Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:20:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Banana Splits Movie (with extra red syrup)

Started by St_Eddie, June 14, 2019, 11:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

QUESTION: You're a Hollywood executive and you want to cash in on the success of the popular Five Nights at Freddy's videogame franchise but you don't hold the rights and a different studio is producing a movie adaptation of said property, what ever will you do?  Do you...

A/ Produce an original horror film and become a trend setter, instead of a follower of trends.

B/ Consider your options, as you burn your casting coach to get rid of the DNA evidence.

C/ Snort some cocaine, buy up the rights to an oft-forgotten children's show from the 60's and then turn it into a terrible straight-to-home-entertainment knockoff of Five Night's at Freddy's.

If you answered 'C', then you may yet be able to forge a career for yourself in La La Land.

Sin Agog

Don't you mean La la la lala la la la la la la lala land?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 14, 2019, 11:07:23 PM
Don't you mean La la la lala la la la la la la lala land?

+1/-0 karma for this message

chveik

please rename the thread. I was brought here under false pretenses.

mothman

There are certain facts I cannot retain in my brain. The plot of The Ipcress File (the book). Which of my friend Nick's sisters is which. And the names of the Banana Splits.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mothman on June 15, 2019, 02:06:08 PM
There are certain facts I cannot retain in my brain. The plot of The Ipcress File (the book). Which of my friend Nick's sisters is which. And the names of the Banana Splits.

Doofus, Pungle, Chorby and Ted

mothman

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

mothman

It's like, poof, and I've forgotten. Look, I've lived with this condition for 45 years, there's nothing to be done.

Dex Sawash

madhair60

SteveDave

They've not even got the actual costumes. They're all slightly off as though they've been created from memory.

gilbertharding

Immediately spotted that the elephant looking one (Snork, it says here) was wrong. Watching more of the trailer than I ought to have, seems that the faces have acquired a faintly evil look - perhaps they're SUPPOSED to be wrong.

Let's face it, all ANYONE wants from the Banana Splits is the theme music, a minute or two of slapstick and mucking about with their little buggies, and then to Switch Off Your TV Set and Go and Do Something Less Boring Instead (as we used to say).

mothman

This reminded me of something. I assumed it'd be a film, and I was wracking my brains - but then I got it. The recent MoneySupermarket advert with the Action Men.

Because... who is this fim for? Who wants yet another slasher film, where the twist this time is it's beloved children's characters of yesteryear? Because that's where this film is coming from, and the Banana Splits - who, to go along with what gilb says, were just this bunch of nobody actors doing rubbish slapstick in between a few cartoon shows - were probably the only property they could afford or get the rights for.

I guess I've answered my question - it's another slasher movie made for a pittance that'll make a few million bucks for its probably well-mobbed-up backers. Most of the audience will have no emotional connection to the Banana Splits, and those of us who do (even if we can't remember their names) will likely just be not arsed, or at most a bit offended. It just feels like yet another instance of the younger generation sneering at the pop culture of their elders because it was so unsophisticated and we were obviously too thick to spot the subtext that is so plain to them.

And you see it all the time. OF COURSE the Banana Splits were actually demonic axe murderers! And Action Man was, when you REALLY think about it, totally gay! And, hey, that homeless lady in that Christmas movie looks a bit like Piers Morgan! Let's all Tweet and Insta and Snapchat about it! Epic LOLZ!

Real shame this. It'll kill the IP dead for a generation when the smart money was actually in bringing them back for a proper kids show or movie. The Cartoon Network audience of today loves lolrandom shit. They'd have lapped up the Banana Splits.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 17, 2019, 05:03:53 PM
Real shame this. It'll kill the IP dead for a generation when the smart money was actually in bringing them back for a proper kids show or movie. The Cartoon Network audience of today loves lolrandom shit. They'd have lapped up the Banana Splits.

At least they could still do a faithful reboot of The Skatebirds-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt16rdtD6DU

idunnosomename

gilbertharding

Quote from: mothman on June 17, 2019, 04:50:46 PM
And you see it all the time. OF COURSE the Banana Splits were actually demonic axe murderers! And Action Man was, when you REALLY think about it, totally gay! And, hey, that homeless lady in that Christmas movie looks a bit like Piers Morgan! Let's all Tweet and Insta and Snapchat about it! Epic LOLZ!

Is this the same thing as the Dickies punk rock cover version of the (brilliant, btw) theme tune? I mean, re-purposing and subverting old pop culture is definitely nothing new. I guess it depends on how well or badly it's done - and that's subjective, isn't it?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 17, 2019, 05:26:02 PM
Is this the same thing as the Dickies punk rock cover version of the (brilliant, btw) theme tune? I mean, re-purposing and subverting old pop culture is definitely nothing new. I guess it depends on how well or badly it's done - and that's subjective, isn't it?

I'd say what Mothman is talking about is more like those 'I Love 19__' talking head shows from the early 2000s, where a few comedians / TV personalities would riff on how every kid's show from their youth must have been dreamt up by people on drugs, or had drug references in it, or had character names that were actually rude puns not suitable for children, and so on.  So yeah, not new but not good or interesting either.

Catalogue Trousers

The more edgelord/grimdark individuals on my FB friends list are already raving about what an awesome idea it is. I do not concur.

It's really just 'lol, they were all on drugs/sex fiends' but with added gore, isn't it?

Phil_A

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 17, 2019, 05:26:02 PM

Not in the least the same. The Dickies cover was presumably done with some affection for the original series, as they would've been the right age to've watched it as kids.

Moreover, punk and garage bands doing dumb thrashy covers of old kids TV themes is a time-honoured tradition, it has nothing to do with the kind of hideously cynical rebranding/repackaging exercise that led to something like this film.

mothman

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 17, 2019, 06:37:28 PM
I'd say what Mothman is talking about is more like those 'I Love 19__' talking head shows from the early 2000s, where a few comedians / TV personalities would riff on how every kid's show from their youth must have been dreamt up by people on drugs, or had drug references in it, or had character names that were actually rude puns not suitable for children, and so on.  So yeah, not new but not good or interesting either.

Basically, yes. There's no fondness on display here, there's no nostalgia for the property. It's a cheap laugh for modern jaded audiences at the expense of something created in a less sophisticated time. I don't expect everyone to agree, maybe it is a rather daft show that deserves satirising and subverting. But if anyone tells you, "Oh, yeah, mate, those Banana Splits, we used to get high and watch them and imagine they were really demonic monsters who torture and murder their fans" then, well, they're probably lying.

(which has now got me wondering, have people always been cynical and mocking about the entertainment of their youth - well, since modern mass entertainment started, anyway - or is that a new thing, and when did it start? Probably the earliest I can remember were the jokes, possibly in the 1980s, about Captain Pugwash and Seaman Staines and Roger The Cabin Boy... But this may be a topic for another thread)

Jumblegraws

The decision to give it the ironically conventional title of The Banana Splits Movie is the most praiseworthy idea on display here, in much the same way as (spoiler alert) "Nilbog! It's goblin spelled backwards!" was the cleverest part of Troll 2. Maybe there's some incredibly clever and/or amusing subversions specific to the source material that elevate it above an extended Robot Chicken sketch, but somehow I doubt it.

Quote from: Phil_A on June 17, 2019, 07:11:31 PM
Moreover, punk and garage bands doing dumb thrashy covers of old kids TV themes is a time-honoured tradition, it has nothing to do with the kind of hideously cynical rebranding/repackaging exercise that led to something like this film.

Shoutout to Vaginal Croutons: https://youtu.be/u4iOR1CmUmA

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: mothman on June 17, 2019, 04:50:46 PM
It just feels like yet another instance of the younger generation sneering at the pop culture of their elders because it was so unsophisticated and we were obviously too thick to spot the subtext that is so plain to them.

Take comfort from the fact that sneeringly irony-drenched millennials who think they're really witty and clever are the most boring people on Earth.

kidsick5000

Makes me sad.
There have been run of DC/Hanna Barbera comics where they adult up the characters and it just feels grim and joyless
This is film feels like more of that.

If anything, the premise feels off anyway. Who was freaked out by the Banana Splits.
Animal Kwackers is the group to shit you up.

mothman

I'd imagine their lawyers had a thing or two to say to CBeebies' Zingzillas.

St_Eddie

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 17, 2019, 05:10:06 PM
why would the banana splits even be robots

As I previously mentioned, this is a knock-off Five Nights at Freddy's.  The company behind this would have rushed it into production when the official Five Nights at Freddy's movie adaptation was announced, to try and coincide with its release (in the style of The Asylum).  Unfortunately for them (though fortunately for us), the official movie has been delayed and may not even see a release, given how the Five Nights at Freddy's fad is dying out.  These jokers have backed the wrong horse.

Anyway, I digress.  The reason that The Banana Splits are robots in this movie is because the anthropomorphic animals in Five Nights at Freddy's are robots.  Much like the Hollywood producers behind this farce, it really is that simple.

Quote from: Phil_A on June 17, 2019, 07:11:31 PM
Not in the least the same. The Dickies cover was presumably done with some affection for the original series, as they would've been the right age to've watched it as kids.

Spot on, mate.

idunnosomename

Yeah I've never heard of the video game (immmm AN OLD MAN) but the idea seems to be Chuck-E-Cheese animatronics running amok and the Banana Splits kind of look like them and oh my god the trailer is awful shit with no idea what tone it's going for because there's no actual gore or drama and it looks utterly awful

popcorn

Never heard of these banana pricks before so the full impact of the trailer was lost on me.

Mister Six

Quote from: kidsick5000 on June 17, 2019, 08:52:35 PM
Makes me sad.
There have been run of DC/Hanna Barbera comics where they adult up the characters and it just feels grim and joyless
This is film feels like more of that.

If anything, the premise feels off anyway. Who was freaked out by the Banana Splits.
Animal Kwackers is the group to shit you up.

Why do they all look like furry versions of the dad from The Wild Thornberries?