Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:16:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 12, Chibnall's Revenge

Started by Deanjam, June 13, 2019, 04:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 10, 2019, 11:09:50 PM
when are we gonna get an episode where the doctor just goes "ah, fuck this" and picks up a sodding twelve gauge and whacks the cunt responsible for the day's evil?

Attack of the Cybermen?

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on August 11, 2019, 02:14:50 PM
Mister Six's point isn't that they should "pedantically fill in the gaps", though. It's that they could continue with evil Masters, while retaining The Master's final redemption.

I suppose I'd prefer them not to say one way or the other where future incarnations are placed in the Master's timeline.  The pedantry would come when the show bothers to show flashbacks or give exposition or whatever to explain something that doesn't need filling in.

The next time we see the Master, I think continuity should be ignored and the showrunner should simply let the character be written in whichever way fits the new Doctor and their stories.  The fans can fill in gaps if they like but the show doesn't need to.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: JamesTC on August 11, 2019, 03:13:47 PM
Attack of the Cybermen?

It was a somewhat shit and boozy attempt to make a joke about the fact Four, Five, and Six regularly capped fools in the dome to solve their problems. Seven usually manipulated someone else (or got Ace) to do most of his fool-capping. I also like that Rose had to convince Nine not to smack people's shit in like, constantly. Ten being a relentlessly pacifistic cunt annoyed me though. It got to the point where you could actually believe he was some kind of covert villain with how some writers portrayed his pacifism boner.

Replies From View

kitsofan34

Who's hyped for the 60th anniversary special in 2023, penned by Chris Chibnall?

Replies From View

Quote from: kitsofan34 on August 11, 2019, 05:05:29 PM
Who's hyped for the 60th anniversary special in 2023, penned by Chris Chibnall?

Nope.  I'm betting he'll go for a sub-Five Doctors runaround.

Weird to think we'll be on the fourteenth Doctor by then too.

Kelvin

Quote from: Replies From View on August 11, 2019, 03:51:17 PM
I suppose I'd prefer them not to say one way or the other where future incarnations are placed in the Master's timeline.  The pedantry would come when the show bothers to show flashbacks or give exposition or whatever to explain something that doesn't need filling in.

The next time we see the Master, I think continuity should be ignored and the showrunner should simply let the character be written in whichever way fits the new Doctor and their stories.  The fans can fill in gaps if they like but the show doesn't need to.

I agree entirely, and that's what Mister Six was suggesting, I think.

The problem is that, even if they went ten years without revealing where the current Master was in their life, it would only take one of them to say, "I came here as Missy once", and it's no longer potentially how the Master died. 

Replies From View

I don't believe Missy's death can possibly be the final one.  Even though it works as an ending for the character in a way that no other previous Master story has done, it's just inconceivable that any future showrunner will accept the Master couldn't have survived that situation.

The TV Movie set a precedent for the Master returning after being reduced to ashes, and the new series has continued that idea (and even keeping the same actor after doing so).  Missy's body wasn't even destroyed as far as we know, so even though I thought it was a wonderful poetic and narrative end, I was never thinking "there's no way this character can survive this".

Replies From View

Perhaps worth remembering as well that Simm's Master had his own redemptive moment in Tennant's final episode.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Replies From View on August 12, 2019, 01:26:47 AM
Perhaps worth remembering as well that Simm's Master had his own redemptive moment in Tennant's final episode.

Eh, I think it's clearer that he was less repentive and more vengeful against the Time Cunts that had put the Magic Roundabout theme in his head for his entire life in a causal loop just to get out of their inevitable Time Buggery. I don't think he really was redeeming himself, he was more targetting a more credible and greater threat than the Doctor was to him at the time-- he loved and hated The Doctor in equal measure but in that moment killing The Diddler wasn't exactly his best option.

My hopes is that if The Mattress returns, they just return. New actor, new personality (mostly), new portrayal. They're the Doctor's old chum who's also a bit of a bastard and a murderous shitebag (or perhaps something like Missy, a fence-hopping slightly-murderous slightly-heroic indecisive bastard).

No "Oh I regenerated" or "The Daleks Spared Me" just "I'm back who gives a shit" just like how Missy was.

Alberon

Ainley's Master was always returning from certain death without explanation. That's the way it should be.

The Master should be more amoral rather than plain evil when they return. Maybe trying to do something that will save a great number of people, but in a way that will kill ten percent of them

weekender

Quote from: Alberon on August 12, 2019, 08:05:17 AMThe Master should be more amoral rather than plain evil when they return. Maybe trying to do something that will save a great number of people, but in a way that will kill ten percent of them

I generally agree.  Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_RZJUAQY4

weekender

It's either that or you could consider a two or three series arc in which:

Series 1 - The Doctor appears to kill everyone
Series 2 - The Master appears to kill everyone
Series 3 - Time Balance Of The Universe explains how this all links over 2 or 3 series

Shame Chibnall's in charge, we'll probably get an episode which explains how a balloon works.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: weekender on August 12, 2019, 07:36:49 PM
It's either that or you could consider a two or three series arc in which:

Series 1 - The Doctor appears to kill everyone
Series 2 - The Master appears to kill everyone
Series 3 - Time Balance Of The Universe explains how this all links over 2 or 3 series

Shame Chibnall's in charge, we'll probably get an episode which explains how a balloon works.

Or a shit-eatingly patronizing episode that tells us how evil AI is and how human corporations are so much better and are huggy wuggy nice!!!!

I think that now the dust has settled we can all agree that, The Doctor Falls is one of the greatest episoes of Who ever.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: canted_angle_again on August 12, 2019, 09:36:53 PM
I think that now the dust has settled we can all agree that, The Doctor Falls is one of the greatest episoes of Who ever.

In the reborn series? Undoubtedly yes.
In the old + new series? Still yes, but perhaps not #1.

I'd say it's a fantastic episode but it has an unfortunate caveat in that you really have to have seen every episode of DW beforehand (the revived series) for it to really have an impact though. You can say that about most episodes really but there are some cracking episodes that work solo in the revived series too.

It's sort of like Doctor Who's version of The Killing Joke, really -- it only works if you have a backup with the character, otherwise it's a deconstructive episode of something you've never seen constructed period, so it's a bit baffling if you watch it with no backing.

Bingo Fury

Quote from: canted_angle_again on August 12, 2019, 09:36:53 PM

It had the greatest monologue by any Doctor, I think, certainly giving Hartnell's "One day I will come back" a run for its money and arguably eclipsing it. Far superior to that hollow Zygon Inversion rant everyone creamed themselves over at the time, his "let's have this out, once and for all" speech to the Master and Missy was the high point of Capaldi's era for me, closely followed by his incredible performance at the end of "The Husbands of River Song". Even if the Chibnall/Whitaker season had been a creative triumph, I think my interest in the show would still have declined after his departure. He (with a little help from Moffat) had given me all I could have wanted from the Doctor, and I kind of felt I was done.

Replies From View

It was sensible for Capaldi to leave with Moffat, even though I wish he'd done more than three series. There's so much poetic beauty in a lot of Moffat's writing and episode structures.

Mister Six

Quote from: Kelvin on August 11, 2019, 05:29:35 PM
I agree entirely, and that's what Mister Six was suggesting, I think.

Yes, it was.

Mister Six

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 12, 2019, 05:58:56 AM
The Diddler ... The Mattress

Blimey, these Time Lord names are getting a bit avant garde.

The good news is that The Master has a long history of just turning up alive with no explanation after a seemingly inevitable death that stretches back to the Old Who years, and Chibnall's not clever enough to think of a way Missy could have escaped so he'll just revert to that as an easy get out.

I hope.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Mister Six on August 13, 2019, 01:55:12 AM
Blimey, these Time Lord names are getting a bit avant garde.

I've been shitposting about Doctor Who since 2006 so typing out the same full names has gotten quite dull. I have to mix it up otherwise I sigh so hard all the air leaves my lungs and I fall asleep on the keyboard and wake up to nine paragraphs of absolute bullshit caused by my cataleptic face rolling back and forth over the keyboard.

Coincidentally that's how they wrote the sex gas episode of Torchwood.

Norton Canes

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 10, 2019, 11:09:50 PM
when are we gonna get an episode where the doctor just goes "ah, fuck this" and picks up a sodding twelve gauge and whacks the cunt responsible for the day's evil?

In The Invasion Of Time he averts the Sontaran attack on Gallifrey by chasing them around a disused hospital until they die of boredom building a 'de-mat gun' and blasting them into oblivion.

Replies From View

And one of them nearly dies from boinging off a deckchair at a dodgy angle.  Makes you think the Doctor should leave more deckchairs around the place.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Replies From View on August 12, 2019, 10:49:18 PM
It was sensible for Capaldi to leave with Moffat, even though I wish he'd done more than three series. There's so much poetic beauty in a lot of Moffat's writing and episode structures.

God, imagine watching Capaldi in The Doctor Falls and then watching him in a Chibnall episode.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 17, 2019, 08:31:13 PM
God, imagine watching Capaldi in The Doctor Falls and then watching him in a Chibnall episode.

To be fair Twice Upon A Time did come in between.

But yes.  Even though the final execution wasn't perfect, there's nevertheless an exciting concept in "immediately after encountering the Tenth Planet Cybermen, the Twelfth Doctor, who is holding off his inevitable regeneration, runs into the First Doctor who is doing the same thing".

There's just a poetry to that synchronicity and the way it spins out of the Tenth Planet overlap in The Doctor Falls.  Even in his weaker episodes Moffat brought this in spades.

Norton Canes

Don't get excited... it's just Children In Need

Alberon

For a track on an album apparently.

Doctor in Distress 2?

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on August 21, 2019, 04:49:41 PM
For a track on an album apparently.

Doctor in Distress 2?

Doctor in This Dress more like!!!!

You groan, yet you can imagine Chibnall thinking that is actually a good joke and going ahead with it, can't you.

Replies From View

JODIE: Are you sure you want me in this playsuit, Chris? Wouldn't it make more sense if I wore a dress for it?

CHIBNALL: Why?

JODIE: Because it's this dress? Isn't that the pun?

CHIBNALL: Your Doctor doesn't wear a dress.

JODIE: Ah, I see. So David will come out wearing a dress for the punchline? You're subverting our gender roles, I get it.

CHIBNALL: I... I don't...

JODIE: Ah, fuck, he's drooling again. Can someone get him a tissue?