Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:13:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 12, Chibnall's Revenge

Started by Deanjam, June 13, 2019, 04:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Mister Six

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 22, 2020, 02:12:25 PM
What the episode really needed at its conclusion was an anonymous visit to Tesla by the TARDIS crew to actually see how his life ended in penury. Show, don't tell.

Or, in fact, not that at all. It's such a pointlessly downbeat ending that isn't earned by the story (unlike Unquiet Dead or Vincent and The Doctor).

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 22, 2020, 02:12:25 PM
What the episode really needed at its conclusion was an anonymous visit to Tesla by the TARDIS crew to actually see how his life ended in penury. Show, don't tell.

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 22, 2020, 02:46:43 PM
Then play out to OMD's 'Tesla Girls'

They could have another episode where they meet Albert Einstein at the time he develops his theory of relativity, then gets shown Hiroshima, with OMD's Enola Gay playing out.

The Roofdog

In later life Tesla fell in love with a pigeon. If RTD can have a man end up fucking a paving slab that writes itself, come on.

How many more times will Ryan pick up a gun and the Doctor snap "Ryan how many fucking times do I have to say it"? That must be the fourth or fifth time. The lad's a gun nut.

Hopefully he shoots his own foot off in the finale and the Doctor just stares pointedly into the middle distance while he bleeds out.

Cerys

There needs to be an episode in which they meet Marie and Pierre Curie, but things go awry when they accidentally stop Pierre from being run over so the Curies are too busy shagging to do sciency stuff, so Ryan tries to help but screws it all up by taking off the glove of his radiation suit so he ends up a skeleton and Graham does a sad face but then the Doc makes it all okay with the TARDIS.  That's what needs to happen.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Cerys on January 23, 2020, 02:54:07 AM
There needs to be an episode in which they meet Marie and Pierre Curie, but things go awry when they accidentally stop Pierre from being run over so the Curies are too busy shagging to do sciency stuff, so Ryan tries to help but screws it all up by taking off the glove of his radiation suit so he ends up a skeleton and Graham does a sad face but then the Doc makes it all okay with the TARDIS.  That's what needs to happen.

I like it, I like it, but can Ryan be replaced by an elderly black lady of a slightly large build? And can she die? That would really fill the quota.

Replies From View

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 23, 2020, 10:16:20 AM
I like it, I like it, but can Ryan be replaced by an elderly black lady of a slightly large build? And can she die? That would really fill the quota.

I don't think we should be showing our enemies how to kill fat people.

Norton Canes

Every time a new post appears on this thread around Thursday/Friday I click the link with extreme trepidation as I fear it's BoBB with a description of the latest episode...

olliebean

Just noticed Chibnall has a co-writing credit the week after next as well. Whoop-dee-frickin'-doo.

Cerys

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 23, 2020, 10:16:20 AM

What if Ryan has actually been his grandmother all this time?  Would explain why the dyspraxia fucked off.

Alberon

Well, it would make for an interesting scene when she reveals that to Graham.

Replies From View

They wouldn't know whether to fuck or fist bump.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 23, 2020, 05:01:31 PM
Every time a new post appears on this thread around Thursday/Friday I click the link with extreme trepidation as I fear it's BoBB with a description of the latest episode...

It'll hopefully arrive tomorrow. You have been warned.

Mister Six

You've gotta have hope during these dark times.

Actually, I suppose the only vaguely positive aspect of trudging through the Chibnall era is that, having given up all hope of the show ever being good, above-average episodes such as The Trouble with Tesla function as fairly pleasant surprises. So there's that, at least.

Mister Six

Also makes me hopeful that if the show isn't cancelled, someone competent might be more interested in taking over than they were after Moffat stepped down.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 23, 2020, 08:27:05 PM
You've gotta have hope during these dark times.

Actually, I suppose the only vaguely positive aspect of trudging through the Chibnall era is that, having given up all hope of the show ever being good, above-average episodes such as The Trouble with Tesla function as fairly pleasant surprises. So there's that, at least.

Kind of like when you're dying of testicular cancer and someone brings you a tepid chicken soup in bed.

Quote from: Replies From View on January 23, 2020, 09:08:28 PM
Kind of like when you're dying of testicular cancer and someone brings you a tepid chicken soup in bed.

It's exactly like that.

Quote from: Mister Six on January 23, 2020, 09:00:00 PM
Also makes me hopeful that if the show isn't cancelled, someone competent might be more interested in taking over than they were after Moffat stepped down.

I wonder how we'll feel if the show actually does get cancelled under Chibnall's stewardship? A sense of relief tempered with sadness?

The viewing figures at the moment are no worse than they were during the Capaldi era, but with Orphan 55 I did get a sense of people - not just on here, but in the real world - having finally had enough of this shit. That episode was abysmal even by the usual Chibnall-era standards, but I get the feeling that it served as a breaking point for many of those who bothered to watch it.

We already know that Chibbers and Whitters are making at least one more series of Doctor Who together, but if that isn't well-received then I guess it's the end, for a few years at least. The worst thing about that scenario: it will give total fucking arseholes an excuse to shriek, "See? I told you it wouldn't work with a woman!" But those people are beyond help, so fuck 'em.

Mister Six

I'd be bloody annoyed - not just at Chibnall for being shit, but also at the BBC, both for employing him and for fucking about with the schedules so badly over the last few years.

New folder

The BBC producers probably fucking love Chibnall. Evidently, he does exactly as he's told. I can smell soulless corporate gruel ideas from a mile away.

New folder

Although, given that he wrote Cyberwoman, maybe it's best that he doesn't think for himself.

Quote from: Mister Six on January 23, 2020, 10:25:15 PM
I'd be bloody annoyed - not just at Chibnall for being shit, but also at the BBC, both for employing him and for fucking about with the schedules so badly over the last few years.

Well that too, yes. If it does die with Chibnall at the helm, then it's their own stupid fault.

Quote from: New folder on January 23, 2020, 10:42:07 PM
The BBC producers probably fucking love Chibnall. Evidently, he does exactly as he's told. I can smell soulless corporate gruel ideas from a mile away.

I don't think Chibnall needs a great deal of encouragement in that regard, churning out bland crap is his default setting. The BBC will be happy with Doctor Who for as long as it's successful, I very much doubt that 'them upstairs' care about its artistic merits.

QuoteI wonder how we'll feel if the show actually does get cancelled under Chibnall's stewardship? A sense of relief tempered with sadness?

Can't see full cancellation - it's still got to be bringing in the dollars.

Can see 'rested' for a year or two until someone with a clearer idea and sense of purpose comes in.

Replies From View

Quote from: A Hat Like That on January 24, 2020, 10:08:44 AM
Can't see full cancellation - it's still got to be bringing in the dollars.

This was the case in 1989 as well, though.  Was making much more than it was costing.

Quote from: A Hat Like That on January 24, 2020, 10:08:44 AM
Can see 'rested' for a year or two

They're doing this between nearly every series now, aren't they?

Cloud

If they paused it for a bit to figure out how to make it great again, probably under new leadership, then fine.  But yet another year gap followed by more Chibnall "okay"ness is just going to haemorrhage even more viewers.

Cancel the fucking thing for all I care. Between Big Finish, the books and the comics, there's enough Doctor Who to keep us all going.

pigamus

Quote from: Replies From View on January 23, 2020, 09:08:28 PM

Did you watch Sunday's in the end? I didn't, I couldn't face it.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Cloud on January 24, 2020, 12:00:29 PM
If they paused it for a bit to figure out how to make it great again, probably under new leadership, then fine.  But yet another year gap followed by more Chibnall "okay"ness is just going to haemorrhage even more viewers

The BBC really have to work out what they want from the show. If all they're after is a Call The Midwife-level Sunday night potboiler to carry on milking the cash cow then I can't see them aiming for anything other than more safe, Chibnall-esque mediocrity. I think a big catalyst for change will be if they decide to forego weekly broadcasts and stream each series in one release. If that happens, there's no way people will want to binge-watch consecutive episodes of that kind of rubbish.