Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:50:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

C64 mate

Started by madhair60, June 17, 2019, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Uncle TechTip on June 18, 2019, 05:39:33 PM
You could get an SD card interface for an original Speccy? Such things exist, they are seen by the Speccy as a drive just like the Microdrive or a +3. That's convenience on authentic hardware.

I recently got a floppy emulator for a late 80s Akai sampler, it was about £50 with a usb stick, already flashed with the jumpers in the correct place etc. It's fantastic - the equivalent of 1000 floppy discs (which currently retail for about £1)

St_Eddie

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 19, 2019, 11:57:33 AM
Because people always prefer the one they grew up with.  Even when someone pointed out the advantages of the other one, you always thought yours was good and the other one was wank.

Not me.  I grew up with a Megadrive and didn't play any SNES games until I downloaded an emulator around a decade later.  I fully knowledge that the SNES is not just the superior console, technically speaking, but also the console with the more diverse and richer selection of games.

lazarou

One thing I forgot to mention is that there's still some really interesting stuff being released. If you don't mind paying a few quid you can get an astonishingly good port of Luftrauserz for example.

kngen

Quote from: buzby on June 19, 2019, 01:35:14 PMSanxion

Great loading tune. One of Rob Hubbard's finest compositions.

I was one of the few who jumped ship. Got a Spectrum but was sick of seeing (and hearing, too) better games round at my friends' houses (I think it was Way of the Exploding Fist that crushed my Speccy-centric spirit once and for all), so convinced my mum we needed a Commodore 64 'so I can learn to play the piano' - ha, you should have seen the piece of crappy plastic that masqueraded as a piano designed to sit on top of the C64 keyboard. She has since got her own back by treating me like a 24-hour IT troubleshooting hotline for the past 15 or so years since she finally joined the computer age.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 19, 2019, 04:39:34 PM
Not me.  I grew up with a Megadrive and didn't play any SNES games until I downloaded an emulator around a decade later.  I fully knowledge that the SNES is not just the superior console, technically speaking, but also the console with the more diverse and richer selection of games.

If you like RPGs sure I guess

This is worth a thread to be honest, because I contend that there is an equivalent and arguably superior Mega Drive game for every SNES game worth a fuck

(I love both systems)

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on June 19, 2019, 05:21:06 PM
If you like RPGs sure I guess

This is worth a thread to be honest, because I contend that there is an equivalent and arguably superior Mega Drive game for every SNES game worth a fuck

(I love both systems)

I love both systems too.  It's interesting that you mention the lack of RPGs on the Megadrive because that's one of the main reasons that I consider the SNES to have a greater selection of games.  It's telling that I didn't get into RPGs until playing Final Fantasy VII for the PSOne, as the selection on the Megadrive is rather pathetic, relative to the SNES.  That said, I'll forever have a place within the heart for the likes of Sonic the Hedgehog, Streets of Rage 2, Revenge of Shinobi, Road Rash II, Skitchin' and Castle of Illusion.  It's just that when putting nostalgia to one side and weighing up the two systems side-by-side, I have to concede that objectively, in terms of technical ability and variety of games, the SNES was the superior console overall.  Like you say though, they're both great.

madhair60

I tend to find that there is a depth to the SNES library that is admittedly impressive, with something of almost every meaningful genre. That said I find the Mega Drive just so much faster, and slicker, where the SNES is often sluggish. Basically, action games? MD all the way. Thoughtful games? SNES. That's my take anyway.

I used to be a little disdainful of the SNES library until I got my Mini and realised it shipped with 21 of the best games ever made.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on June 19, 2019, 07:33:28 PM
Basically, action games? MD all the way. Thoughtful games? SNES. That's my take anyway.

I completely agree with this.

SNES - Genuine human integrity, soul and imagination.

Mega Drive - Kids who grow up too fast, emotionally neglected, substance abuse problems and a lot of anger.

madhair60

Yeah but Lemmings has more levels on Mega Drive so eat shit.

Also, shmups. You like those. MD has more, better ones. So eat shit.

Edit: Fuck, he's right about the anger.

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 19, 2019, 07:37:24 PM
I completely agree with this.

This is a red letter day.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on June 19, 2019, 08:00:52 PM
Yeah but Lemmings has more levels on Mega Drive so eat shit.

The Megadrive version of Aladdin is also superior to the SNES version and the Megadrive version of Mortal Kombat has all of the blood and gore intact, unlike the SNES version, which removed the game's raison d'être.  There's also plenty of examples where the SNES versions of games were superior to the Megadrive's, mind.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 19, 2019, 08:05:28 PM
The Megadrive version of Aladdin is also superior to the SNES version

Ooh, the dream is dead.

I love Mega Drive Aladdin for about three levels, then as soon as I hit the dungeon I hate it completely, and I'm sorry for that. The collision detection is just mad dodgy on those bricks that slide in and out of the wall. It's absolutely beautiful mind.

SNES Aladdin isn't great or anything but it doesn't have that dungeon level or the wretched fucking cave escape level, so I favour it on that basis and I'm sorry for that.

Phil_A

The SNES version of Captain America & The Avengers isn't nearly as funny as the Megadrive one.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on June 19, 2019, 08:10:00 PM
Ooh, the dream is dead.

I love Mega Drive Aladdin for about three levels, then as soon as I hit the dungeon I hate it completely, and I'm sorry for that. The collision detection is just mad dodgy on those bricks that slide in and out of the wall. It's absolutely beautiful mind.

I agree that the dungeon level sucks and that the lava escape sequence is horribly unfair but the rest of the game is ace, particularly the opening few levels, as you say.  Those opening levels alone trump the SNES version in its entirety by quite some margin.  They're that good.

Quote from: madhair60 on June 19, 2019, 08:10:00 PM
SNES Aladdin isn't great or anything but it doesn't have that dungeon level or the wretched fucking cave escape level, so I favour it on that basis and I'm sorry for that.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that a consistently mediocre game is better than a great game, hampered by a couple of shite levels.  I'll take the diamond in the rough over the slightly spoiled apple every time, so to speak.

madhair60

Entirely reasonable.

I really hate those two levels though.