Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:22:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 12, Chibnall's Revenge

Started by Deanjam, June 13, 2019, 04:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 22, 2019, 10:35:32 AM
JODIE: Are you sure you want me in this playsuit, Chris? Wouldn't it make more sense if I wore a dress for it?

CHIBNALL: Why?

JODIE: Because it's this dress? Isn't that the pun?

CHIBNALL: Your Doctor doesn't wear a dress.

JODIE: Ah, I see. So David will come out wearing a dress for the punchline? You're subverting our gender roles, I get it.

CHIBNALL: I... I don't...

JODIE: Ah, fuck, he's drooling again. Can someone get him a tissue?

I always feel like tissue wouldn't work on Chibnall's drool.  You know when you eat some brands of crisps and somehow they cake your fingers in a kind of thick molasses stickiness?  And you can't remove it with tissue - the tissue just glues itself to you in shreds; you need to properly wash it all off with water.  Yeah, well, like that.  Chibnall continually excusing himself to visit the toilet sink whenever he has his drool on himself, which is often.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 22, 2019, 10:35:32 AM
JODIE: Are you sure you want me in this playsuit, Chris?
::
::
JODIE: Ah, fuck, he's drooling again. Can someone get him a tissue?

:-D

Replies From View

STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP

H-O-W-L

Fucking hell, I love the Cybermen but can they get past using these fucking shitty Iron Man models and go to something more interesting? Fucking cunts! CUNTS!CUNTS!CUNTS!CUNTS!CUNTS!CUNTS!CUNTS!CUNTS!CUNTS!

Camp Tramp

I want something that looks less robot, more cyborg.

Replies From View

It's a redesign but from what can be glimpsed in this photo it's not much of a departure:

Hints of Kryten blended with the Robocop reboot.

olliebean

They seem to have forgotten their helmets.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on August 24, 2019, 08:57:26 AM
They seem to have forgotten their helmets.

They are an homage to that girl in Schindler's List with the red coat and no helmet.

Replies From View

Seriously though I wonder what wondrous and unexpected ways we can hope to find the Cybermen made bland and boring by Chris Chibnall.

Kelvin

It occurred to me last night that the Cybermen should have their motivations reversed now. Instead of converting humans to become more robotic and emotionless, they should be harvesting parts from humans in a warped attempt to recapture the humanity they've lost.

Bunch of Cybermen with exposed organs and flesh grafted over them because they think looking organic is what matters most, mismatching body parts reattached by unfeeling, clumsy machines, and would also explain a shift away from the big bulky design and back to something creepier.

Chairman Yang

See, the mistake you've made there is writing some sort of science fiction story.

What if they were like... knights or something?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Kelvin on August 24, 2019, 10:39:12 AM
It occurred to me last night that the Cybermen should have their motivations reversed now. Instead of converting humans to become more robotic and emotionless, they should be harvesting parts from humans in a warped attempt to recapture the humanity they've lost.

Bunch of Cybermen with exposed organs and flesh grafted over them because they think looking organic is what matters most, mismatching body parts reattached by unfeeling, clumsy machines, and would also explain a shift away from the big bulky design and back to something creepier.

That's a really good idea, so we're never going to see it during the Chibnall era sadly.

The Big Finish story The Harvest explored this and it's a sinister treat. One of the better Sylvester McCoy performances too.

Replies From View

would also explain a shift away from the big bulky design and back to something creepier.

I just want to add that no such explanation/justification for a design change should be needed.  If a showrunner or writer wants them to look like cybernetic zombies then they can.  I don't need characters to sit down and give us a précis of old monster evolution every seven episodes; just let it go uncommented and move on.

The series 8 two-part finale was the perfect opportunity to have Cybermen that harked back to their creepy organic origins, with them explicitly containing full skeletons for (I think) the first time in New Who history and then emerging from graves and tottering around dazed and not fully-formed. 

Perfect opportunity for something like this:

Unfortunately they were stuck with the pointless redesign of Neil Gaiman's series 7 story instead, and then when we got to the finale of series 10 we had Tenth Planet Cybermen evolving into the 2006 and 2013 versions, when something like the above image would have again been a more natural fit.

Deanjam

Saw this poll on twitter. Not surprising what is winning, but only 57%?

Kelvin

Surely that isn't real? Why would they be asking if people want a new showrunner on an official Twitter?

Edit: oh, I assume it's not official judging by the logo

Replies From View

Weird how a teaser trailer is considered preferable to an entirely new showrunner.

I know only just, but still.  Teaser trailers for Who are wank now, in a bad way.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Deanjam on June 13, 2019, 04:35:22 PM
Decided to start the new thread. Someone had to. Obviously there's no new news (lol) so lets debate which Doctor is the cutest toddler. Clearly it's Matt.

wouldn't wouldn't wouldn't wouldn't wouldn't
wouldn't wouldn't wouldn't might

olliebean

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on August 29, 2019, 10:52:55 PM
wouldn't wouldn't wouldn't might

peado

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on August 29, 2019, 10:57:46 PM
peado

DOCTOR WHO WHAT PAEDON'T

Something like that, anyway.  It's been a while since I've seen a Sega Megadrive advert.

Mister Six

Norton Canes

"James Gunn's The Suicide Squad reportedly casts Peter Capaldi, and may also be looking to add Pete Davidson"

'Pete Davidson'? Do you think they... nah.

H-O-W-L

Those Cybermen just make me sort of annoyed that they really do look more like people in shit costume armor rather than the more menacing designs they've had in the past. Even the neckless hair metal cybermen from the 1980s were more intimidating. And I agree with the sentiment that the Cybermen need to be more cyborg. They looked like horrid burn patients in the 60s, and their increasing metalness sort of detracts from the horror of what they really are.

I really loved that speech in The Doctor Falls about how the Cybermen exist so frequently and in such great numbers not because the originals spread so widely, but because other, unrelated cultures evolved into Cybermen during times of crisis with high technology and advanced medicine available, like a sort of technological convergence that centers on humanity. No great malice or unified design behind it, just scared people trying to add more sand to their hourglass. That concept was horrific and I love it.

Norton Canes

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 06, 2019, 12:27:49 PM
because other, unrelated cultures evolved into Cybermen during times of crisis with high technology and advanced medicine available, like a sort of technological convergence that centers on humanity. No great malice or unified design behind it, just scared people trying to add more sand to their hourglass. That concept was horrific and I love it

And if you long to never die
Baby, plug in, upload your mind
Come on, you're not even alive
If you're not backed up on a drive

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 06, 2019, 01:09:21 PM
And if you long to never die
Baby, plug in, upload your mind
Come on, you're not even alive
If you're not backed up on a drive

i'll ave you cunt

Cloud

Is it just me or is anyone else sick to fucking death of the "So-and-so is returning to Doctor Who!" Clickbait headlines everywhere on the internet?  Every time the content is "..... In the Big Finish radio show"

I don't give two shits about the non-canon radio thing. If it's about that then put it in the headline and stop with the bait.

I do find it amusing that John Barrowman keeps teasing Captain Jack's return to the show, based on absolutely nothing but his own opinion that he should be back on the show.

Cloud

Oh god that as well

"Soandso opens up about return to the series" - click - "they commented at a convention somewhere that they'd think about returning if asked"

Replies From View

He's bound to return at some point in Chibnall's tenure - I'd wager series 13.  RTD was bringing in The Master in his third series after bringing back the Daleks and Cybermen for his first and second; Chibnall will be following the pattern with Daleks, Cybermen and Barrowman I reckon.

The character is meant to be unaging though, right?