Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,474
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:43:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Friends Thread [split topic]

Started by gilbertharding, June 12, 2019, 05:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr. logic

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 14, 2019, 01:25:31 PM
you make a valid point that women are not so shallow as to place shitloads of importance on judging potential partners on the basis of their looks, and it's character and personality that are more important concerns for them, but George has a completely crap personality, as well. He's neurotic, needy and a bit of a nutcase.

This was my point, and why I didn't include Jerry. Jerry in the show is a laidback and successful comedian, with cash and a natural ease around women. The idea that a jobless George could attract women is absurd.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Truly absurd, yes. The problem isn't that George is a little fat bald fella - Jason Alexander is a fairly handsome man - it's that the vast majority of women he ends up dating are depicted as well-adjusted people who, in reality, would quickly realise that George is a total fruitcake. They wouldn't make it past a first date.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 14, 2019, 09:40:47 AM
Jerry had about 90 girlfriends and two of them were Jane Leeves and Teri Hatcher so I won't argue with that. It's one of the little annoyances of the show for me. The sheer number of young, attractive women who not only give George and Jerry a second look but actual sex them. Rather than thank god they get all these women they reverse it and nitpick about them! It takes me out of the suspension of disbelief. But that's endemic in American TV and film. Look at Emma Stone with Jonah Hill in Superbad or Katherine Heigle and whathisname in Knocked up. Seth Rogan.

Men just have to be funny. Women 95% of the time have to be all that and stunning looking.

Rebel Wilson and Melissa McCarthy are two exceptions I can think of but they're relatively rare.

But it is a deliberately comedic part of the show. That Jerry and George date all of these unrealistically attractive women and dump them after one week because of some superficial foible. It's fucking hilarious is what it is.

In my opinion, Seinfeld is nearly impervious to any character-based criticisms because the entire ethos of the show is that the protagonists are monstrous (though relatable). That's also why it's a singular artistic achievement, because it is an intensely comforting/entertaining show about traditional anti-heroes, but the anti-heroes are almost never given any redeeming character traits or moral complexities.

St_Eddie

Icehaven

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 14, 2019, 09:22:35 PM
Truly absurd, yes. The problem isn't that George is a little fat bald fella - Jason Alexander is a fairly handsome man -

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 15, 2019, 02:38:40 PM
Huh.  Takes all sorts, I guess.

I've never seen Seinfeld so had to Google him, and turns out you're talking about the rapey lawyer in Pretty Woman, and I don't mean to sound shallow either but....yeah he's not a handsome man.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: icehaven on June 14, 2019, 06:19:46 PM
There's F•R•I•E•N•D•S shirts in Primark too

I like that the ones I've seen say "F.R.I.E.N.D.S.-The TV Show", so you don't have to worry about people thinking you're wearing a shirt about the general concept of friendship.

Ronalado

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on June 16, 2019, 05:47:50 PM
I like that the ones I've seen say "F.R.I.E.N.D.S.-The TV Show", so you don't have to worry about people thinking you're wearing a shirt about the general concept of friendship.

but acally would maybe be nice ? John Elkann (Chairman)
Michael Manley (CEO) of FCA US LCC - maybe more improtant people does not exist in world

BUT smal girl and boys in MOÇAMBIQUE REPIBLIC also important as fan on RONALADO

together in tsirt we all f,r,e,i,n,d,s <£

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: icehaven on June 15, 2019, 02:54:36 PM
I've never seen Seinfeld so had to Google him, and turns out you're talking about the rapey lawyer in Pretty Woman, and I don't mean to sound shallow either but....yeah he's not a handsome man.

He's American sitcom ugly, which means he's decent or fairly good looking in real life. In Britain, he's a solid 8.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 16, 2019, 09:37:29 PM
He's American sitcom ugly, which means he's decent or fairly good looking in real life. In Britain, he's a solid 8.

Who the hell do you people hang around with, Robocop toxic waste spillage victims?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 16, 2019, 11:16:30 PM
Who the hell do you people hang around with, Robocop toxic waste spillage victims?

No, just British people. Easy mistake though.

Fry

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 13, 2019, 05:41:36 PM
Friends is not better than Seinfeld. Come off it Fry.

Nah I didn't say it was better per se, Seinfeld definitely is more inventive and groundbreaking. Probably funnier, pound for pound, too. Although I do think Friends is more watchable, an admittedly more nebulous concept I find hard to articulate. I think it's to do with the fact I think the Friends cast are better characterised, deeper and (on average) better actors. Seinfeld, as a sitcom, errs more on the cartoonish. It's funnier, per episode. But probably harder to just watch for a long period of time. There's a reason Friends[/] got almost constant reruns about 10 years back.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: mojo filters on June 14, 2019, 05:33:52 PM
To be fair, I've yet to see some dumb youngster wearing a t-shirt with some "We Were On A Break!" logo...but I suspect it's coming!

I think most people over the age of 18 now would have been familiar with Friends before it was on Netflix though. It was repeated for years and it's probably the most common DVD box set I'd seen in people's houses growing up. Feels like everyone my age knows of 'we were on a break' and other Ross antics. Something like Seinfeld would be different, I only really hear about it on here and when Americans talk about it on other sites.

imitationleather

Quote from: TwinPeaks on June 17, 2019, 12:57:52 AM
I think most people over the age of 18 now would have been familiar with Friends before it was on Netflix though. It was repeated for years and it's probably the most common DVD box set I'd seen in people's houses growing up. Feels like everyone my age knows of 'we were on a break' and other Ross antics. Something like Seinfeld would be different, I only really hear about it on here and when Americans talk about it on other sites.

Before the DVDs Seinfeld was a ruddy nightmare to watch over here so it just hasn't embedded in our culture at all. I've never watched Friends but I know "We were on a break" and stuff. For Seinfeld I had to go to the ballache of watching it at 11.30pm on Sunday nights or downloading rips which were such poor quality you could barely make out what the actors looked like.

bgmnts

Jason Alexander would probably clean up in my town, at leasy 75% of the population are wombat-esque.

gilbertharding

Funnily enough this weekend's Channel 5 reruns just showed George Costanza's appearance in Friends from early 2001 (unfortunately it's not an actual crossover episode). He plays an office supplies manager who wants to commit suicide (lol, right?).

Quote from: The Friends Fandom wikiJason Alexander is well known for his portrayal of Earl in Friends. He also portrayed as George Costanza on Seinfeld from 1989 to 1998.

Which is one way of putting it...

gilbertharding

Quote from: bgmnts on June 17, 2019, 08:26:30 AM
Jason Alexander would probably clean up in my town, at leasy 75% of the population are wombat-esque.

Short, stocky, slow-witted, balding.

Icehaven

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 17, 2019, 09:21:48 AM

QuoteJason Alexander is well known for his portrayal of Earl in Friends. He also portrayed as George Costanza on Seinfeld from 1989 to 1998.

Which is one way of putting it...

Just as well he wasn't in any Harry Potter films.

gilbertharding

To give whoever wrote that some credit, I think that might have been a joke.

They definitely put it the right way around further down the page.

Gerald Fjord

this video is a must for all fans of friends and seinfeld! very funny mash up for the modern age!

gilbertharding