Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:48:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.

Started by bgmnts, June 17, 2019, 07:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 20, 2019, 08:50:57 PM
Your instincts are correct. Absolutely rubbish game

Cheers Bosto, downloading now... ;)

biggytitbo

Poor Senua's arm is almost totally rotten now and she's stuck in the dark!

Is the rotten arm thing for real or is it just a fun conceit?

falafel

Thursday

I think back on this game and I've no idea if it is actually good... I think it's that it went much further on delivering on it's concept than other games that have tried the whole "exploring mental illness" thing... it did have some very powerful moments... but it still mostly felt like I was playing another video game.

And seriously why did they have to call it "Hellblade!" I know the same devs did Heavenly Sword, that just makes it worse. fucking video games man.

Blue Jam

Just played a bit of this. Bosto, for once I think you and I are on the same page about a game...

biggytitbo

I played this through recently and had mixed feelings. The environmental puzzles, setting and atmosphere are great, the combat is middling and repetitive. I'd also say the kind of relentlessly oppressive tone of it gets a bit too much towards the end. Poor old Senua, who is a really sympathetic character, really gets put through the wringer and it gets a bit grueling to play through.

Blue Jam

It looks great, it sounds great and the concept is great, but the gameplay is boring as bollocks...

Great to hear you're coming round. You just need to get into shmups and abandon every other game and you'll have ascended to, err, nob tier.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sequel.

The tone seems to be a bit more in your face than the first game. It looks like Senua is preparing for war or something.

It's exclusive, to the next gen Xbox and shithot gaming PCs, I don't know if that's a permanent arrangement or just for a set period but, either way, I probably shan't be playing it for some time yet. I must say I'm a bit surprised - I know the first game sold respectably, but I wasn't expecting a follow up, much less one that seems positioned as some sort of system seller.

Non Stop Dancer

Those graphics are absolutely fucking insane. I know it's cut scenes but still.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It could possibly be in-engine. Many was the time I turned on the photo mode in the first game, just to check it wasn't pre-rendered.

Edit: According to the title of the video, which I could easily have looked at before, it is indeed in-engine footage. There seems to be some quibbling in the comments over whether it's real time or pre-rendered, though.

wooders1978

Xbox and pc exclusive - "ace" news :(

Microsoft acquired the studio so it's no coming to Cunto. Might be on the Switch though because MS are always blowin Miyagi's ghost.

Moribunderast

Loved the first game and would be hyped for the second but I've never owned an XBox and after the hash they made of the XBox-One I won't be buying their new system just for this. Maybe after a few years if they have a good game library. Will be interested to see what market/s this releases for on PC. I assume Windows have their own shitty store and subscription service? I would hope to avoid that.

Happy for the devs, though. They made a ripper game and seem to have been given freedom to try and replicate the process. I hope it's great again.