Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mocking the tropes of bygone Kids TV for comic effect: S4C or not?

Started by gilbertharding, June 18, 2019, 12:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Quote from: ajsmith2 on June 22, 2019, 12:06:25 PM
Have to say that while not intended to be primarily humorous I think the video for Radiohead's 'Burn The Witch'  falls into this category. It's like TRUMPTON MEETS THE WICKER MAN! WOW!

Agree. Absolute guff.

I'd also like to use this post to state how utterly dreadful Don't Hug Me I'm Scared is.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 20, 2019, 03:10:00 PM
Musically I've seen that stance unreasonably levelled at Mr. Bungle more than any other band. It's especially frustrating since Mike Patton has stated in interviews and album liner notes that the only drug that fuelled the creation of those records was caffeine. But no of course they wrote a funk metal song about eggs so obviously they must have been on acid to come up with that idea.

Devin Townsend's nuttiest-concept albums have come in the wake of him getting sober, too. Only wankers think drugs equate to creativity. They can aid with abstract thought for sure but you can't mix albums while caned out of your fucking mind. I think Brooker said something to that effect in his episode on kid's TV.

popcorn

I always hated how Family Guy would have Bert and Ernie be alcoholics or whatever. Just corrupting lovely kids' stuff as a joke. Don't be mean.

Much much lesser example, but "You're Just Not Funny Any More, Charlie Brown" from The Day Today. No! Peanuts is lovely. Do not satirise it please.

popcorn

Which reminds me of that film that came out recently. Happytime Murders.

Watched this clip. Horrid.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on June 24, 2019, 12:56:25 AM
Which reminds me of that film that came out recently. Happytime Murders.

Watched this clip. Horrid.

Fuck that movie.  Jim Henson's Son pissing all over his Father's legacy.  What an absolute disgrace.

ajsmith2

Quote from: popcorn on June 24, 2019, 12:51:05 AM

Much much lesser example, but "You're Just Not Funny Any More, Charlie Brown" from The Day Today. No! Peanuts is lovely. Do not satirise it please.

I don't remember this from The Day Today, what bit is it in? When I Googled that title the only direct reference I could find  was as a chapter heading in one of Ben Baker's quiz books.

I think peak cynicism about Peanuts was in the 90s, when the strip was still going, over merchandised, taken for granted and, it has to be said in truth nowhere near as good as it had been in it's prime. 90s Peanuts strips tended to be a lot lazier with soft punchlines that usually landed on what one article I read recently brilliantly defined as a state of  'Milquetoast bemusement' rather than anything actually cutting. Thus in the 90s you had loads of people casually putting it down as unfunny and meandering from Tony Slattery on Room 101 to The Simpsons in 'The Boy Who Knew Too Much'. I think at the time there was a feeling that it has always been as bad as the later strips and schmaltzier TV specials. Then in the 00s after Schulz died you had Fantagraphics doing The Complete Peanuts series and suddenly everyone was reminded how good it had actually been. Everyone loves you when you're gone!

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: ajsmith2 on June 24, 2019, 09:36:43 AM
I don't remember this from The Day Today, what bit is it in? When I Googled that title the only direct reference I could find  was as a chapter heading in one of Ben Baker's quiz books.

On The Hour.

ajsmith2

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 23, 2019, 03:21:38 PM
Agree. Absolute guff.

I'd also like to use this post to state how utterly dreadful Don't Hug Me I'm Scared is.

Fraid to say I actually like Don't Hug Me I'm Scared overall despite some reservations. I don't like the gore and horror stuff much (dead obvious) but the high state of ultra irritating confusion it often evokes with the songs and catchphrases  can be brilliant. The 4th one about computers is particularly good for this. Mind you. I did have a horrible experience recently where I drunkenly tried to show a friend them all back to back and I very soon got the creeping realization that he indeed though it very much Shit For Cunts.

popcorn

Yes sorry I meant On the Hour. Thanks for the correction, Anus Burn!!!!!

Petey Pate

Quote from: ajsmith2 on June 24, 2019, 09:46:05 AM
Fraid to say I actually like Don't Hug Me I'm Scared overall despite some reservations. I don't like the gore and horror stuff much (dead obvious) but the high state of ultra irritating confusion it often evokes with the songs and catchphrases  can be brilliant. The 4th one about computers is particularly good for this. Mind you. I did have a horrible experience recently where I drunkenly tried to show a friend them all back to back and I very soon got the creeping realization that he indeed though it very much Shit For Cunts.

DHMIS feels like whoever created it was consulting a 'weird post-Adult Swim comedy 101' guidebook the whole time, the weirdness comes across as very calculated and inorganic. In this respect, it's similar to Noel Fielding, who as I just remembered did do a kids TV parody of some sort in Luxury Comedy with the Plasticine Joey Ramone sketches.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Petey Pate on June 24, 2019, 01:34:58 PM
DHMIS feels like whoever created it was consulting a 'weird post-Adult Swim comedy 101' guidebook the whole time, the weirdness comes across as very calculated and inorganic.

I dunno, I thought at it's best DHMIS is great at evoking how confusing and weird certain prescriptive/educational things come across to children without being overly tiresomely edgy. Episode 4 is the best example of this. Just brilliant nonsense. I could do without the played out gory bits and high concept bits, but I really enjoy the daft nonsensical relentlessness of the songs.

By comparison, Wonder Shozen always rubbed me up the wrong way by coming across to me as too just unrelentingly self consciously dark and edgy. Adult life is crappy complicated and bleak, they don't tell you that when you're a kid, do you see? If we contrast the 2 from there the humour arises. That seemed to be the message it would hit you over the head with sketch after sketch. I 'm aware I'm in a minority on that and admittedly I've not seen it for over a decade. I did love and still love Xavier for what it's worth, despite it also containing loads of heavy transgressive stuff, it just seemed a lot more joyful and likably silly in a way I never got from WS.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 18, 2019, 07:50:12 PM
Because I suspect the majority of people who bought the Ladybird/ Enid Blyton adult books enjoyed Viz and Comic Strip etc at the time.

I suspect nobody ever bought these sort of books for themselves because they thought they looked funny. More likely that they were only ever bought by 20/30somethings desperately hiking around a garden centre trying to find a gift for their dads. Then their dads unwrapped it, did a sort of polite chuckle at the front and back cover and never glanced at it again.

This sort of thing must be 'S4C', as it was seized upon as the sort of thing David Brent would find hilarious, with his "Doobie Doo" routine ("all those Scooby Snacks because he's got the munchies"). I wonder if this line of comedic inquiry was spearheaded by George Carlin's routine about how all the characters in fairy tales and nursery rhymes were on drugs, man, which still makes me laugh but it probably is the way he tells them (eg the pronunciation of the last line in "Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow? It's a rather an obvious one: with silver bells and cockle shells and an acre and a half of killer shit").

Jockice

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 18, 2019, 12:23:21 PM

So I immediately thought of Jasper Carrot's execrable Magic Roundabout record, and went to YouTube to look at the comments (hordes of Brexit Pensioners delighting in how politically incorrect it is to say 'virgin').

Got to admit, I found this quite funny when a mate played me it when we were about 12. Doubt if I'd like it now though. It's got to be one of the few singles ever that absolutely nobody bought for the A-side.

Brundle-Fly

Mocking childrens TV presenting style was always popular

The NTNONN sketch with Atkinson and Smith making stuff out of paper is the best for me. Can't find it on YouTube. Bah!

Thosworth

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 26, 2019, 08:01:07 AM
The NTNONN sketch with Atkinson and Smith making stuff out of paper is the best for me. Can't find it on YouTube. Bah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xAZ1leLXW0

(The fact they claim to be satirising 'Panorama' is just a bonus...)

mothman

Today's exam question: "Which is better, the Blue Peter parody by Armstrong & Miller* (who grew up with the show) or Monty Python (who didn't)? Show your working out."

*parodies plural, in their case

Replies From View

The Monty Python one because Monty Python are better than Armstrong and Miller.

My working out:  because they just are

mothman

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on June 29, 2019, 03:24:15 PM
10 good effort, but try harder next time

Seven out of ten is good enough for me.  I'm going to employ the same strategy next time.

H-O-W-L

DHMIS 1 was alright. Everything since that has been utter S4C and the fact the creators of it clearly want to inject some kind of ~DEEP LORE~ into it makes me just want to take a big steamy piss all over it.