Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:28:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brand "battery acid" joke row

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 12, 2019, 08:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Lenny who?

Edit: new page schmuck.

If you gave Jo Brand a milkshake she'd just try and drink it!!! wahey

Quote from: A Car With No Doors on June 14, 2019, 02:41:55 PM

This was genuinely gervais' joke on the subject.

Chollis

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 12, 2019, 10:02:09 PM
i hope he's in a stupid little plane and it crashes into a lake of battery acid and while he writhes in agony as the flesh peels off his bones Jo Brand gives a piss-poor routine about how stupid men are and how cake is better

I hope those two things are done, but by the other of those two parties.  Farage would be discredited with his followers, while Jo Brand could prove her artistic integrity by laughing at jokes about her plight, and even making new ones.

idunnosomename

I mean for the record I think Jo Brand is a pretty talented comedian but like Paul Merton she got very lazy

thenoise

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on June 14, 2019, 02:55:06 PM

I didnt see the context but I assume the joke was that everyone assumed she would reel out one of her 'I like food' gags, but actually unleashed a lot of farage hatred instead, thus being a comedy of surprise thing. The joke isn't really funny, wouldn't work being retweeted by strangers at Farage etc, but from Brand and in context it might raise a chuckle.

Bobtoo

I still have it on my iPlayer download.

They were talking about Brexit and whether it has divided the nation. I don't know if it's been quoted in full anywhere but here is what she said.

QuoteYes I would say that, but I think that's because certain unpleasant characters are being thrown to the fore, and they're very very easy to hate, and I'm kind of thinking, why bother with a milk shake when you could get some battery acid?
*Audience laughter*
That's just me. It's alright, I'm not going to do it, it's purely a fantasy, but I think milk shakes are pathetic, I honestly do, sorry.

BlodwynPig

QuotePolice are assessing Jo Brand's joke about throwing battery acid at politicians, following a complaint.

"Here Sarge, what do you reckon to this one?"

"Don't get it. Fookin poofters. Pass us a doughnut you big wally"

Barry Admin

Quote from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48640411The Metropolitan Police has said it will take no further action over Jo Brand's comments on a radio show about throwing battery acid at politicians.

Yeooooo... stick that up your bangle, Farage.

Jittlebags

Yes I expect Farage was frothing around the gills (literally, not metaphorically) there hoping to get one over the lefty liberals.

Mister Six

Surprised to see anyone on here taking against Brand on this issue. It's transparently one of those bullshit things where the right pretends to get all outraged about an obvious joke to shore up the delusional beseiged victim mentality that they use to justify acting like absolute cunts 24/7. See also that Barron Trump "home-school shooter" joke that all the GOP pretended to be appalled by a couple of years back, like most of them haven't been telling racist jokes and other vile shit out of earshot over the decades.

St_Eddie

I'm against Brand in this case and I'm not right wing.  It was an irresponsible joke to make.  The fact that Farage is an evil little hobgoblin is beside the point.  I don't agree with the idea of chucking acid in anyone's face, regardless of whoever the target may be (not that I'm suggesting that anyone here is saying otherwise).  I know that it was just a joke but like I say, it's irresponsible because acid attacks are all too real in today's society and joking about carrying one out normalises it and could even potentially encourage it.  Aside from anything else, it kinda just makes me feel bad for all of the victims of horrific acid attacks and how they must be feeling upon reading the news of Brand's ill-advised joke.

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 16, 2019, 01:40:34 AM
I'm against Brand in this case and I'm not right wing.  It was an irresponsible joke to make.  The fact that Farage is an evil little hobgoblin is beside the point.  I don't agree with the idea of chucking acid in anyone's face, regardless of whoever the target may be (not that I'm suggesting that anyone here is saying otherwise).  I know that it was just a joke but like I say, it's irresponsible because acid attacks are all too real in today's society and joking about carrying one out normalises it and could even potentially encourage it.  Aside from anything else, it kinda just makes me feel bad for all of the victims of horrific acid attacks and how they must be feeling upon reading the news of Brand's ill-advised joke.

This.

lankyguy95

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 16, 2019, 01:40:34 AMAside from anything else, it kinda just makes me feel bad for all of the victims of horrific acid attacks and how they must be feeling upon reading the news of Brand's ill-advised joke.
Hardly Brand's fault. That's on the people who made a huge deal of it and gave it all that press coverage.

And lots of things are "all too real" in society, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be joked about. Brand's was a bit close to the mark in terms of aggression against an individual but comedians should have the freedom to make mistakes with their jokes. That police ended up getting involved was pathetic.

BeardFaceMan

So to the people who are against Brand, what is you are against exactly? Should people not be allowed to tell jokes about certain subjects or are you just expressing distaste at her joke?

alan nagsworth

Come on you know Farage would have been making some sort of "stomach acid" joke to his pals immediately afterwards. Nobody looks great in this particular scenario but the end result of the police not pursuing the matter any further is A Good Thing.

St_Eddie

I don't think that Brand should have been charged with anything, as I believe in freedom of speech, though I do think that they moment that you start to imply or even possibly incite an acid attack on a specific person, that it's kinda going beyond mere freedom of speech.  I think that a joke can be made about anything; yes, even acid attacks.  I wouldn't necessarily find such a joke funny, personally speaking but that's irrelevant.  I fundamentally think that one should be able to joke about absolutely anything.

However, there is a difference between making a joke about acid attacks and actually including a living person as a target of an acid attack within your joke and doing so in a public space, in front of an audience.  For me, that crosses the line between acceptable and unacceptable.  Note that I didn't say 'legal' and 'illegal' - again, I'm not suggesting that Brand should have been charged with anything.  I just think that she was an irresponsible twat for saying what she said.  Also, it was a shit joke, so it was hardly worth making to begin with.

Quote from: lankyguy95 on June 16, 2019, 10:48:44 AM
Hardly Brand's fault. That's on the people who made a huge deal of it and gave it all that press coverage.

No, Brand is a public figure.  Of course the press honed in on that controversial joke.  For better or for worse, I would expect them to and quite frankly, so should have she.

neveragain

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 16, 2019, 11:39:40 AM
So to the people who are against Brand, what is you are against exactly? Should people not be allowed to tell jokes about certain subjects or are you just expressing distaste at her joke?

My problem is that the joke isn't funny or clever enough to make up for the shock factor. Of course I'd choose Brand over Farage any day and believe you can joke about anything as long as you do so with intelligence, but it's a shame this line didn't have much thought behind it.

I'm glad police aren't pursuing it because that'd do nothing but please the racist toad.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 16, 2019, 12:57:30 PM
I don't think that Brand should have been charged with anything, as I believe in freedom of speech, though I do think that they moment that you start to imply or even possibly incite an acid attack on a specific person, that it's kinda going beyond mere freedom of speech.  I think that a joke can be made about anything; yes, even acid attacks.  I wouldn't necessarily find such a joke funny, personally speaking but that's irrelevant.  I fundamentally think that one should be able to joke about absolutely anything.

However, there is a difference between making a joke about acid attacks and actually including a living person as a target of an acid attack within your joke and doing so in a public space, in front of an audience.  For me, that crosses the line between acceptable and unacceptable.  Note that I didn't say 'legal' and 'illegal' - again, I'm not suggesting that Brand should have been charged with anything.  I just think that she was an irresponsible twat for saying what she said.  Also, it was a shit joke, so it was hardly worth making to begin with.

No, Brand is a public figure.  Of course the press honed in on that controversial joke.  For better or for worse, I would expect them to and quite frankly, so should have she.

I'm with you 100% there, and as you and neveragain say it was a bloody shit joke, if it had been vaguely funny I might defend her more but it was just depressingly weak.

BeardFaceMan

So controversial jokes need to be intelligent and objectively funny to be ok? So if you see Jerry Sadowitz saying 'p**i' over and over and think his jokes are poor then that's unacceptable and he's inciting racial violence and encouraging people to use that word, but if you find it funny then that controversy disappears and it's ok? Fair enough if you thought it was a shit joke, it was, but thats the only reason she sholuldnt have said it, not because its encouraging people to go out and do the same, thats a ludicrous line of thought. If she had been caught saying it in private then you may have a point but it was made while she was on a comedy panel show, it was clearly a joke and not an actual recommendation.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Of course it was a shit joke. It was made by Jo Brand.

Jumblegraws

It kind've seems like you're all basically in agreement and only differ on the degree of criticism the joke is worth

idunnosomename

Farage getting so petulantly yet so blatantly falsely outraged by the line was quite funny in itself so maybe we should give Brand a bit of credit there.

lankyguy95

Quote from: A Car With No Doors on June 14, 2019, 02:41:55 PM
Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on June 14, 2019, 02:55:06 PM
Someone should throw battery acid at Ricky Gervais. Actual battery acid at the actual Ricky Gervais.

St_Eddie

One of the things that bothers me about this thread is that so many are seemingly giving Brand's joke a free pass simply because they don't like Farage.  If a right-wing male stand-up comic, made a joke about their fantasy of beating up, raping and then finally yes, chucking acid in the face of a left-leaning woman who you personally like, would you be so quick to jump to the defense of the comic's right to make a joke, much less revel in the concept of it?  That's the point I'm making here; I hate Farage but my ethical stand point on the matter doesn't suddenly alter, simply because I don't like someone.  I'll berate anybody for stepping out of line, regardless of how I feel about that person or the target who they were attacking.  To do any less would be to display double standards and hypocrisy.

A fair few people within this thread are saying things along the lines of "well, yeah but the alt-right pricks are always making egregious jokes about violence and rape in relation to public figures on the left.  Ooohhhh, they don't like it when the tables are turned, do they? Haha".  Even my 7 year old Niece knows that two wrongs don't make a right.  We're supposed to rise above the words and actions of those we hate, not lower ourselves to their level.

Jo Brand is not a political commentator, she is a professional comedian. So her words are automatically bestowed a different context

St_Eddie

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 16, 2019, 02:19:22 PM
Jo Brand is not a political commentator, she is a professional comedian. So her words are automatically bestowed a different context

I'm not judging her as a political commentator or a professional comedian, I'm judging her as a human being.

If I were to judge her as a professional comedian, then she'd fail miserably.  As it is, she simply fucked up as a human being in this particular instance.  I don't condemn her for it, but I'll make no bones in calling her out on it either.