Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jiminy Glick

Started by Suki Bapswent, June 15, 2019, 06:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suki Bapswent

Any other fans of Jiminy Glick here? I only discovered him quite recently, and I've been laughing so much! Short seems to have the attack/self-deprecation perfectly balanced, and even though most people are in on the joke, the laughter is genuine.

Compilation of 'best bits': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwRg5PiovHQ&t

St_Eddie

Jiminy Glick's a great character and Martin Short is fantastic in the role; really quick witted, with a lot of character and background detail stored in his memory.

There's already an old Jiminy Glick thread here by the way.

Suki Bapswent

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 15, 2019, 06:36:53 PM
There's already an old Jiminy Glick thread here by the way.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Suki Bapswent on June 15, 2019, 07:05:47 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise.

No apology necessary, I just felt that it was worth pointing out, should you care to read through the old thread.

Shaky

Aye, Glick is brilliant. Until a few years ago, I'd rather stupidly thought of Short as a really good comic actor and little more but he's incredibly smart and witty off the cuff.

"What's your beef with the Nazis?" always floors me.

hermitical

Quote from: Suki Bapswent on June 15, 2019, 06:20:30 PM
Any other fans of Jiminy Glick here?

I'm only aware of him because of your post in the Last thing.... thread, so thank you - loved that compilation of clips!

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Shaky on June 16, 2019, 01:51:20 AM
Aye, Glick is brilliant. Until a few years ago, I'd rather stupidly thought of Short as a really good comic actor and little more but he's incredibly smart and witty off the cuff.

"What's your beef with the Nazis?" always floors me.

I loved Mel Brooks' response to that too: "Oh, I don't know. I think they're rude"

As stated in the previous thread, his doughnuts bit with Jon Stewart kills me https://youtu.be/2ITBcAk9zkw?t=200

Keebleman

Was watching the clip video and when Anderson Cooper mentioned that his mother was Gloria Vanderbilt I went to her Wikipedia page and found out that she had died today!!!!

Spooky coincidence!

(Well, just a coincidence really.  No need to add the qualifier 'spooky'.)

Phil_A

Quote from: Suki Bapswent on June 15, 2019, 06:20:30 PM
Any other fans of Jiminy Glick here? I only discovered him quite recently, and I've been laughing so much! Short seems to have the attack/self-deprecation perfectly balanced, and even though most people are in on the joke, the laughter is genuine.

Compilation of 'best bits': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwRg5PiovHQ&t

That is absolutely brilliant, the Stewart bit is a particular highlight. Wonderful.

It's interesting that both Gervais and Seinfeld both try to take control of the interview and turn it back on him. Seinfeld can definitely hold his own, but Gervais flounders as he's hardly the sharp improviser he thinks he is, and certainly not when sat opposite Martin Short. Like in that notorious roundtable with Chris Rock and co, he wants it to appear they're on the same level but that is definitely not the case.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Phil_A on June 18, 2019, 08:22:42 AM
That is absolutely brilliant, the Stewart bit is a particular highlight. Wonderful.

It's interesting that both Gervais and Seinfeld both try to take control of the interview and turn it back on him. Seinfeld can definitely hold his own, but Gervais flounders as he's hardly the sharp improviser he thinks he is, and certainly not when sat opposite Martin Short. Like in that notorious roundtable with Chris Rock and co, he wants it to appear they're on the same level but that is definitely not the case.

They don't seem much different to me. Both make lame attempts to mock the appearance of a character designed intentionally to look silly. The only difference is Seinfeld seems to have his people in the room giggling at everything he says.

Puce Moment

I was having a shit earlier and decided to start a thread about this character so I'm delighted someone else did. I have been loving Jiminy Glick videos for the last week or so. I'm not sure how it came onto my radar other than some Youtube algorithm decided I would like it. And I do. The interview with Julia Louis-Dreyfus is wonderful, and the Billy Crystal interview is hilarious. But the Larry David one is fucking great. His first mention of 'Jew' is so sweetly timed. I have to say that I am rather neutral about Martin Short, often he quite annoys me, but this character is fucking brilliantly realised and executed.

I find the Seinfeld and Gervais interviews less funny because, as noted above, they seem to be using it as a good opportunity to be amusing and punch down on the character, which doesn't work. The Gervais one in particular doesn't quite work, but it does lead to Glick delivering the line about whether he has seen his own balls recently (which is a shit lead-in from the Rickster). He replies
"no, but word gets back from those that have." Brilliant

The doughnut eating is fucking great and maniacal. When he commits it's brilliant.

Also, I love that he has three very different vocal registers that Short cycles through in different situations, usually in a nonsensical and unexpected way.