Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:57:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brand "battery acid" joke row

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 12, 2019, 08:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 16, 2019, 07:02:38 PM
I'm no mind reader, but something about the way she specifically said battery acid makes me think Brand did a bit of a Danny Baker and didn't actually make the link between what she said and the uptick of acid attacks, she just rooted around in her mental directory of nasty substances and picked out something that is also sort of mundane and thus suited to her bored demeanour. Or maybe that's just massively overthinking it.

Also, there's the sound of the word battery. It's quite blunt, like bastard. You can spit it. Although perhaps I'm being influenced by it's presence in the phrase assault and battery.

Captain Z

Brand should be charged with assault and battery acid jokes.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 16, 2019, 07:02:38 PM
I'm no mind reader, but something about the way she specifically said battery acid makes me think Brand did a bit of a Danny Baker and didn't actually make the link between what she said and the uptick of acid attacks, she just rooted around in her mental directory of nasty substances and picked out something that is also sort of mundane and thus suited to her bored demeanour. Or maybe that's just massively overthinking it.

I think it's fair to assume that Jo Brand instinctively followed that very thought process. 'Battery acid' is amusingly specific, it's the sort of phrase that anyone with a dry sense of humour would opt for.

Golden E. Pump

St_Eddie

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 16, 2019, 05:32:13 PM

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 16, 2019, 02:53:16 PM
I am a pompous, insufferable arse.

Oh, so we're going down that road are we?  Well, allow me to reply in kind...

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 16, 2019, 05:32:13 PM

Hello, I'm Lisa Jesusandmarychain and I have a problem.  I type things that I wouldn't ever dare to say to somebody's face.  I hide behind a keyboard because I'm an inherent coward,

Don't type shit that you wouldn't be willing to say face-to-face.  Just because it's the Internet, that doesn't mean that you should chuck all civility out of the metaphorical window.  Only type what you'd be willing to say to someone directly.  If you encountered me in a pub and heard me expressing the same opinion that I've expressed within this thread, would you be so quick to call me "pompous" and an "insufferable arse" to my face?  Would you heck.  It's oh so easy to type shit behind the protection of anonymity.  Everything I type, I would be willing to say to somebody directly.  It's an exemplary approach to take when interacting with others  on the Internet.  You might want to try it sometime.

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on June 17, 2019, 12:58:59 AM
State of our culture, mate.

Makes me think, she could have said 'yogurt.' instead.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 16, 2019, 02:58:57 PM
I'm self-conscious about that odd run-in we had on that "negative stereotypes" thread the other day, St Eddie, so just want to be clear than I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything.
It saddens me to read this.  I hold no grudges against you.  I can sometimes be outspoken in my opinions but please don't take that as a slight against your goodself.  There's very few people within this forum whom I hate and you're certainly not among that select crowd.  I enjoy debating across various issues.  Please don't feel that you can't engage in debate with me.  My bark is worse than my bite.  If I've offended you,then I apologise, for it was not my intention.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 16, 2019, 02:34:31 PM
Mr Ethical there.

Actually, you know what?  I've been stewing over this s all day  You mocked my PTSD, so don't you ever dare to lecture me on the finer points of ethics.

St_Eddie

And before you reply; you literally admitted in a seperate post that you purposefully poke people to get a reaction, so don't try it on with me, sunshine.   Speak to me face-to-face.  In fact, I'll post a video saying as much, face and all.  Will you be so brave?  I doubt it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Well, you've shown BeardFaceMan that you're not going to give him the satisfaction of rising to his bait right enough, pompous pants!
( I'm only messing about at this point, don't get in a nark.)

alan nagsworth

Edd mate you really need to get better at letting stuff go on here before you give yourself an aneurism or something. You're like a more morally grounded [banned troll], the way you react to some things here isn't healthy.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 17, 2019, 06:12:35 AM
It saddens me to read this.  I hold no grudges against you.  I can sometimes be outspoken in my opinions but please don't take that as a slight against your goodself.  There's very few people within this forum whom I hate and you're certainly not among that select crowd.  I enjoy debating across various issues.  Please don't feel that you can't engage in debate with me.  My bark is worse than my bite.  If I've offended you,then I apologise, for it was not my intention.
No offence has been taken, and I don't thing you've been aggressive towards me or anything, the timing just made me want to make clear that there was no grudge being played out from my side.

idunnosomename

she should've said poo. a specific sort of poo for laughs. dog poo I suppose. the worst of the poos. poo hahaha.

Heresy is a terrible show btw

St_Eddie

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 17, 2019, 10:34:29 AM
Edd mate you really need to get better at letting stuff go on here before you give yourself an aneurism or something. You're like a more morally grounded [banned troll], the way you react to some things here isn't healthy.

No, I'm absolutely fine and...

*suffers fatal heart attack*

(thank you for caring.  You're a good person)

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 17, 2019, 11:15:01 AM
No offence has been taken, and I don't thing you've been aggressive towards me or anything, the timing just made me want to make clear that there was no grudge being played out from my side.

Phew!  That's a relief.  I was worried there for a moment.  Much love.

remedial_gash

Blah blah blah, aren't people going to address the real elephant in the room that is strong acids are hard to come by, whereas strong base things like oven cleaner and drain gels can be bought in home bargains for cheap.Stop labelling them acid attacks you ignorant cunts. x

gilbertharding

The litmus test for pedantry, there.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: remedial_gash on June 18, 2019, 12:24:22 PM
Blah blah blah, aren't people going to address the real elephant in the room that is strong acids are hard to come by, whereas strong base things like oven cleaner and drain gels can be bought in home bargains for cheap.Stop labelling them acid attacks you ignorant cunts. x
I think people know this, I used the more general "corrosive substances" upthread, the media coverage means we're stuck with the acid semi-metonyms now https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_throwing

Jumblegraws

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 18, 2019, 12:32:24 PM
Nice. These sort of casual inaccuracies are always going to cause stick.

BeardFaceMan

They have the edited version of Heresy on iPlayer, does anyone have the original version? I'm curious to hear the joke in its context.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on June 18, 2019, 03:25:52 PM
I believe this is the unedited version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s0HEvEjylM

Lovely, thank you. I really am at a loss at to how anyone can hear that and think she was actually making a recommendation. A shit joke in poor taste, sure, but thats pretty much where it should end.

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 18, 2019, 12:32:24 PM

It was an example of pedantry, not a test for it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 19, 2019, 06:24:02 AM
It was an example of pedantry, not a test for it.

Bah!

I listened to Heresy yesterday evening, but had to switch it off before I burst. In a pathetic, sub 5th Form Debating Society way they were discussing the deleterious effects of the smoking ban while completely failing to grasp the idea that it is FOR THE H&S BENEFIT OF THE STAFF WHO WORK IN THESE PLACES.

poodlefaker

At least David Baddiel's not on it anymore.  Although VC-M is practically Baddiel in drag.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on June 18, 2019, 03:25:52 PM
I believe this is the unedited version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s0HEvEjylM

Thanks. Ironically, in the third section about mental health, they discuss whether it's fine to make jokes about it and mention issues of intent and so on.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 18, 2019, 07:11:47 PM
I really am at a loss at to how anyone can hear that and think she was actually making a recommendation. A shit joke in poor taste, sure, but thats pretty much where it should end.

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing about what Carl Benjamin said.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on June 29, 2019, 01:30:05 PM
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing about what Carl Benjamin said.

Exactly. What he did was make some shit jokes in poor taste about a real person, doesn't mean he should get into trouble or be stopped from saying it. It seems like you're changing your stance depending on whether you like the person who made the joke? Benjamin seems like a pretty odious cunt, I had to look him up to see who he was, but they were still jokes and he wasn't telling everyone to go out and rape Phillips as a recommendation as far as I could see, but I'm not sure how a professional comedian making a joke on a comedy show about something that has already happened is in any way comparable. That's the beauty of free speech, you're not going to like or agree with everything you hear.

So what's the stance on someone like Jerry Sadowitz calling Dianne Abbot 'King Kong'? He does lots of shit jokes in poor taste about real people that impressionable people could think were real and go out and copy his language, he's keeping racist language alive and encouraging it. Or is it just when it's people you don't like you want them shut down?

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 29, 2019, 02:31:44 PM
Exactly. What he did was make some shit jokes in poor taste about a real person, doesn't mean he should get into trouble or be stopped from saying it....
Or is it just when it's people you don't like you want them shut down?

Who have I ever recommended 'shutting down'?! When have I even said that I don't like Jo Brand?! I've been a fan of hers since she was calling herself the Sea Monster. And the 'battery acid' quip was entirely in keeping with her breezily homicidal material against men and Tories that she's been doing since the mid 80s. However her joke wasn't much of a joke at all realistically - I don't doubt she'd laugh along with the rest of you if Carl Benjamin was severely disfigured in an acid attack. She's certainly got a right to say it, but we hold professional seasoned comedians to a higher standard of comedy than UKIP candidate YouTubers.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 29, 2019, 02:31:44 PM
I'm not sure how a professional comedian making a joke on a comedy show about something that has already happened is in any way comparable.

You're not sure how the one joke is *in any way* comparable to the other joke? I can agree in as much as Carl was actively declaring that he wouldn't do something, whereas Jo was declaring that she actively wanted something to happen. Still though, neither of them need to apologise, it's just a bit of sardonic rough and tumble eh.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on June 29, 2019, 03:27:21 PM
Who have I ever recommended 'shutting down'?! When have I even said that I don't like Jo Brand?! I've been a fan of hers since she was calling herself the Sea Monster. And the 'battery acid' quip was entirely in keeping with her breezily homicidal material against men and Tories that she's been doing since the mid 80s. However her joke wasn't much of a joke at all realistically - I don't doubt she'd laugh along with the rest of you if Carl Benjamin was severely disfigured in an acid attack. She's certainly got a right to say it, but we hold professional seasoned comedians to a higher standard of comedy than UKIP candidate YouTubers.

You're not sure how the one joke is *in any way* comparable to the other joke? I can agree in as much as Carl was actively declaring that he wouldn't do something, whereas Jo was declaring that she actively wanted something to happen. Still though, neither of them need to apologise, it's just a bit of sardonic rough and tumble eh.

Fair enough, your post just had an odd tone to it, choosing Benjamin out of all the people you could have chose, like you disagreed with what I said and were using him as an example.

Still don't think it's in any way comparable. He's an MP responding directly to a tweet from someone and joking about something that hasn't happened, Brand is a professional comedian on a comedy show doing her job and making a joke about something that has already happened.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 29, 2019, 03:39:52 PM
Fair enough, your post just had an odd tone to it, choosing Benjamin out of all the people you could have chose, like you disagreed with what I said and were using him as an example.

I didn't disagree, I just extended the same rationale. Glad you have too! I chose him because the brouhaha that Jo was talking about involved hating Carl because of the joke he told, and she was on HIGNFY a week later reading off an autocue that he's a "tiny-dicked tosser" who "said he might rape Jess Phillips", so the two of them are different sides of the same coin on this issue, and different reactions to each comment have flagged up hypocrisies on both sides.

QuoteStill don't think it's in any way comparable. He's an MP responding directly to a tweet from someone and joking about something that hasn't happened, Brand is a professional comedian on a comedy show doing her job and making a joke about something that has already happened.

I think it is in a way comparable, but fair enough.