Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:51:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Day 1 of my new diet.

Started by Fry, June 17, 2019, 06:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

It's 2:25 pm here and I'm on about 700 calories for the day so far, how long till I'm buff as fuck again. I wanna be a right little fitty no tits, can't be arsed waiting I already miss pringles and twix.

Inspector Norse

Just try looking at this whenever you feel like snacking and you'll drop two cummerbund sizes by the end of the week.

kittens

i dieted for two weeks and didn't drink for 3 but i got pissed on saturday and had half a pizza and a pitta bread full of crisps and cheese yesterday. i'm at the stage where my fat is all soft and ready to melt off, hope i didn't harden it up again.

Pijlstaart

Reckon some people are meant to be fat, there'd have to be some, for balance. Love to chomp down on fatman's apron pannus and thrash about with it. Love to roll fatman down fatmen hill. Kissing, clawing, spluttering against them, spelunking through their great thick folds, only at the hidden source of their lifegiving vinegary rills can we celebrate pushkaram and find salvation.

Paul Calf

1400 calories a day since 14th February.

Walking an average of 10 miles a day.

4st. 7lbs / 28 kilos lost. But by fuck do I want one of those Subway cheesy garlic bread thingies.

imitationleather

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 17, 2019, 09:49:20 AM

4st. 7lbs / 28 kilos lost. But by fuck do I want one of those Subway cheesy garlic bread thingies.

You've lost 4st 7lbs in four months? Are you certain it isn't AIDS?

DrGreggles

Nice one.
Cutting anything foods out, or just calorie counting?

Paul Calf

Quote from: imitationleather on June 17, 2019, 09:51:01 AM
You've lost 4st 7lbs in four months? Are you certain it isn't AIDS?

Perhaps it is, but 4 1/2 stone? Cigs.

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 17, 2019, 09:53:12 AM
Nice one.
Cutting anything foods out, or just calorie counting?

Just calorie and step counting using an iOS app. I can't deny myself anything because I know I'll just cave in to it. I'm eating a lot less meat, and almost no processed meat though.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Pijlstaart on June 17, 2019, 09:38:34 AM
Reckon some people are meant to be fat, there'd have to be some, for balance. Love to chomp down on fatman's apron pannus and thrash about with it. Love to roll fatman down fatmen hill. Kissing, clawing, spluttering against them, spelunking through their great thick folds, only at the hidden source of their lifegiving vinegary rills can we celebrate pushkaram and find salvation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD5BUyuwxBs

Barry Admin

Well done, that's fucking amazing!

What are you doing while you walk? Listening to podcasts and stuff? I have to once again recommend Ingress, although it's touch and go regards activity wherever you are, given that it's a 6 year old augmented reality game. I could send you an invite which should allow you to use the old faithful scanner, rather than the new shittier one. That would also recruit you to the (blue) Resistance, and put you against the toads (the green Enlightened.) (edit: or maybe you still get to choose... I dunno, but RES could always use another smurf.)

Anyway yeah, it's brilliant and strategic and has a nice steep learning curve. It also gives you a lot to do as you walk. I've done my 2500km badge, so that's 1553 miles walked since last July just playing Ingress. It also got me out on my bike again, although it doesn't clock those miles. But occasionally cycling down to places at 3 in the morning to cover the whole of Belfast for an op was amazing. You'll discover many places you never knew existed, and if you have a car, it'll not be long before you start putting up BIG fields and layers.

I've went off on one here, but Ingress has gotta be the best game I've ever played in my life, I think. This past weekend was incredible.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Is anyone else saying this thread's title in the voice of the Geordie bloke who used to make the announcements on "Big Brother" ?

shiftwork2

I've been doing a lot of walking too.  There's a lot of step chat occurring which I don't remember 5 years ago.  On a makeshift kind of diet since late April and have shed (I like that phrase, as if you could just do a wet dog shake and lose weight) 16 lbs with another 12 or so to go.  Feels good, fits with spring/ summer although I am absolutely gagging for a lovely cheeseburger.

Edit: and to answer Barry, yes podcasts as I recently came very late to Chart Music and there's no shortage of that.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 17, 2019, 10:51:48 AM
Well done, that's fucking amazing!

What are you doing while you walk? Listening to podcasts and stuff? I have to once again recommend Ingress, although it's touch and go regards activity wherever you are, given that it's a 6 year old augmented reality game. I could send you an invite which should allow you to use the old faithful scanner, rather than the new shittier one. That would also recruit you to the (blue) Resistance, and put you against the toads (the green Enlightened.) (edit: or maybe you still get to choose... I dunno, but RES could always use another smurf.)

Anyway yeah, it's brilliant and strategic and has a nice steep learning curve. It also gives you a lot to do as you walk. I've done my 2500km badge, so that's 1553 miles walked since last July just playing Ingress. It also got me out on my bike again, although it doesn't clock those miles. But occasionally cycling down to places at 3 in the morning to cover the whole of Belfast for an op was amazing. You'll discover many places you never knew existed, and if you have a car, it'll not be long before you start putting up BIG fields and layers.

I've went off on one here, but Ingress has gotta be the best game I've ever played in my life, I think. This past weekend was incredible.

I generally listen to audiobooks as I walk. I've got into data manipulation with R, Python and Orange too so the idea that I'm generating loads of lovely data to play with later is quite satisfying.

I started playing Ingress years ago, but couldn't get into it. Perhaps I'll give it another pop. The infrastructure is what Pokemon Go was based on isn't it?

Buelligan

I tend to meditate on something, usually something I've read, mull it over, twist it about. 

The other night I got in, having walked, pretty exhausted after the shift all the long way home, seemingly without a thought in my head.  Opened the door and announced softly to my silent house,
Quote from: Buelligan the other nightFuck people and things
which made me laugh my arse off. 

I love it when I get right to the nub of stuff.

Good luck with becoming fine healthy examples, btw, all.

Twed

I'm with you, although it's 1600 calories a day for me, not 1400. That seems a little low for an adult male, but I guess if you're feeling fine it's fine.

30 minutes of daily exercise bike interval training has worked wonders for me, plus kettlebells a few times per week (never daily when it comes to weights).

Ham Bap

Have lost 2 stone since the end of April. 16.5 Stone now. I'm 6 ft 2 but have always been big.
Stress eating, mainly eating because bored. Horsing the bread and crisps into me 'because'. Just awful nonsensical habits.

Lost a lot of water weight first but it's been steady since then.

Cut out all processed, foods, carbs and sugar. No booze either.
I've just stepped up exercise too, a lot of walking which has been made easier with reduced weight.
Patience is the main thing. I'm gonna keep going until my BMI says im healthy which might be Christmas but so be it.

Instead of sitting at my desk over lunchtime today I went out a walk and did 7000 steps instead.
I'm never going back to the way I was. Made me constantly miserable. Have never felt good about myself.

If you're going into a long term 'diet' or new way of eating take your chest and waist measurements at the beginning. Use those to measure your weight loss along with the scales. Sometimes the scales won't budge for weeks because your body will hold onto water weight. Might make you feel like giving up but at the same time you might have lost inches around your waist/chest etc.

Twed

Quote from: Ham Bap on June 17, 2019, 04:55:49 PMSometimes the scales won't budge for weeks because your body will hold onto water weight. Might make you feel like giving up but at the same time you might have lost inches around your waist/chest etc.
It's amazing how bodies differ. The correlation between the calories I ingest + the exercise I do and my weight is ridiculously predictable. I can pretty much choose a weight to be sometime in the future and come up with a plan that will get my exactly there (which is why it's disappointing when I do things that prevent me from meeting those goals). Other people can do the same things and just meet with frustration, but then they tend to be less prone to binges and social eating than I am.

paruses

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 17, 2019, 03:57:49 PM
I generally listen to audiobooks as I walk. I've got into data manipulation with R, Python and Orange too so the idea that I'm generating loads of lovely data to play with later is quite satisfying.[...]

Sorry if this seems I am deliberately missing the point of this thread but how are you doing that? I am in the same situation of you (although I am not confident enough to understand what Orange is - it really could be a new framework or language these days but I suspect you mean the phone opco in some capacity).

But - I also wander a lot these days to get the exercise and combining the two things or R/Python/Data and being a Thin Man appeal to me.

Twed

I wish I could ingest technical stuff (beyond overviews) by audio only!

Ham Bap

Quote from: Twed on June 17, 2019, 05:05:21 PM
It's amazing how bodies differ. The correlation between the calories I ingest + the exercise I do and my weight is ridiculously predictable. I can pretty much choose a weight to be sometime in the future and come up with a plan that will get my exactly there (which is why it's disappointing when I do things that prevent me from meeting those goals). Other people can do the same things and just meet with frustration, but then they tend to be less prone to binges and social eating than I am.

You're lucky! I've been pretty strict the past week as I'm going on holidays in 6 weeks but the scales haven't moved in a week. Clothes are fitting easier though.
I've had a whoosh before of 3 pounds overnight where my body releases all the water.

Probably shouldn't weigh myself all the time but it can nearly be an obsession.

Twed

Yeah, if your clothes are fitting differently but the scales haven't moved then I think it's safe to say that the scales aren't a good marker for you.

I hate all of this "stalled" discussion around losing weight. Seems to be the gateway to lots of weird advice.

Paul Calf

Quote from: paruses on June 17, 2019, 05:06:06 PM
Sorry if this seems I am deliberately missing the point of this thread but how are you doing that? I am in the same situation of you (although I am not confident enough to understand what Orange is - it really could be a new framework or language these days but I suspect you mean the phone opco in some capacity).

But - I also wander a lot these days to get the exercise and combining the two things or R/Python/Data and being a Thin Man appeal to me.

The simple answer is: download Anaconda (https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/user-guide/getting-started/) and start from there.

EDIT: if you're using an iPhone, you'll also want to install QS Access to extract the data in a usable format

paruses

Thanks Paul.

Also agree completely with Twed's post. I cut out carbs completely for a kick start and weight dropped off then plateaued. Was looking around for a rationale and some hints and quickly realised I was in danger of joining a weird cult by proxy.

Given that I feel lighter and more comfortable in clothes that's enough for me to keep going and I sort of ignore the scales now apart from making sure I'm not conning myself.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 17, 2019, 03:57:49 PM
I started playing Ingress years ago, but couldn't get into it. Perhaps I'll give it another pop. The infrastructure is what Pokemon Go was based on isn't it?

Yeah that's right, it uses the same points of interest, and is similarly based around the idea of capturing and defending areas. The great thing is that the triangles you make can theoretically cover entire continents, so you see some amazing BAF's (big ass fields) at times which have taken much coordination and planning by many, many people. Ahh I just love it.

Danger Man

Not bad for a bloke who started 9 stone

Fry

Day 8, down 1.3 kg, which seems a bit high. I imagine a lot of that is water weight and what not, or my scale is shit. Still I'm wearing the same shirt as last week and it's fitting much better, I can puff out my chest like a kind of weird penguin and the buttons don't strain like they used to!

It's not been that bad to be honest, my diet was so awful that it really was time for a change. For example, my lunch for the last few months was a cajun chicken sandwich from the convenience store, small tube of pringles and a twix. Now it's salad and a hard boiled egg. My breakfast used to be a bacon and cheese english muffin. Now it's a yoghurt, banana and low calorie cereal bar.

Dinners were never a massive issue, I kind of enjoy cooking and I always had a lot of veggies. However, I used to get fried chicken at least once a week (god I love fried chicken) and would treat myself to a burger or something equally bad every weekend. That's all gone. Apart from those indulgences I've been able to keep to my old dinner rotation, just upping the veggies and cutting back on the amount of rice or pasta in each meal. I read somewhere that your plate should be 1/4 meat, 1/4 starch and half vegetables, that's reasonable and been easy enough to stick to.

When it comes to exercising it's been mainly hiking. I live in Korea, a ridiculously mountainous country, so not far from my house there are loads of walking routes that go over mountains. I can get my heart rate up fairly high just by going along those at a decent clip. Maybe when I get closer to my goal weight I'll look into signing up to a gym to build muscle... but I just find gym stuff so boring.

This time next month I'm going to be looking just like kazuya, smile 'n all.

Twed

Is any of this worth it if you're turning into a penguin?

Fry

Penguins fuck, my good man.

Twed

Yeah, but they fuck penguins don't they.

Bazooka

Do you not eat Korean food? I was lean as an 15 year old when I lived there, but time ravages a mans stomach, those mountains certainly helped.