Author Topic: People who adhere to negative stereotypes of themselves  (Read 4915 times)

Re: People who adhere to negative stereotypes of themselves
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2019, 10:55:59 AM »
This is madness, the delicate endangered soul of a child is exactly the same, has the same value, deserves the same protections, whether it's resident in the body of a round-eyed little relative or an old and crusty homeless person.  If you cut them, do they not bleed?

And if that little relative shits its nappy, as they are bound to do, do you vomit in disgust?  Get a ruddy grip.
I did say the child threw up reflexively in the scenario, rather than as a deliberate, ostentatious show of disgust. Yeah, humiliating a stranger in public is shitty behaviour, but I don’t think the motivation in this scenario - feeling protective over a child - is itself irrational. I think I’ve maybe been a bit more cruel-minded and judgemental than I realised in concocting this hypothetical, so apologies for that.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2019, 12:12:05 PM »
If one of your children smells so bad that it makes another of your children vomit, should you still share nude pictures of them?

king_tubby

• [melancholy ambient music playing]
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »
This thread needs more Space Marines.

Noonling

• You can no longer jump without feet.
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2019, 12:51:43 PM »
I have had a thing where if you don't dry clothes sufficiently after washing they get a bit musty but the smell isn't immediately obvious.

Fuck This, Fuck You.

seepage

• throwing a dog at some goblins
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2019, 01:08:46 PM »
Cos it's closing down so all the board games are 20% off.

anyway, what games did you buy?

St_Eddie

• St_Eddie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2019, 01:22:10 PM »
I fervently disagree with you on this.  No one, child or not, has the right to be Marie-Antoinette about their fellows. 

People smell, just like people are sometimes ugly or old or ill or all manner of things that don't fit into perfect.  Children need to be brought up in an environment where they recognise this as normal and where they treat people who don't conform to their home's/family's brand of "normal" with respect and acceptance. 

To me, this is basic stuff, you, we, all, are training people to run the world and live in it, not to fop along through life holding a scented handkerchief to their delicate little sensibilities.  I think its pretty important, this.  That notwithstanding, I like you very much Jumblegraws, so please don't be offended.

I wholeheartedly endorse this statement.

I probably wouldn’t do anything, if not because of basic empathy then because I probably don’t have the guts to confront anyone. There’s just a chance I might get all “I’d do time for them” if a kid was involved.

Bizarre.  "Oh, no.  A child did vomit.  Time to get the knuckledusters out and teach that smelly cunt a lesson or two".  Just utterly bizarre.  You manage to make a maternal instinct sound like a mental defect.

I did say the child threw up reflexively in the scenario, rather than as a deliberate, ostentatious show of disgust. Yeah, humiliating a stranger in public is shitty behaviour, but I don’t think the motivation in this scenario - feeling protective over a child - is itself irrational.

What are you "protecting" them from?  They've already thrown up in this hypothetical scenario.  It's not uncommon for a kid to throw up.  The idea of getting all vocally indignant at a smelly person because they unintentionally made a child vomit is ridiculous.  You know what the correct course of action would be?  Asking the child if they're okay and comforting them and then explaining to them that the smelly man is likely very sad and that we should feel pity for him.  I dread to think what kind of arsehole one would raise if they learned from their parent that the correct course of action is to berate those who smell.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:12:49 PM by St_Eddie »

Paul Calf

• LOTION MAN
  • Golden Member
  • Just put 'nice plums'.
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2019, 01:29:46 PM »
I did say the child threw up reflexively in the scenario, rather than as a deliberate, ostentatious show of disgust. Yeah, humiliating a stranger in public is shitty behaviour, but I don’t think the motivation in this scenario - feeling protective over a child - is itself irrational. I think I’ve maybe been a bit more cruel-minded and judgemental than I realised in concocting this hypothetical, so apologies for that.

The world is not obliged to configure itself to avoid offending your offspring though.

« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2019, 01:30:17 PM »
This git.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile

What?

Reported for continued romfordist abuse. It's a fucking disgrace.

Eh?

Negative stereotype of myself?

« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2019, 01:34:54 PM »
anyway, what games did you buy?

Fury of Dracula.

St_Eddie

« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2019, 01:37:13 PM »
The world is not obliged to configure itself to avoid offending your offspring though.

Exactly.  This whole 'the world must love my child as much as I do and they must be constantly mindful to not do anything that could potentially offend my precious little bundle of joy' ego-centric attitude vexes me.

Pingers

• I can produce 3,500 water voles a year if required
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2019, 01:42:54 PM »
Fury of Dracula.

Looks good, good choice.

ZoyzaSorris

• if you can smell me it's too late
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2019, 01:45:05 PM »
This thread needs more Space Marines.

What do you think it smells like in the 41st millenium? I mean they must get pretty honking in that power armour, especially terminators, maybe they’ve been bioengineered to sweat rose water?

ZoyzaSorris

• if you can smell me it's too late
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2019, 01:55:07 PM »
I didn't think they did boardgames anymore?

WTF is this? where's the old Warhammer gone? All I ever wanted was a turned-based PC game of the old Warhammer. Perhaps I'll spend my remaining years writing one and expire as soon as it's finished.

Pretty much what XCom is but reskinned to near future Earth isn’t it? Unless you're talking about Fantasy Battle, I only ever knew about 40k really and that was like between the years 1990-1992, when I burnt all my space orks and space tanks and space wolves. I guess Lords of Chaos was the early fantasy equivalent, interestingly I didnt realise it’s predecessor Chaos was actually a Games Workshop product.

seepage

• throwing a dog at some goblins
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2019, 01:56:30 PM »
Fury of Dracula.

thanks, that one's new to me, for some reason.

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soupçon of pizzazz."
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2019, 02:03:57 PM »
Dryers are for socks and knickers. Air-drying is where it's at.

« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2019, 02:28:15 PM »
I wholeheartedly endorse this statement.

Bizarre.  "Oh, no.  A child did vomit.  Time to get the knuckledusters out and teach that smelly cunt a lesson or two".  Just utterly bizarre.  You manage to make a maternal instinct sound like a mental disease.

What are you "protecting" them from?  They've already thrown up in this hypothetical scenario.  It's not uncommon for a kid to throw up.  The idea of getting all vocally indignant at a smelly person because they unintentionally made a child vomit is ridiculous.  You know what the correct course of action would be?  Asking the child if they're okay and comforting them and then explaining to them that the smelly man is likely very sad and that we should feel pity for him.  I dread to think what kind of arsehole one would raise if they learned from their parent that the correct course of action is to berate those who smell.
The bolded is a good answer and I hope that’s what I’d actually do. I meant for the question to be a silly, improbable what-if and I didn’t intend to arrive at the notion of physically assaulting someone who is infirm or struggling with mental health. I’m embarrassed at how mean-spirited and thuggish I’ve made myself seem, not to mention taking the thread off on a weird tangent. Sorry, guys.

« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2019, 02:31:44 PM »
You know what the correct course of action would be?  Asking the child if they're okay and comforting them and then explaining to them that the smelly man is likely very sad and that we should feel pity for him.

You should do this while the smelly man is still within earshot, right? In order to make sure he gets the message. Two birds, one stone.

St_Eddie

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2019, 02:45:20 PM »
The bolded is a good answer and I hope that’s what I’d actually do. I meant for the question to be a silly, improbable what-if and I didn’t intend to arrive at the notion of physically assaulting someone who is infirm or struggling with mental health. I’m embarrassed at how mean-spirited and thuggish I’ve made myself seem, not to mention taking the thread off on a weird tangent. Sorry, guys.

And all was once again right in the world.  Good on you, Jumblegraws.

Paul Calf

• LOTION MAN
  • Golden Member
  • Just put 'nice plums'.
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2019, 02:48:03 PM »
Yeah, sorry for underestimating you Jumbers.

Chollis

• Master of Codes
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2019, 02:51:33 PM »
Sorry for calling you a cunt mate

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2019, 02:52:17 PM »
I didn't mean nothing by that nail bomb I sent you.

« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2019, 02:53:38 PM »
I basically just take my washing from the machine and lob it on the clothes horse in the spare room with the window open.

Then, I just take my tshirts off it on a daily basis, leaving it empty by the time it's to do my washing again.

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soupçon of pizzazz."
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »
Speaking of the kids though, there is a terrifying period of time - perhaps around the age of 3 - where they can be very articulate but have no filter whatsoever, no sense that they should wait for this person, the person they want to know is a man or a woman, to be out of earshot before they ask (it's always a woman). That they should wait to get out of the elevator before commenting on the enormity of the person next to me. That it's not cool to point and yell "What is that?!" at another child's benign cyst.

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2019, 03:47:11 PM »
I still reckon we should burn the smelly though.

What?

Eh?

Negative stereotype of myself?

Ah, don't worry about it. That link shows the user profile of whoever's looking at it

Pingers

• I can produce 3,500 water voles a year if required
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2019, 03:52:25 PM »
Speaking of the kids though, there is a terrifying period of time - perhaps around the age of 3 - where they can be very articulate but have no filter whatsoever, no sense that they should wait for this person, the person they want to know is a man or a woman, to be out of earshot before they ask (it's always a woman). That they should wait to get out of the elevator before commenting on the enormity of the person next to me. That it's not cool to point and yell "What is that?!" at another child's benign cyst.

When I was 3 I pointed to a black man and said to my mum "Why is that man made of chocolate?" MASSIVE RACIST.

Chollis

• Master of Codes
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2019, 03:54:51 PM »
Ah, don't worry about it. That link shows the user profile of whoever's looking at it

shows sweeper for me as well

icehaven

• Please don't hi five people in Tamworth
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2019, 04:26:06 PM »

It's the same mismatch between comprehension and social mores that leads to small children on the bus etc., seeing me looking at my phone and recognising that that's the device that plays kid's games and TV shows that Mummy or Daddy thrust into their hands when they're busy, so they keep trying to see my screen to see what fun, brightly coloured cartoon I'm watching. Except unfortunately I'm not watching anything like that.

St_Eddie

« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2019, 05:47:35 PM »
Except unfortunately I'm not watching anything like that.

Indeed.  You're watching 2 Girls 1 Cup.

« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2019, 05:52:32 PM »

Captain Z

• Oh yeah my cholesterol's going down
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2019, 06:07:31 PM »
I work in image manipulation and sometimes there's a need to create 'stereo' images from a single photographic source. You have to take the original negative which is a single image or mono-type, create a duplicate that is offset correctly so that combined with the original it will produce stereo effect. My job is to glue both to the glass frame. Because you don't want to ruin the original negative, sometimes I will use an image of myself to practice with first.