Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 729
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:36:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fear The Walking Dead Season 5 (Fun Zombie programme)

Started by robotam, June 16, 2019, 03:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robotam

This series is back and the wildly fluctuating tone is currently somewhere around silly and fun. This season starts with a plane crash and it turns out SPOILERS FOR FIRST WEE BIT: Our heroes decided to try and fly a plane to rescue someone on the other side of a mountain, because they are so desperate to help someone as their plan to go around making the world a better place has so far saved 0 lives.

There also appear to be a couple of new factions and enemies emerging that might be quite interesting for half a season, which is how long it usually takes in this show to sort out any major plotlines.

Puce Moment

Wow, this has become a right load of old billitch.

This week's episode with the Western theme and the splitting of the bullet was a real low point.

purlieu

Crikey, these two posts are hilarious. I'm a fan of The Walking Dead, for all its faults, but I started this and gave up midway through season 3 when I realised that I barely knew who any of the characters were. Just actors reeling off lines and doing whatever the plot demanded rather than having any consistency (Strand being the absolute nadir of that). The first season had some potential, but it was totally lost once they reached Mexico a few episodes later.

bgmnts

Why can't Americans just finish things? Other than world war 2 is there anything they haven't prolonged further than acceptable?

purlieu

Good news: another Walking Dead spinoff is in the works!

robotam

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 29, 2019, 05:54:14 PM
Wow, this has become a right load of old billitch.

This week's episode with the Western theme and the splitting of the bullet was a real low point.
No, that was funny.

I mean, it is a bunch of nonsense. I think  Alicia might still be using that broken of piece of a machine gun as her melee weapon. Also stupid was the reveal that the group blocking of paths with zombies tied up by their intestines was a bunch of wee kids in hockey outfits.

At least it's not as dull as the normal show and the cat is cute

robotam

in this week's episode they fly a hot air balloon that's in the shape of a giant beer bottle

Puce Moment

Quote from: robotam on July 08, 2019, 11:35:08 PMin this week's episode they fly a hot air balloon that's in the shape of a giant beer bottle

They really went all-in with the beer thing didn't they? A bit like they went all-in with having a character who is a compulsive journalist for no reason at all.

Must be some resentful and awkwardly quiet silences in the writers' room sometimes.

robotam

Yeah. In season 4 didn't they all have to drink beer to save them from antifreeze poisoning?

That's not quite fair about Al. In the twohander episode with that woman from the other community she learned that (at least on this one occasion) some things are bigger than getting a scoop or something. But yeah, none of the characters really have any dimension to them.

Of course, I will keep watching this dumb, terrible, (great?) zombie programme

Puce Moment

The Nuclear Reactor and it's victims was a great idea - but just so appallingly executed. Quite timely too!

robotam

I agree with that. It even had potential to make the zombies a threat again because you couldn't just dander up and bash their skulls in.

This has started back after a midseason break. The first one was their The Office episode. It also did that thing it does all the time where it plays all hopeful music and the characters go "when we work together we can save the world. I reckon everything's going to be alright." But then it cuts to a lurking threat and you realise that things aren't going to be quite so easy!

Bently Sheds

Grace: Radioactive zombie blood is DANGEROUS! DO NOT get any on you. You will die!
Alicia: Oh no. I am covered in blood and guts from a radioactive zombie!!! I am going to die!
Grace: Nah, you're fine.
Everyone: Hooray!!!

Malcy

Anyone else reckon that Morgan won't be a part of the first half of the next series in order to give him time to film stuff for the Rick film?

Really up and down series. Felt like it was turning into TWD too much. Can't stand the new villian. Pain in the arse.

Yep, this has been very much turning towards a closer format to TWD i feel too. I watch it still every Monday but yeah am like meh more now, like the TWD. Max Headroom's character was trying to be something else but now we are back to a Negan/Governor type again. I guess these sorts will be prevalent alright in a real zombie apocalypse but it just feels a bit shit and lazy for me now.

Bently Sheds

So Max Headroom smashes his way into the good guys' oil refinery/child labour camp and, when faced down by our heroes and their guns, says "Best not to fire guns around here" alluding to the explosive gas hanging around the place which could get ignited by a spark from a firing gun.

Then he proceeds to HOLD OUR HEROES AT GUNPOINT and our heroes just dumbly go along with it, even though firing guns in an explosive environment is a definite no-no.

This is what fucks me off about this show, the willful disregarding of logic and in-show lore for the sake of drama and story.

Earlier in the series Morgan and His Helping Friends were trapped in a hospital by an enormous herd of about 15 walkers and ther was NOE WAYY OWTT!!! Too many walkers to fight off, there were. At no point did anyone say "Hang on, mind that time that Zombie Junkie Jesus covered himself in walker guts and just walked miles in a massive herd of walkers cuz they couldn't smell him? Remember all them other times at least one of us saw how that tactic worked successfully? We could just do that and escape this zombie hospital!!" No, the arsehole beer guy had to do some redemption arc in order for them all to escape and Learn An Important Lesson About Friends and Helping and Redemption And Shit.

Fuck. I fucking hate this show and I hate myself for being sucked into watching the thing again every fucking time I make a promise to myself that I will quit it because it is fucking shit.

Imagine if Fear the Walking Dead was written by Breaking Bad's Vince Gilligan or The Wire's David Simon. Imagine how fucking incredible a zombie series would be if it was created and run by someone who understands characters and plot consistency and world building. I would watch the shit out of a show like that. Instead I'm stuck watching someone paint fucking trees in a zombie apocalypse.

Puce Moment

Thank you for saving me the time of typing out much the same post. This really has absolutely collapsed under the weight of its own shit. I found myself starting to skip through the monologue scenes. I shit you not, I got through episode 15 in 6mins.

I'm OOOT!

Bently Sheds

Mrs Sheds & I decided to finish the whole series last night & started on the Morgan & Al episode. After about half an hour of the two of them just talking bollocks at each other we gave up. We're not going to bother with the remaining episodes. Enough is enough.

Puce Moment

Yep, I think if we all make a stand we can do this. Let's stop watching TWD or FTWD and move on. Perhaps we can help each other to not watch it.

Bently Sheds

Well, I'm planning to give the next series of TWD a chance. Even though it has those ridiculous Whisperers it still has a chance of being half decent.

But Fear? Nah. Unless they sack the writers and show runners and make the last two series a dream that Nick had as he was floating away from the exploded dam at the end of series 3, I am not bothering.

Puce Moment

That Whisperers trailer running for TWD has put me off massively. I can smell the elongated scenes of talking and moralising coming from a mile away like a rotting zombie in the mid-day sun. It would be nice to get a fan edit with all that removed and uploaded at the end of the season. Could make for a nice, tight 80mins TV film.

Malcy

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 06, 2019, 04:46:36 PM
That Whisperers trailer running for TWD has put me off massively. I can smell the elongated scenes of talking and moralising coming from a mile away like a rotting zombie in the mid-day sun. It would be nice to get a fan edit with all that removed and uploaded at the end of the season. Could make for a nice, tight 80mins TV film.

Only way I'd watch it. Will stick with Fear in the hope it picks up again. Half a series regrouping followed by the other half setting off somewhere far away would suit me.

robotam

Didn't like that everyone was broken into so many groups at the end of the season. Next one is going to start with an episode each and they won't even decide to start an uprising until the next mid-season break.
They should come up with a season arc and then try and shove that into three episodes max. Leave no time for long dialogue scenes. they can't do it.
I like the opening titles having an image that relates to the episode, but surely making it be a hint for the rest of the episode would be more interesting than having a guy find some horses and then cutting to a title card with a neighing horse

Bently Sheds

The opening titles of Fear should be a gigantic arse with an AMC tattoo curling off a massive turd onto the heads of the watching public forever.

Malcy

Amazon Prime have got the UK rights to show the still untitled 3rd spin-off.

Trailer from NYCC

https://youtube.com/watch?v=eIBgEfwPLDQ

Bad Ambassador

BUMP

Season 2 starts on E4 tonight... at 2am. Contractual obligation ahoy!