Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:02:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 12, Chibnall's Revenge

Started by Deanjam, June 13, 2019, 04:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Quote from: olliebean on February 12, 2020, 05:28:09 PM
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-02-12/doctor-who-complaints-doctor-graham/

So the intention was to sympathise with people who, when faced with a difficult conversation, deal with it by saying "Sorry, I'm socially awkward" and walking away?

Without actually saying "Sorry, I'm socially awkward", I think would be a better way to do this, and then showing her agonising about it afterwards.  AIUI it's very common for people to just plain avoid or ghost people who try to bring up their problems.  It IS an issue and perhaps worth addressing but not in the usual Chib-fisted way - probably more as "this is a problem, we need to be better at handling these things" rather than "this is fine".

BlodwynPig

This sounds more like an episode of Doctors than the once reasonably good 1970's Sci-fi show

Alberon

Which reminds me I never got to see the Doctors episode with Sylvester McCoy as an actor who once did a cult tv show.

It must be on the net somewhere.

Mango Chimes

It plays like a rule-of-three joke: Ryan's mate was lonely and builds a connection with some new people, Yaz reconnects with a woman who was there for her when she had no one to go to, Graham doesn't know who else to go to so reaches out to the Doctor... Surprise! No connection at all! Because she's sOcIaLlY aWkWaRd!

It also plays as a joke because whilst Walsh is giving this lovely naturalistic performance, Whittaker's a cartoon of nervous discomfort, big facial expression and hugging herself like she's never done before. I can understand empathising with the Doctor in this scenario, except for the fact that it's structured such that to do so we have to ditch Graham in her favour. It's a mess on every level of construction.

Malcy

Synopsis for the finale.

Spoiler alert
"The aftermath of the Great CyberWar. The Doctor and friends arrive in the far future intent on protecting the last of the human race from the deadly Cybermen.

"But in the face of such a relentless enemy, has the Doctor put her best friends at risk? What terrors lie hiding in the depths of space? And what is Ko Sharmus?"
[close]

daf

Quote from: Malcy on February 13, 2020, 01:35:03 PM
Spoiler alert
"But in the face of such a relentless enemy, has the Doctor put her best friends at risk?
[close]

Spoiler alert
Don't care.

We've already been told in Orphan 55 that :   "'it's one possible future. It's one timeline . . . it's not decided. You know that. The future is not fixed'" . . . so y'know - if it all goes tits-up, just pop into another timeline & carry on!
[close]

Norton Canes

Cloud

Synopsis for the finale.

Spoiler alert
And what is Ko Sharmus?"
[close]

Spoiler alert
it's nuffin!  It's just sum rash ok?
[close]
Spoiler alert
I realised the S and H are the wrong way round but fuck it
[close]

Spoiler alert
I bet it's the Doctor / Timeless Child's real name or something
[close]

bobloblaw

Synopsis for the finale.

Spoiler alert
"The aftermath of the Great CyberWar. The Doctor and friends arrive in the far future intent on protecting the last of the human race from the deadly Cybermen.

"But in the face of such a relentless enemy, has the Doctor put her best friends at risk? What terrors lie hiding in the depths of space? And what is Ko Sharmus?"
[close]

Spoiler alert
Twist: the last of the human race is .... Benny
[close]

daf

Spoiler alert
And what is Ko Sharmus?"
[close]

Spoiler alert
The MashKur?
[close]

Mango Chimes

It's the question everyone's asking! Is it a Korean leprechaun? Is it a Vulcan sexual practice? Is it a weirdly foregrounded meaningless collection of letters like Ra's Al Kolos or whatever the last finale had?

Can't wait to find out!

VelourSpirit

And just who are Angstrom and Epzo?

Who or what are the Ux?

And what are the fearsome Chagaskas terrorising Aleppo in 1380?

And what is Ko Sharmus?

VelourSpirit

Imagine if every sypnosis was like that.

Who are the Adherents of the Repeated Meme? Who is the Face of Boe? What is the Forest of Cheem? And who is the Moxx of Balhoon?

Why did RTD have such a great knack for alien names? Those are just so much better than anything we've had in the Chibnall era. Andrew Ellard had some good tweets about this somewhere.

Deanjam

Spoiler alert
what is Ko Sharmus?"
[close]

It's an anagram of
Spoiler alert
Sumo Shark
[close]

weekender

Quote from: TwinPeaks on February 13, 2020, 05:13:37 PMWhy did RTD have such a great knack for alien names?

Why did RTD and Moffat understand how to write dialogue for their characters?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Episode 8: The Haunting of Villa Diodati.

Spoiler alert
Just who is the mysterious Villa Diodati?

I quite liked this one, it's a decent stab at Who doing Gothic horror, a good old-fashioned dark and stormy haunted house yarn (but with sci-fi trappings, obviously). It's the only time Chibnall's Who has ever been remotely creepy.

The dialogue isn't terrible, it's competently-directed and the plot keeps you guessing.

On the downside, the famous historical supporting characters are thinly sketched - even Byron comes across as bland.

Apart from that and a few other spoilery things which bothered me a bit, it's alright.
[close]

Cloud

Bit random but I had it in my head that the Doctor had in previous lives objected to being called "Doc".  Can't find reference to it now, though.  I'm sure it dates all the way back to Hartnell telling someone "Doc? Who is that?".  I was hoping there might be youtube clips to stitch together for every time Graham does it

Doesn't Hurndall's version of the First Doctor take exception to Tegan calling him Doc in The Five Doctors? I can't remember if the actual Hartnell ever flipped his wig over it.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: TwinPeaks on February 13, 2020, 05:13:37 PM
Who is the Face of Boe? What is the Forest of Cheem? And who is the Moxx of Balhoon?

Why did RTD have such a great knack for alien names? Those are just so much better than anything we've had in the Chibnall era. Andrew Ellard had some good tweets about this somewhere.

I dunno. They're laughable too, really.

The first one is a Leigh Francis foam mask, the second is near the Forest of Sutton, and the third one is something you inhale at a festival.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on February 13, 2020, 07:29:29 PM
I dunno. They're laughable too, really.

They're silly names, yes, but RTD, because he's not an idiot, never attempted to use them as a publicity hook. Chibnall seems to think that mentioning a bunch of stupid alien names in a press release is fiendishly tantalising.

"What could these words that I've just plucked out of my arse possibly mean?! Tune in to find out!"

daf

Quote from: Cloud on February 13, 2020, 07:22:42 PM
Bit random but I had it in my head that the Doctor had in previous lives objected to being called "Doc".  Can't find reference to it now, though.  I'm sure it dates all the way back to Hartnell telling someone "Doc? Who is that?".

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 13, 2020, 07:26:46 PMI can't remember if the actual Hartnell ever flipped his wig over it.

Yes, it was Hartnell - a couple of times in The Time Meddler

Quote from:  Episode 1 : "The Watcher'
STEVEN : Say, this is quite a ship you've got here, Doc. Never seen anything like it.
DOCTOR : Now listen to me, young man. Sit down. Now, there are two things you can do. One, sit there until you get your breath back, and two, don't call me Doc! Now do I make myself clear?
STEVEN : Yes, yes, whatever you say, Doc-tor!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote from: Episode 4 : "Checkmate"
DOCTOR : Well now, be a good fellow and go into the machine and try and find one.
STEVEN : Yes, okay, Doc.
DOCTOR : Hmm?
STEVEN : Tor.
VICKI : Who are you going to write to?
DOCTOR : To the Monk, of course. Who else?

Ah! Thanks, daf.

That Steven Purves, eh? He was such a loose cannon.

Cloud

Good work... yeah I thought it was Steven!  The original Graham, you might say.

Bingo Fury

I like the fact she lets Graham call her Doc. I always think of it as a warm callback to Sergeant Benton, another working-class character who was allowed to address the Doctor less formally.

Cerys

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 09, 2020, 09:23:50 PM
Ach. That episode wasn't bad. On a second watch, I noticed that it did at least attempt to clumsily tie its themes together.

The only way I can accept that an actual adult wrote this episode is if they gave it the William Burroughs treatment and mixed up all the pages before pasting it back together into something resembling a coherent narrative.  Unfortunately they were apparently under the influence of too much ego when they did it, and the result was a pile of flapping celluloid.  Even though they don't use celluloid any more.

Thomas

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 13, 2020, 07:20:35 PM
Episode 8: The Haunting of Villa Diodati.

Spoiler alert
Just who is the mysterious Villa Diodati?

I quite liked this one, it's a decent stab at Who doing Gothic horror, a good old-fashioned dark and stormy haunted house yarn (but with sci-fi trappings, obviously). It's the only time Chibnall's Who has ever been remotely creepy.

The dialogue isn't terrible, it's competently-directed and the plot keeps you guessing.

On the downside, the famous historical supporting characters are thinly sketched - even Byron comes across as bland.

Apart from that and a few other spoilery things which bothered me a bit, it's alright.
[close]

I had an idea once for an episode set at Villa Diodati. Cloth-faced Cybermen in the dead of night. Obvious Frankenstein link. Can't use that now when I'm showrunner.

Byron is an interesting historical figure to include in this series of Who. The Chibnall era is big on progressive historical education, but I don't know if we'll see Graham ticking off Lord Byron for being an incestuous paedo. It'll be a shame if he's bland. He could be a great foil for the Doctor, a pompous irritant a lá Robin Hood. Send up the classic 'Byronic hero' image, have him cowering in the corner when he thinks no one's looking, at pains to hide his bald patches even in a supernatural crisis.

notjosh

Quote from: Thomas on February 14, 2020, 11:06:26 AM
I had an idea once for an episode set at Villa Diodati. Cloth-faced Cybermen in the dead of night. Obvious Frankenstein link. Can't use that now when I'm showrunner.

Byron is an interesting historical figure to include in this series of Who. The Chibnall era is big on progressive historical education, but I don't know if we'll see Graham ticking off Lord Byron for being an incestuous paedo. It'll be a shame if he's bland. He could be a great foil for the Doctor, a pompous irritant a lá Robin Hood. Send up the classic 'Byronic hero' image, have him cowering in the corner when he thinks no one's looking, at pains to hide his bald patches even in a supernatural crisis.

I haven't heard it, but Big Finish already did something like that.

I have heard the following story - The Silver Turk - which features Mary Shelley as a companion battling cybermen. It's great.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote"What could these words that I've just plucked out of my arse possibly mean?! Tune in to find out!"

'What is BAD WOLF? What is TORCHWOOD?'

This shit's easy, innit?

weekender

'Tremas' was always my favourite of the lazy anagrams.