Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:53:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 12, Chibnall's Revenge

Started by Deanjam, June 13, 2019, 04:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Having a look at promo pics for the next episode. Does the red lighting on the left remind anyone of anything?

https://cultbox.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Graham-spaceship.-Can-You-Hear-Me-600x337.jpg

Jerzy Bondov

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Malcy on February 06, 2020, 02:20:15 PM
Having a look at promo pics for the next episode. Does the red lighting on the left remind anyone of anything?
Sharaz Jek?

Malcy

My first thought was Papa Lazarou.

YOU'RE MY WIFE NOW PERI.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on February 06, 2020, 01:48:26 PM
Finale episode titles.

Spoiler alert
Ascension Of The Cybermen
The Timeless Children
[close]

Do you see, because
Spoiler alert
the timeless child
[close]
is not
Spoiler alert
alone
[close]
, just like in RTD's time when
Spoiler alert
the Doctor
[close]
was
Spoiler alert
alone
[close]
and then
Spoiler alert
not alone
[close]
because
Spoiler alert
Derke Jacobi
[close]
was
Spoiler alert
kind
[close]
and now the brilliantly set-up
Spoiler alert
last Cyberman
[close]
is going to show itself to be similarly
Spoiler alert
not alone
[close]
in a shocking parallel to the multiple
Spoiler alert
timeless children
[close]

It is the very definition of
Spoiler alert
shit that writes itself
[close]

Replies From View

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on February 06, 2020, 04:23:54 PM
Do you see, because
Spoiler alert
you are
[close]
not
Spoiler alert
alone
[close]
, just like in RTD's time when
Spoiler alert
I was here with you
[close]
and then
Spoiler alert
Though you're far away
[close]
because
Spoiler alert
I am here to stay
[close]

Jambon!

Replies From View

Mango Chimes

Finale episode titles.

Spoiler alert
The Timeless Children
[close]

The latter, with a stifled yawn,
Spoiler alert
are presumably the Daleks
[close]

Replies From View

Quote from: Mango Chimes on February 06, 2020, 05:24:59 PM
The latter, with a stifled yawn,
Spoiler alert
are presumably the Daleks
[close]

Or
Spoiler alert
the meddling monks
[close]
.  Yawn!

Alberon

Finale episode titles.

Spoiler alert
The Timeless Children
[close]

He's
Spoiler alert
going for it then. There had been some rumours that that particular hanging thread might not be addressed again this series. It does seem
[close]
a
Spoiler alert
bi
[close]
t
Spoiler alert
mechanical. Mid-seas
[close]
o
Spoiler alert
n tea
[close]
s
Spoiler alert
er, exactly at mid-point. The
[close]
s
Spoiler alert
tory is going to b
[close]
e
Spoiler alert
something weak though. Something about sac
[close]
r
Spoiler alert
ificing children to the cybermen for some contrived reason or something. Timeless Children plural though. I can almost muster the enthusiasm to guess
[close]

Replies From View

Knowing the lack of imagination of Chris Chibnall, it'll amount to
Spoiler alert
the Doctor
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
the Master
[close]
being the
Spoiler alert
timeless children
[close]
, as the
Spoiler alert
Doctor
[close]
has already been called
Spoiler alert
the timeless child
[close]
prior to this and
Spoiler alert
the Master
[close]
is repeatedly shown to be a parallel to
Spoiler alert
the Doctor
[close]
in all other contexts.

Probably
Spoiler alert
the Doctor and Master
[close]
having to team up to defeat the Cybermen, I suspect,
Spoiler alert
and the Master attempting to undermine and destroy the Doctor at the last moment
[close]
, which would be nice if it evoked the 1970s in doing so, but it won't because Chibnall is shite-o.

Alberon

I suppose
Spoiler alert
Lenny Henry
[close]
might show up as well.

Cloud

It seems to me that things are still pointing towards the alleged leaks mentioned on Reddit where "everything has happened so far" and
Spoiler alert
the Doctor IS the Timeless Child and had a whole set of (female) incarnations prior to the Hartnell one, supported by some kind of mind wiping fuckery and regardless of the appearance of the TARDIS and the way it takes a massive shit on Hartnell's legacy
[close]
- but let's have some faith and hope it's not that!  Again I'm sceptical as when I asked for a source I was linked to Nerdrotic who has a clear
Spoiler alert
Muh SJW Feminazis RUINING Doctor Who
[close]
agenda where he's bound to gravitate towards
Spoiler alert
the Doctor was a bunch of women and that's bad
[close]
theories / "leaks".

Mister Six

It's got to be season 6B, hasn't it? Time Lord CIA take Troughton, give him a bonus regen that makes him RuthDoc, make her do all kinds of shady shit till she goes rogue. RuthDoc and Thirteen foil Time Lord plans, RuthDoc loses memory of that incarnation and regenerates into Sean Pertwee, who then gets booted out of his TARDIS and into Earth to be Doc Three.

There's precedent for this kind of thing with both War Doctor and recasting the First Doctor, and Chibnall is exactly the kind of nerd who'd try to wrangle an obscure bit of theoretical continuity[nb] Although with Who, of course, all continuity is theoretical.[/nb] into the show proper.

Thomas

I can see it working, in a perfunctory, bare bones sort of way - I just wish they hadn't
Spoiler alert
called her Ruth
[close]

Replies From View

If she's an actual incarnation of our Doctor and not some alternative reality version, then it's just - fuck's sake Chibnall.  At least wait until the 60th anniversary before tenuously ripping off Day of the Doctor.  Build towards it.  Have a reason for doing it and do it well instead of so badly it makes your cock bleed.

Also, MAKE A SHOW THAT EIGHT YEAR OLDS CAN WATCH WITHOUT NEEDING TO PLOD THROUGH AT LEAST ELEVEN SERIES BOX SETS BEFOREHAND.  Doctor Who is going to die soon if it obsesses over the possibility of previous unknown incarnations.  Make a show for people who don't even know what regeneration is yet.

SAVE THIS SHIT FOR VERY SPECIAL OCCASIONS ONLY.  STOP THINKING THESE GIMMICKS ARE THE CURE FOR OFFERING SUCH MUNDANE STORIES AND DIALOGUE AT ALL OTHER TIMES.

Thomas

I also feel that the current Doctor's personality hasn't yet been drawn well enough for us to see her confront/join forces with a brand new secret Doctor and face down bad un Time Lords. It doesn't feel like she owns the show. A new Doctor being the epicentre of drama and surprise seems unfair, even. RuthDoc has already slagged off Thirteen's comparatively bland outfit and her knack for confusion. And she has a nicer TARDIS.

When John HurtDoc insulted Ten and Eleven it was joyous and funny, as we knew them so well and they were both assuredly the Doctor in distinctive ways.

Mister Six

I was thinking a bit back, if I had to do a multi-Doctor story with Thirteen in it,  I'd be hard-pushed to think of ways for the other Doctors to mock her that wouldn't seem like bullying on their part or mean-spirited hatred on mine. She's just so weak and ineffectual, and her character flaws - particularly her weird liberalism compared to the fiery anarchism of previous Docs - so awful... She's just not admirable but flawed in the way that previous Docs were.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Mister Six on February 07, 2020, 02:20:12 AM
I was thinking a bit back, if I had to do a multi-Doctor story with Thirteen in it,  I'd be hard-pushed to think of ways for the other Doctors to mock her that wouldn't seem like bullying on their part or mean-spirited hatred on mine. She's just so weak and ineffectual, and her character flaws - particularly her weird liberalism compared to the fiery anarchism of previous Docs - so awful... She's just not admirable but flawed in the way that previous Docs were.

Ha, yes, that is a tricky one. But as a Thirteen story, it'd all be her narrating and explaining things anyway.

THIRTEEN: Oh, hello. I'm the Doctor. And you're... No way! No actual way! But this means... But that's impossible! But you're...
ELEVEN: I'm the Doctor.
RYAN: Woah. This is weird.
THIRTEEN: Oh, brilliant! This is really brilliant. I love you! I never thought I'd get to tell you, but I really love you.
YAZ: I don't understand, Doctor – who is this?
THIRTEEN: Yaz, this is me. The Doctor. But a younger Doctor. My... Eleventh Regeneration. He must've come through a time hole[nb]Placeholder dialogue that will never be rewritten[/nb]. I was younger back then, but I acted older.
ELEVEN: Hey! I'm not acting old, I'm cool. And you can talk: what happened to your trousers, a problem with the time-space differential?
THIRTEEN: But he was brilliant. He defeated the Weeping Angels. He fought his way out of the heart of the Asylum of the Daleks. Defended the universe at Trenzalore.
ELEVEN (enjoying the praise): Well, now... (But then serious) Hold on, Trenzalore? You said... Trenzalore?
GRAHAM: Hey, Doc, if you're him from the future, maybe he hasn't done that yet?
THIRTEEN: Oh! Yes, sorry. Of course: spoilers. Thanks Graham. Doctor, this is Ryan, Graham, and Yaz. My fam.
RYAN: Hey.
GRAHAM: Pleased to meet you, Doc.
YAZ: So... You're the Doctor?

Etc. etc. She can spend her time reading out what's happening. The other Doctors can remark on her clothing and sonic screwdriver, and we can all try to pretend that her defining characteristic is kindness rather than the combination of a weird nonchalance and affection for celebrities.

Mister Six

Leo2112

Superb.

I can't imagine Thirteen being able to navigate herself out of the events of Heaven Sent, or a number of other stories really.

Malcy

Seems strange to be bringing in an unknown Doctor, where you could of got Paul McGann back.

Replies From View

Absolutely love the "...again" that pops up after "what's still to come...  will change everything..."

Even the trailers are like "fuck this" now.

Replies From View

The new Cybermen are wearing Easter baby bonnet things?

Seem a bit crap.

daf

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on February 07, 2020, 06:18:19 PM
Seems strange to be bringing in an unknown Doctor, where you could of got Paul McGann back.

"Sorry I can't make it - I'm stuck in the sodding time scoop . . . again!"

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Watched episode seven and I can say, without fear of censure or contradiction, that it's definitely another episode of Chibnall's Doctor Who.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on February 07, 2020, 07:26:04 PM
Absolutely love the "...again" that pops up after "what's still to come...  will change everything..."

Even the trailers are like "fuck this" now.

Such half-arsed desperation. "Look, just fucking watch it, okay? Christ..."