Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,173
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:18:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 12, Chibnall's Revenge

Started by Deanjam, June 13, 2019, 04:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 22, 2019, 05:06:23 PM
Yeah, I quite like that episode. I feel like the aliens would've been more interesting if they used a pre-existing species from the series' past that was evil though.

Yeah. When Chibnall first announced no returning monsters, I thought that was a great and bold move on his part. But I didn't think he'd then fail to create anything memorable in their place. Too many humanoid aliens with the vaguest of bad intentions, giving it even more of a cheap '90s air.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 22, 2019, 09:44:18 AM
Kerblam was such insulting shite I legitimately stopped watching the show as a whole because of it. Not here to have a whinge about it and say it's all fucked, but I found it very hard to keep giving the show good faith after such a fucking awful episode on every moral level.

I think the thing that made me turn it off in disgust was that I thought to myself "children watch this and legitimately derive morals and foundational beliefs from this show sometimes" and while you could probably say that of shit like Grant Thieb Outro: Saint Andrea too in an attempt at censoring more adult-oriented shit, Doctor Who has really always prided itself on being broader-spectrum family entertainment.

The idea of my nephew, who loves older Doctor who for example, watching Kerblam and taking morals away from it made me feel viscerally quite sick because it said some very awful things about worker's rights abuses in our very real world.

Utter shite for cunts. More like Dicktor Spew!!!

Ah, but maybe it was teaching them the far more important lesson that you can't trust anyone, especially those who claim they're a force for good. Ahhhh. etc.

Demons of the Punjab would have a very different beast with the Krotons in it

EDIT: also what Old Gold Tooth said.

I guess the Ptang or whatever it was would count?

daf

Quote from: Deyv on November 22, 2019, 04:45:09 PM
Top left of the poster looks so bare. Absolute shit. Could've put an exploding Nazi there or something, anything to balance things out. It just looks so lopsided.

Deyv

I appreciate the attempt. It's like in that Simpsons episode where Marge puts a separate picture of Bart on the Christmas family picture, except instead of my heart being warmed my stomach is being churned. Took me ages to remember who the character was, though.

VelourSpirit

Demons of the Punjab was the only decent episode. Still dragged down by all the common series 11 elements that make each episode shit though. It's all shit. Chibnall's just confirmed he's doing series 13 too. The fact that I'm planning on even watching series 12 makes me realise I will just not stop watching Doctor Who, because this is genuinely some of the worst TV I've seen. Especially fucking Kerblam. They have a line about the workers being off for a month after that girl was killed, but it's okay because they get two weeks of pay, and nothing else fucking changes and it's all presented without any irony at all. Fucking hell. Actually offensive, rather than just offensively dull.

Malcy

Mister Six

I'd say It Takes You Away was the one truly great episode. Rosa and Punjab are tied as being worthy and okay but a bit dull. Woman Who Fell to Earth is actually pretty good, I think, especially for a Chibnall episode. Witchfinders is decent largely unremarkable, except that it's got Alan Cummings giving the only fun guest performance of the series, and The Doctor actually does something rather than shrugging her shoulders and letting injustice continue.

Everything else was varying shades of shite. Arachnids was the most obviously badly written, Kerblam the most infuriating because of its actively evil (and decidedly un-Doctory) "morals".

Alberon

I'll watch the new series. I've said before that I've sat through Time and the Rani (twice, thinking about it, original broadcast and DVD). After that Kerblam is merely appalling and morally evil.

Can't wait for the return of Teethface and Racist Time Fonz.

Cloud

I realllllly hope the writing has taken a massive leap forward.  It's possible (look at Star Trek Discovery S1 vs. S2).  I hope if only to prove the Daily Mail dickheads wrong who predictably upon mention of Stephen Fry and Lenny Henry were all "oooh how predictable of Doctor Woke to wheel out a puff and a n**ger, this is going to be sooo bad"

H-O-W-L

We could all agree that pretty much every Doctor up to and including 12 would've blown Kerblam the fuck up after finding out the injustices going on behind its walls, right? The Dongdiddly has killed entire star systems for less.

Cloud

Aye but the show is being run by the (neo-)Liberal Elite rich leftist capitalists now (, he said mockingly - to avoid any doubt)

Deyv

Quote from: Mister Six on November 22, 2019, 08:26:37 PM
I'd say It Takes You Away was the one truly great episode.

I liked that one up until the end. It wasn't the frog on the chair bit I disliked, I thought that was a pretty fun idea, but when the Doctor got very emotional about saying goodbye to it I didn't care enough and it was a bit of a limp to the finish. I liked the bits with Kevin Eldon too, didn't realise it was him until after the episode ended.

The Women Who Fell to Earth was enjoyable stuff, apart from that bit where the Doctor says "you had no right to do that" to that fella. Felt like an attempt at characterisation that isn't followed up. Lots of padding, but yeah I liked it the episode at the time.

I'll probably be watching the next series, but there's nothing intriguing about it. Before they announced Fry and Henry, I didn't give a shit, and I still don't because it'll be just like when Lee Mack or anyone else was in the previous one. Forgettable. Apart from Alan Cumming, yeah, to be fair.

daf

Quote from: Deyv on November 22, 2019, 05:40:58 PM
Took me ages to remember who the character was, though.

Racist Time Fonz™

(He's been zapped into the past I think - so we might see him again with a big old tramp's beard if they do a Caveman episode or something.)

VelourSpirit

Woman who Fell to Earth was just rubbish to me. Maybe it's just unfair to compare it to Rose and The Eleventh Hour but those were such bold and energetic opening statements on how Doctor Who could be reinvented under two fantastic writers.
Chair frog would be shit in any other series but a lot of people say it's the only one in series 11 that gets what Doctor Who is about. Yeah alright it's about a frog that's a sentient universe, and that's beautiful because the episode tells you it is. why the fuck was ryan sidelined for the entire climax, that just does not make sense to me

Small Man Big Horse

Deanjam

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 23, 2019, 01:17:06 AM
Chibnall's confirmed that he's sticking around for season 13

Unlucky for some all of us

Malcy

Phil_A

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 22, 2019, 10:01:09 PM
We could all agree that pretty much every Doctor up to and including 12 would've blown Kerblam the fuck up after finding out the injustices going on behind its walls, right? The Dongdiddly has killed entire star systems for less.

Yes. I was thinking about how in the past the Doctor has always, almost without exception, been an anti-Establishment figure. It's a core part of the character, it's the whole reason why they left Gallifrey in the first place! That aspect has remained for decades, regardless of who's playing the part or the writers.

Moving away from that has been of the one the most fundamental and disappointing shifts of the Chibnall season, but also for me the point where it stops being recognisably the same show.

Jerzy Bondov

If I was in charge of Doctor Who there would immediately be a sequel to Kerblam where it gets the full Tenth Doctor Family of Blood treatment

olliebean

Looking at that image further up the page, if the definition of Matt Smith's Doctor was a mad man with a box, Jodie Whittaker's is a scatty woman with a sonic.

Ja'moke

Malcy

It looks fun. The Cybermen look good from the brief glimpse we got. The Racnoss looking thing must be Anjli Mohindra who played Rani on SJA.

The thumbnail for the one I watched says Streaming Soon with BBC iPlayer's logo underneath. Be good if they just released it all on there in one go. Doubt it though.

Either that looks good or someone did a wonderful edit job.

I liked the ideas behind about half of season 11 - The Ghost Monument, Rosa, Demons, Kerblam!, Witchfinders, It Takes You Away - but they all made at least one big mis-step that ruined it. It wasn't even the frog per se.

Anyway, all could have done with a proper rewrite and tightening and you'd have decent episodes.

Malcy

No Daleks in the trailer. Must have been for the Xmas special for next year. If they are in the series then you would think they would show them.

Deanjam

Good trailer. Could be the edit of course. The real test will be in the quieter moments between the bombast. It was the dullness of the characters and the dialogue that hurt last season the most for me. Some nice imagery, the brief glimpse of the mucky cyberman looked good. An attempt to make them creepier would be appreciated.

olliebean

So after all the uncertainty about whether we were getting a Christmas Special or a New Year Special, it looks like we're getting - neither?

Small Man Big Horse

I thought that looked fun, something the last season very rarely was. Not convinced it will be, but at least it's made me vaguely optimistic for the future of the show which I haven't been in a fair while now.

I must be a right daft sod but I always get excited by a new series Doctor Who trailer and this was no exception. Series itself will be mince.

olliebean

First time since 2005 that Doctor Who will have been off the air for over a year. That feels significant, somehow.