amounted to 'ahhhh I thought he would have been in favour of free speech' as if free speech extended to threats. Also, she would have the polar opposite opinion if the battery acid remarks were made about a Nigella Farage.

Nigel Farage has long championed 'free speech'.

He also claimed brexit won without any aggro after Jo Cox got shot. Fuck him.

checkoutgirl

It's not a threat, if anything it's incitement like you said.

Comedians should not incite but they should be allowed do jokes that could be construed as incitement. Otherwise comedy will eventually just be Michael McIntyre and his man drawer.

Sebastian Cobb

Good job it's not a threat to say I wish farage had died in that plane crash.

poodlefaker

Also, she would have the polar opposite opinion if the battery acid remarks were made about a Nigella Farage.

Hmmm, anyone else strangely curious about the idea of a Nigella Farage?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I assumed this was about Russell Brand, but I suppose he would have said 'aqua fortis' or 'oil of vitriol'.

metaltax

This. I don't think the Police should waste their time getting involved but I do think someone should publicly ask her if, on reflection, she could perhaps have said something that wasn't quite so fucking insensitive when those sort of attacks are becoming more and more common, and the last thing they need to become is something that can be laughed off.

bgmnts

I actually do hope he gets battery acid in his face and dies a painful death.

chveik

Quote from: bgmnts on June 12, 2019, 09:50:26 PM
I actually do hope he gets battery acid in his face and dies a slow and painful death.

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on June 12, 2019, 09:50:26 PM
I actually do hope he gets battery acid in his face and dies a painful death.
i hope he's in a stupid little plane and it crashes into a lake of battery acid and while he writhes in agony as the flesh peels off his bones Jo Brand gives a piss-poor routine about how stupid men are and how cake is better

Harry Badger

Spiked taking Brand's side against Farage. Those scamps.

Fucking good job they don't allow Sadowitz on the radio.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/06/12/no-jo-brand-is-not-inciting-violence/

sponk

It's ridiculous to say no one should ever be arrested for a joke. Obviously context and setting matter, if I sent a text to an ex girlfriend saying "knock knock! Who's there? Me with a bottle of battery acid" I think I'd deserve to be arrested even though it is a joke.

lankyguy95

Quote from: sponk on June 12, 2019, 10:04:07 PM
It's ridiculous to say no one should ever be arrested for a joke. Obviously context and setting matter, if I sent a text to an ex girlfriend saying "knock knock! Who's there? Me with a bottle of battery acid" I think I'd deserve to be arrested even though it is a joke.
You wouldn't be arrested for it being a joke though - it would be the suspicion of potential violence or possibly harassment.

Tolerating police involvement for clear jokes though, whether or not they're in poor taste, is a very dangerous road to go down. There may be some tricky grey areas around something like incitement to violence but it needs to be treated very carefully. Invoking police involvement as a first response, as Farage has done, is not very bright at all.

idunnosomename

Farage is a posh enough cunt that he can get the coppers to fuck up just about anyone he doesnt like

jobotic

They don't like it up em.

What would Sargon and that Nazi dog cunt day?

cliggg

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 12, 2019, 09:14:25 PM
Hmmm, anyone else strangely curious about the idea of a Nigella Farage?
Consider you're curiosity sated.

shh

I'm sure there'd've been more vitriol if it was katie hopkins...about a mole's worth....as any fule kno......i'm so sorry.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: sponk on June 12, 2019, 10:04:07 PM

Mate if you do another post like that again I'm going to blow Robin Hood airport sky high.

*police sirens*

Mark Steels Stockbroker

She should have done this at that special non-PC comedy club, where you can say anything.

sponk

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 12, 2019, 11:00:18 PM
Mate if you do another post like that again I'm going to blow Robin

I bet you are you dirty bollocks

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on June 12, 2019, 11:05:40 PM
She should have done this at that special non-PC comedy club, where you can say anything.

Camera phones and political correctness were the death of comedy clubs.

*braces for attack from social justice*

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: cliggg on June 12, 2019, 10:44:01 PM
Consider you're curiosity sated.

Paper bag over the head and I reckon I still would.

More's the pity tbh.

Icehaven

I think generally speaking, whether or not it's incitement to violence depends very much on whether or not you agree with Nigel Farage's politics.

Pseudopath

Nice to see the Express not actually bothering with headlines anymore and just telling their readership how to react:

Wet Blanket

Piers Moron has dragged Danny Baker's disgrace into the argument so he's trending on Twitter again. If I was Baker I'd make a point of vocally rejecting the support he gets from certain circles, because he's become gammon by proxy.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Nigel FarageIf Brexit isn't delivered, I will don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines.

Investigate this terrorist next, please.