Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brand "battery acid" joke row

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 12, 2019, 08:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

First they came for the right wing bloggers, etc.

Phil_A

Doesn't even need pointing out that if someone on the right had made this remark, the overwhelming response would be something along the lines of "GOD, can't you liberal cuck millennial SJW snowflakes take a joke free speech fake news George Soros Pizzagate Qanon Killary"

The very idea of Farage being on the front line of any sort of armed conflict is laughable considering he was too cowardly to face a milkshaking, let alone a hail of bullets.

Don Khaki would be a good pseudonym for writing McNab style SAS wank fantasy novels though. There you go Nige, a good future career option once it all goes to shit.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 12, 2019, 11:48:54 PM
Paper bag over the head and I reckon I still would.

More's the pity tbh.

That there is what I believe they call a Two Bagger. Put one of the bags is for your head, in case hers falls off... is the kind of SEXIST rubbish we all thought had been consigned to the dustbin by alternative comedy.

gilbertharding

Quote from: cliggg on June 12, 2019, 10:44:01 PM
Consider your curiosity sated.

Anne Widdecombe: the college years.

biggytitbo

This Orwellian nonsense is the inevitable consequence of crafting free speech norms around people you don't like https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-calls-on-bbc-to-explain-why-jo-brand-battery-acid-joke-was-broadcast-11741134

QuotePolice are assessing Jo Brand's joke about throwing battery acid at politicians, following a complaint.

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 13, 2019, 04:55:42 PM
This Orwellian nonsense is the inevitable consequence of crafting free speech norms around people you don't like https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-calls-on-bbc-to-explain-why-jo-brand-battery-acid-joke-was-broadcast-11741134

When the right demand that people are arrested for comments they make it's the fault of the left.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

As a Tyrannical Centrist I believe in using whatever pretexts are available to get both the Left and the Right rounded up.

sponk

I suppose the dynamics are different, but I doubt the people defending Brand here would have defended this saucy bugger for his similar joke

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/134275/Danny-Dyer-sacked-from-lads-magazine-Zoo

Fambo Number Mive

Theresa May has asked the BBC for an explanation.

jobotic

Quote from: sponk on June 13, 2019, 05:34:07 PM
I suppose the dynamics are different, but I doubt the people defending Brand here would have defended this saucy bugger for his similar joke

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/134275/Danny-Dyer-sacked-from-lads-magazine-Zoo

Defending him? No fucking way. Demanding his arrest and getting the Prime Minister involved? No.

sponk

Just thinking about how hilarious it'd be if Jo Brand and Victoria Coren apologised with a series of increasingly OUTRAGEOUS messages left on Farage's voicemail

Perplexicon

It's just a joke, just like wot Boris tells about Muslim women, isn't it?? Good job on Brand for managing to offend all those unoffenable anti-snowflakes though, that's got to take some level of skill.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 13, 2019, 02:35:57 PM
First they came for the right wing bloggers, etc.
Please explain the causal relationship between this situation and deplatforming of people on new media.

Gerald Fjord

DURR DURR DURR FREE SPEECH THREAD DURRRR

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 13, 2019, 05:36:42 PM

"Well mate it's basically a joke about chucking battery acid in Nigel Farage's face instead of a milkshake. Hope this clears it up!"

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: sponk on June 13, 2019, 05:49:48 PM
Just thinking about how hilarious it'd be if Jo Brand and Victoria Coren apologised with a series of increasingly OUTRAGEOUS messages left on Farage's voicemail

What point are you trying to make here? Pretty much everyone agrees that Ross and Brand behaved like total dicks when they left some witlessly crude voicemail messages for a harmless elderly actor. Jo Brand joking about throwing battery acid at a far-right politician isn't in the same ballpark at all.

sponk

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 13, 2019, 06:11:15 PM
What point are you trying to make here? Pretty much everyone agrees that Ross and Brand behaved like total dicks when they left some witlessly crude voicemail messages for a harmless elderly actor. Jo Brand joking about throwing battery acid at a far-right politician isn't in the same ballpark at all.

The point I was making was that I'd find it genuinely funny if, instead of caving in to pressure from right-wing tabloids and politicians they did something that would piss them off even more.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 13, 2019, 06:06:34 PM
"Well mate it's basically a joke about chucking battery acid in Nigel Farage's face instead of a milkshake. Hope this clears it up!"

I'd throw the acid while still contained in a car battery, like I'm Adam Ant or something.

Quote from: sponk on June 13, 2019, 06:25:42 PM
The point I was making was that I'd find it genuinely funny if, instead of caving in to pressure from right-wing tabloids and politicians they did something that would piss them off even more.

Ah, right. Yes, that would be funny. Sorry, I'm tired.

sponk

I can't believe she suggested battery acid. Free-range would be more ethical.

I like the specificity of 'battery acid'. It has a pleasing comic rhythm too. A nice assemblage of syllables. I suppose that's because Jo Brand has worked as a professional comedian for over 30 years, so she just intrinsically gets why certain words and sounds are funny. Also, she absolutely knew that joke would wind up the very people it was supposed to wind up, which makes it funnier.

It's not a particularly brilliant line or anything, it's just a throwaway bit of typically acerbic Jo Brand humour, but she must be rather pleased that it's highlighted the rank hypocrisy of right-wing defenders of free speech and bantz.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 13, 2019, 05:57:25 PM
Please explain the causal relationship between this situation and deplatforming of people on new media.

Because censorship of some DICKHEAD everyone hates is a loss leader for censorship of everyone.

jsgibble

Apparently they've taken the line out of the iPlayer one, which is a shame

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Zetetic

Thursday

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 13, 2019, 05:36:42 PM

They should say "here's your explanation..." and then throw battery acid in her face.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Thursday on June 13, 2019, 11:23:36 PM
They should say "here's your explanation..." and then throw battery acid in her face.

Made me laugh, but...

phantom_power

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 13, 2019, 08:38:19 PM

Because censorship of some DICKHEAD everyone hates is a loss leader for censorship of everyone.

Neither of those things is censorship though

Jumblegraws

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 13, 2019, 08:38:19 PM

Because this sort of thing never happened until Alex Jones lost his Facebook account, right? You're talking pish