Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Monty Python Travel Agent sketch internal logic query

Started by ajsmith2, June 14, 2019, 04:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on June 24, 2019, 07:35:04 PM
See I always thought of these logical inconsistencies as a key part of Python's style. The fact that they choose to list two Spam-free meals, and then have the waitress react with disgust at the idea of a Spam-free meal, adds to the humour for me, I love a bit of pedant-baiting illogic. A character can drop a speech impediment when that joke's over, I love that they feel no reason to stick with it.

I dunno, there's something timelessly funny about a lumberjack proudly outing himself as a transvestite in a jaunty song that's meant to be about how rugged he is. I suspect nobody would genuinely find this offensive accept a handful of bitter hack activists.

Everything is dated, if it ever said anything about the time that it was created in and for. According to Hewison's Case Against book, the I Like Chinese single was banned from radio play in Birmingham over fears that Chinese folk would be offended. I suspect, again, that very few of them would have minded it, after all it is a positive, celebratory sort of song.

This is a very fine post.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 24, 2019, 08:46:15 PM
Idle's become a bit of a punchline in recent years for being the money obsessed Python (and, also I guess, for not writing Fawlty Towers, not directing Brazil, not being everyone's favourite Pole To Poler, not dying or not developing dementia) but there will forever be an argument for him being the best Python for that live performance.

he's a fine songwriter though. I was cross with him for elbowing ollie halsall out of an on-screen role in 'all you need is cash', but many years later I was at the 12-bar in denmark street, watching nick (son of roy) harper & glen tilbrook do one of idle's songs, & it was utterly brilliant.

Autopsy Turvey

I also suspect that some of the most flagrant illogic in Python was written to wind up Cleese. I always wondered if he wrote the Logician talk on the Grail LP or if it was written for him, and if so by who? m?

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 24, 2019, 08:46:15 PM
Idle's become a bit of a punchline in recent years for being the money obsessed Python

It's a punchline he's happily written for himself over the years, not unconnected to the fact that he came from the poorest background.

Quote from: the science eel on June 24, 2019, 09:12:24 PM
This is a very fine post.

This makes a nice change! Ta!

ajsmith2

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 24, 2019, 09:46:54 PM
he's a fine songwriter though. I was cross with him for elbow owing ollie halsall out of an on-screen role in 'all you need is cash', but many years later I was at the 12-bar in denmark street, watching nick (son of roy) harper & glen tilbrook do one of idle's songs, & it was utterly brilliant.

Which song, out of interest?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on June 24, 2019, 07:35:04 PMSee I always thought of these logical inconsistencies as a key part of Python's style. The fact that they choose to list two Spam-free meals, and then have the waitress react with disgust at the idea of a Spam-free meal, adds to the humour for me, I love a bit of pedant-baiting illogic.

Well yes, it has occurred to me in the past that it may well have been deliberate for the reasons you suggest, which is why I've never been boring, tedious, uninteresting, monotonous, flatulent, flat-headed, cloth-eared, swivel-eyed, fornicating little git-like enough to bring it up before, but...

...I dunno.  Deliberate or not, it does just rankle. :-)

neveragain

Not that it affects the sketch at all but... in the Meaning Of Life, do we think Cleese's Maitre-d' intends to blow up Mr Creosote? I've gone back and forth on it. Obviously he is putting off customers but at the same time he seems to be a regular customer and spends a lot of money.

Ambient Sheep

Oh clearly he does.  The mischievous grin on his face as he persuades him, and the way he runs for cover (when previously he'd just said "another bucket for Monsieur" and ambled away, IIRC) indicates to me that he knew full well what was going to happen.

Twed

Yeah, his perverse curiosity and confidence in what will happen after eating the mint (confirmed by his running away) is what makes the sketch for me.