Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:41:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 12, Chibnall's Revenge

Started by Deanjam, June 13, 2019, 04:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Plus it looks like Chibnall is only writing, at most, four episodes, which is a blessing.

Replies From View

This article proudly mentions Christmas, but swiftly follows it up by clarifying that it means New Year's Day.  Which isn't fucking Christmas is it.

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2019/11/26/doctor-who-series-12-to-begin-on-bbcone-this-christmas/

olliebean

So we are probably getting a New Year's Day episode, but it's not a special, is it? The "Special" has been folded into the series, to make yet one fewer episode per year. They're chipping away at it, bit by bit.

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 26, 2019, 03:59:43 PM
You're probably right but sometimes writers improve over time (after the disappointment of seasons 8 and 9 I don't anyone predicted just how great 10 would be) and there's always the hope that the new writers will produce something decent.

I'm terribly sorry to inform you that Chibnall will not get better over time.  He has not and he will not.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on November 26, 2019, 05:57:20 PM
So we are probably getting a New Year's Day episode, but it's not a special, is it? The "Special" has been folded into the series, to make yet one fewer episode per year. They're chipping away at it, bit by bit.

Hmm; that's a very good point.  I wonder if we can expect to find 10 episodes following the New Year's Day one or if it'll just be folded in.

Ja'moke

Are the weekly episodes still airing on Sundays do we know? Or moving back to Saturday?

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 02, 2019, 03:26:30 PM
Are the weekly episodes still airing on Sundays do we know? Or moving back to Saturday?
Sundays.

"Spyfall"?

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 02, 2019, 03:12:28 PM
Starts New Year's Day. Doesn't sound like the dialogue has got any better.

I thought the opening bit was pretty good. The rest wasn't coherent enough to judge the dialogue but it does seem much faster paced.

Looks like proper Wank. The Orange and Teal is back.

Cloud

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 02, 2019, 03:12:28 PM
Starts New Year's Day. Doesn't sound like the dialogue has got any better.

Best part of that was "you don't know me".  Bit of depth to the Doctor again?  I mean, it was always there in her past, but always felt sort of blissfully ignored in S11.  I always did prefer the whole "I am thousands-ish years old and seen some shit" thing.

The Roofdog

That song brought me out in hives but otherwise another decent trailer.

Replies From View

Quote from: A Hat Like That on December 02, 2019, 04:36:01 PM
I thought the opening bit was pretty good. The rest wasn't coherent enough to judge the dialogue but it does seem much faster paced.

It seemed fast paced but I think it may have been a trailer rather than a full episode.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Even if this turns out to be better than S11, it still won't be great because Chibnall is incapable of greatness. There will almost certainly be a couple of pretty good episodes, Chibnall will probably write one that's slightly better than his usual standard, but that's it.

Usual caveat: I will be delighted if I'm proved wrong.

Ambient Sheep

Looks like Jodie Whittaker is on The Graham Norton Show this Friday, repeated late the following Monday as usual.

Replies From View

oh good maybe she'll say again that she drinks a bottle of wine every night

really fascinating woman really worth listening to at every turn

Norton Canes

Can put in a good turn given good material, all that bothers me

I mean heaven forfend that anyone playing the Doctor should boast about their drinking prowess...

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 03, 2019, 12:52:30 PM
I mean heaven forfend that anyone playing the Doctor should boast about their drinking prowess...

I don't particularly mind that, just that it wasn't at all amazing despite Philip Schofield seemingly finding it the most gobsmacking revelation to ever strike his mind.

They could try to conduct interviews that aren't shit, to inspire people to watch the show.

VelourSpirit

Jodie Whittaker seems like a lovely person but Peter Capaldi just GETS it man, he's beautiful to listen to. This video is absolutely delightful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rewhHdFDCZg

Quote from: TwinPeaks on December 03, 2019, 10:16:19 PM
Jodie Whittaker seems like a lovely person but Peter Capaldi just GETS it man, he's beautiful to listen to. This video is absolutely delightful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rewhHdFDCZg

QuoteCan we just have a whole show where Capaldi talks and draws things?

daf

Sniffing a lot - was he on the old cocaines at this point?

(also full marks for correctly calling the character "Doctor Who" - none of this "The Doctor" rubbish!)

Christ! He knows the lyrics for Pertwee's flop single by heart - what a ledge!

Alberon

He's a fan's fan. He makes David Tennant look like a guy who has never heard of the show.

Chairman Yang

Oh my heart(s), he's so adorable! That one video of the kids asking him about Rose and him really thoughtfully improvising in character is similarly wonderful.

I do wonder how much the show is just a gig to Jodie Whittaker. It'd be a shame if her time on the show ended before she got into her groove. I mean even Eccleston seems to care about the character and he hates Doctor Who!

I guess I ought to start rewatching the last series before New Year's Day. You're all welcome to join me in this thankless ordeal.

Replies From View

I'd argue that three series is rarely enough time for an actor to get into their groove; it usually feels like they're just beginning to hit their stride and then they're gone.  This applies to both Smith and Capaldi at least.

daf

Which is where Big Finish come in handy - every single Sixth Doctor Who audio is vastly superior to the anything we saw on TV - by sodding miles. He's hit his stride so hard, there's a groove in the road behind him.

On TV - absolute catshit
On Audio - Best of the lot.

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on December 04, 2019, 07:13:01 PM
He's hit his stride so hard, there's a groove in the road behind him.

That was going to happen anyway due to his weight.

daf

ZING!!

Though he's lovely and slim on audio, of course!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Replies From View on December 04, 2019, 06:11:53 PM
I'd argue that three series is rarely enough time for an actor to get into their groove; it usually feels like they're just beginning to hit their stride and then they're gone.  This applies to both Smith and Capaldi at least.

I'd agree with Capaldi, but I thought Smith was on fire from the beginning.

Deanjam

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 05, 2019, 02:11:59 AM
I'd agree with Capaldi, but I thought Smith was on fire from the beginning.

Right from "Could I have an apple?"

And I say that as someone who thought he would be terrible and far too young.

Norton Canes

So 'Spyfall' - it's a Bond pastiche, that much is abundantly clear, and the level of subtlety has already been indicated by the line "Doctor... the Doctor."

How many other Bond catchphrases are gong to be crow-barred in? Definitely:

"Doctor..?"
"No."