Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:25:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Slang words and phrases from your youth

Started by gib, June 15, 2019, 12:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gib

Hoss - to go really fast. Example: I was really hossing it.

Sussing someone out - 1) to get the better of someone. Example: Ha! Sussed!

2) to have one's suspicions confirmed. Example: Yes we had him sussed out right from the start. This secondary meaning lives on but do any other subscribers remember using the primary definition? I'll be honest, I never really understood it at the time.

Do any of you still occasionally have to really hoss it one? Please post the first thing that springs to mind.

Rank.

That's rank.

As in, that's good, but also sometimes that's bad depending.

Lickies.

Whilst doing that finger clicking thing that Ali g does

touchingcloth

"Shame". If someone was low status and/or did something silly, everyone would wave one hand in a manner similar to Ali G doing the finger snap thing but over and over again and with no snaps. Shaame. Shaaaaaame. Shaaaaaaame. Ahhhhhhh, shaaaaame.

"Bust", to mean "give". Bust us a quid. Bust us one of them Rolos. Bust us a rubber, left mine at home. Bust us a chuddy.

"Chuddy", for chewing gum.

"Snide", for unfair. "I only spat a bit of chuddy out and I got detention. Pure snide."

"Left-handed", and "Swiss". I don't know where these came from, but one year people started calling things and people they didn't like by these names. "X Factor? Nah, mate, it's well left-handed, that, Simon Cowell is proper Swiss."

"Ox bow lake". We couldn't move for these in school, but I've never in my adult life heard someone say "look - an ox bow lake", or "I'll probably go to the ox bow lake today", or "do you have directions to the ox bow lake?"

"Cress."

Lappish - a good looking girl. "have you seen the woman on the Barbarian poster in the Games Store? She's lappish". This later got extended to lappeeesh for better looking girls.

Geed - something of excellent quality. "have you seen the graphics on Barbarian? They are geed" This later got extended to Geedi for higher quality items

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 15, 2019, 10:45:01 AM
"Ox bow lake". We couldn't move for these in school, but I've never in my adult life heard someone say "look - an ox bow lake", or "I'll probably go to the ox bow lake today", or "do you have directions to the ox bow lake?"

Me and a mate observed this, so when I was driving with him in Scotland I pulled over as we both clocked it and jumped out and looked at it. No discussion, it was accepted by both of us we were stopping.

bgmnts

Wendy meant a special kid in Caldicot but not round my way, which is weird.

Butchers Blind

Malt - a term for a girl as in "Get yer hands off me malt"

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Bingo Fury

"Keep shottie" - keep a lookout

"Shottie!" - someone's coming

wooders1978

I do recall that "chavs" were originally known as "charvers" but that might have been just my home town

Cold Meat Platter

Icehaven

When my cousin and I were vandalising my Uncle's newspaper before he read it we always used to write SLAP or, if there was room, SLAPHEAD on any photos of bald or balding men.

Tikwid

Quote from: Special K on June 15, 2019, 10:52:03 AM
Lappish - a good looking girl
Sean Connery's Steven Universe Opinion [/The Day Today horse names]

Mark Steels Stockbroker

You don't really hear pillock any more
Or wazzock.
Bob Monkhouse killed wally.
Dickhead seems to have gone flaccid, maybe Jasper Carrott is to blame.

Howj Begg

A colleague said wicked to me recently, and I got very nostalgic.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: icehaven on June 15, 2019, 08:00:11 PM
When my cousin and I were vandalising my Uncle's newspaper before he read it we always used to write SLAP or, if there was room, SLAPHEAD on any photos of bald or balding men.

Me and my mate tried to make it a quantitative science. "That's a .9... that's an .85 slap..."

checkoutgirl

Cat. Meaning bad or of poor quality. "That film was cat".

Waldo. Meaning an incompetent boob or silly person. "Shut up you big Waldo".

Spahole. Meaning an annoying person. "Ye fuckin' spahole".

Spa. See above.

Smart. Meaning sly, devious, deceitful. "I don't trust that lad, he's a smart bastard".

king_tubby

Steg. Stegga. Steg-o-saurus.

An unkempt or smelly child. One who picked food from the floor and ate it.

Derived from Stig, the titular character from Stig of the Dump.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Bingo Fury on June 15, 2019, 06:39:53 PM
"Keep shottie" - keep a lookout

"Shottie!" - someone's coming

To instruct someone to keep a lookout we'd say "Keep dick".

"Sketch" meant someone's coming.

shiftwork2

Regional context needed surely.  Sort it out you Rodney plonkers.

70s / 80s Merseyside -

Sag: to play truant.
Tish: to break a window.  Quite pleasing isn't it?

Gulftastic

'Skit' a harsher version of 'oh, what terrible luck '

Playing truant was called 'knocking off'.

'Shaaame' to highlight someone's embarrassment. Coupled with pretending to warm your hands on their red face.

mothman

At prep school, the marmalade we had with breakfast was called "College," short for "College Muck." Seriously.