Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:08:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dr Sleep ( The Shining sequel)

Started by Bazooka, June 14, 2019, 02:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

Might simply be a recreation of a scene from The Shining, pre-axe.

Bazooka

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 17, 2019, 12:38:03 AM
I read the book & I've read most of King's stuff. It was entertaining but very pulpy and nothing like The Shining (book or movie), more like a Young Adult fantasy novel. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the style he'd been pressured into writing since YA novels & their movie adaptations were doing super well at the time what with Twilight, Hunger Games and Harry Potter. Since it felt like such a different fictional universe to the one from The Shining I imagined this movie wouldn't be done as literally a sequel to the Kubrick film but... $$$

Interesting point, I did read it on a beach holiday so my brain was in solar heaven. However to lump it into the teen fantasy  genre couldn't be further from the truth.

Shaky

Plus, I wouldn't imagine Stephen flippin' King is being pressured into writing anything he doesn't want to at this stage.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Bazooka on June 18, 2019, 12:59:20 AM
However to lump it into the teen fantasy  genre couldn't be further from the truth.

It is a dark fantasy story revolving around a teenager though, and is nowhere near as dark as The Shining or more unsettling than, say, an episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer or something.

Quote from: Shaky on June 18, 2019, 01:14:09 AM
Plus, I wouldn't imagine Stephen flippin' King is being pressured into writing anything he doesn't want to at this stage.

Probably not pressured as such, but I can imagine his publisher asking if he's got any ideas hanging around that could appeal to a wider audience including the YA crowd.  Making a sequel to his most well-known work but now featuring a teenage girl protagonist battling evil forces would certainly fit the bill.  This is all speculation of course so I accept that I'm potentially talking nonsense.

bgmnts

Quote from: Shaky on June 18, 2019, 01:14:09 AM

How minted is King? I am assuming he blew a lot of his early success on his drug abuse in the 80s.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bgmnts on June 18, 2019, 11:22:43 AM
How minted is King? I am assuming he blew a lot of his early success on his drug abuse in the 80s.

He's supposedly worth $400 million, and still earns between $20 million and $40 million a year (which will probably only increase given the amount of films and tv shows based on his work in production right now), so he's probably doing alright.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 17, 2019, 08:52:04 AM
He is a character in the movie. Maybe he was able to pull the axe out before it severed any major arteries.

That axe was swung directly into Dicky boy's heart.

Mister Six

Oh fuck, I'd forgotten about this.

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 14, 2019, 05:13:58 PMAt what point within this thread have I metaphorically curled up into the fetal position, like some kind of wilting flower?  You're being grossly hyperbolic with that statement.

I was referring to your very defensive remarks: "If you don't mind sequels to films being made, regardless of whether a sequel is justified or not, then that's your own personal opinion and I'm certainly not going to tell you that you're wrong but equally, am I not allowed to find it distasteful?  Am I expected to be content with it, despite not feeling that way?  Should I just shut up and keep my own personal feelings on the matter to myself?"

Which - since you keep trotting out the word "hyperbole" - massively exaggerate my post from a disagreement with your stance into an attempt to silence you or stop you from having opinions.

Anyway, I reckon this will be the best film ever made. EVER!

St_Eddie

Mister Six

Appreciate that pleasant response.

(Not sarcasm.)

Shaky

Quote from: bgmnts on June 18, 2019, 11:22:43 AM

Yeah, as SMBH says he's pretty well off. I mean, his stuff has never been out of print as far as I'm aware, it sells by the planet-load and he's still prolific at 70. That and the last 30 - 40 years of film adaptations have probably left him pretty comfy.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 18, 2019, 03:30:08 PM
That axe was swung directly into Dicky boy's heart.[/center]

Fortunately, it failed to pierce his thick padded coat, managing only to breach the flask of tomato juice he kept in his pocket for emergency refreshment. His anguished wails are at the thought of the dry cleaning bill, which so perturbs him he passes out from sheer irritation.

Bazooka

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 18, 2019, 02:50:12 PM
He's supposedly worth $400 million, and still earns between $20 million and $40 million a year (which will probably only increase given the amount of films and tv shows based on his work in production right now), so he's probably doing alright.

Very true, yet I hear he has not paid the student loans company back a penny, since graduating from Hull university.

They could make Dick Halloran a ghost and include him that way.

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 20, 2019, 12:24:17 AM

I'm thinking that in all probability, this the most likely direction that they'll take it in.

Mobbd

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 14, 2019, 03:07:34 PM
The AV Club review of the book in 2013 (when the site still had decent writers) was pretty damning, so hopefully it's not a very faithful adaptation at all. https://aux.avclub.com/stephen-king-doctor-sleep-1798178020

I read the book. It was a real chunk of shit.

All that "Rose the Hat" stuff -- sub Neil Gaiman fantasy bollocks -- wasn't just shite in its own right but severely unwelcome in a Shining sequel.

Also, in The Shining, Tony is Danny in the future right? Never came up.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mobbd on June 25, 2019, 12:48:52 PM
Also, in The Shining, Tony is Danny in the future right? Never came up.

Correct.  Danny's middle name is Anthony, hence the voice in his head being 'Tony'.

Quote from: Mobbd on June 25, 2019, 12:48:52 PM
Never came up.

Oh.  You'd have thought there might be a few pages where Danny communicates the information he learned from Tony in The Shining back to his younger self.  That would have been neat.  Missed opportunity.

SteveDave

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 20, 2019, 12:24:17 AM

They could sample Scatman Crothers voice from the many episodes of "Hong Kong Phooey"

Danny- "Are you...are you the ghost of Halloran?"
Halloran- "COULD BE!"

They'd have to make sure the music gets cut out though.

Mobbd

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 25, 2019, 01:00:29 PMYou'd have thought there might be a few pages where Danny communicates the information he learned from Tony in The Shining back to his younger self.  That would have been neat.  Missed opportunity.

Yup. There would be so much you could have done with that. I mean, what prompted Tony (i.e. future Danny) to send those messages to the past (aside from it being inevitable)? How did he do it? What reminded him to do it? Why now and not simply the day after the boiler exploded?

Besides the sending messages back in time mystery, why not tell Tony's fucking story? Let's learn about Tony! Let's learn about Danny growing up to become his own imaginary friend! It's the only reason I can think of to justify a Danny-in-the-future story.

There is a bit where Tony comes up so he wasn't completely forgotten. But King/the narrator just describes him warmly as an old imaginary friend. I think he might have forgotten who Tony was.

Mobbd

Quote from: Mobbd on June 25, 2019, 01:40:03 PMThere is a bit where Tony comes up so he wasn't completely forgotten. But King/the narrator just describes him warmly as an old imaginary friend. I think he might have forgotten who Tony was.

If only there was a way for young King to send telepathic messages to his elderly self in the future.