Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:06:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

cab's favourite Peanuts comic strips

Started by chveik, June 17, 2019, 04:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

chveik

Attila

This sums up just about everything about my life

chveik

chveik

famethrowa

One where Charlie Brown goes into the newsagent, messes up all the papers and magazines and then walks out past the shopkeeper, saying "boy did he glare at me! Guess he's not feeling well or something..." I still use that expression all the time when someone is grumpy looking.

chveik

Absorb the anus burn

wosl

I much prefer the easy-flowing drawing style that Schulz developed later on, but there's no doubt that a lot of the earlier strips are more hard-hitting.  Compared to the later, mellower melancholy, some of the flack Charlie Brown cops from Lucy or from Violet and Patty double-teaming in fifties and early sixties is ouright brutal:

wosl

Rats!  I thought "in the grave" rather than "in grave" might just about make it look authentic!  The original is almost as harsh, mind:

None of the others have been tampered with, by the way.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: wosl on June 20, 2019, 03:16:22 AM
Rats!  I thought "in the grave" rather than "in grave" might just about make it look authentic!  The original is almost as harsh, mind:

None of the others have been tampered with, by the way.

Hee! I *did* do a double take at that frame, I must admit!
Lucy was consistently horrible to Charlie Brown, wasn't she? Not too nice to her own brother, Linus, either. I always wanted the pair of them to get together and kick the shit out of her. It could have been carried out over the course of one of the extra-long Sunday Funnies comic strips.I would have liked that.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: wosl on June 19, 2019, 06:39:18 PM
Fucking hell it's so good. I love how Lucy's feet move faster and faster as she goads him, and the frames get busier as the others come to watch. Then you have the big wide frame where he walks away. Perfect timing.

gilbertharding

Taught me everything I needed to know about how to be cool.

That's right: Snoopy.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/08/how-snoopy-killedpeanuts/

the ouch cube

samadriel

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 20, 2019, 10:52:59 AM
Taught me everything I needed to know about how to be cool.

That's right: Snoopy.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/08/how-snoopy-killedpeanuts/

I agree with that article, but that "I sued a baby" one is pretty good.

Captain Crunch

Too much to choose from but I like some of the more frivolous ones: 

alan nagsworth

This one was displayed at the fantastic Peanuts exhibition in London (it was so good I went to it twice, got my mum and my grandpa to visit for it and everything, they loved it) and it made me laugh the hardest of all of them. Much as I love the absurd existentialism and wonderful dialogue of Peanuts above all else, sometimes the slapstick of a stubborn dog with a ball is all you need.

gilbertharding

Quote from: samadriel on June 22, 2019, 07:16:51 AM
I agree with that article, but that "I sued a baby" one is pretty good.

I'm not sure I completely agree with the headline, even if the text of the article is fairly persuasive. If Peanuts used to be 'dark' and then (with the ascent of The Dog became something else)... well, maybe. But killed?

Anyway - it's human to imagine the anthropomorphic inner lives of our pets, and that's surely what all the Joe Cool/Red Baron/Checkout Clerk etc stuff is. People say 'it's not a kid's thing', but it *is*. It's more that it's not just a kids thing.