Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:43:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Slay the Spire the thread

Started by Jerzy Bondov, June 18, 2019, 01:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimboslice

Absolutely loved this game, fired it up again last night after reading this thread but then decided that it was too late to start a run.

I've slayed the spire with all three characters and beat the heart with the silent (ascension 1 I think, the one with more elites), but am tempted to go up the ascensions now. A lot of it is reliant on getting the right relics though. Apotheosis is such a great card too, unless they've nerfed.

Some of those mods sound interesting too.

Noonling

Yeah, I actually bought Slay the Spire ages ago, but started it up again due to this thread as well.

What kind of deck/relics did you have to beat the heart with Silent? While I've had some good runs with the character, I still feel like I haven't had brilliant runs - killing the Act 3 boss isn't a dead cert even when I get there, so managing to kill the heart seems impossible. I might try it again after some more ascension runs.

kidney

just beat Time Eater with Defect :*)
that fight was tense

Jerzy Bondov

Just Slayed the Spire with Ironclad for the first time. Absolutely stomped Donu and Deca, I think I was doing about 200 damage with Heavy Blade. Big strength pumper. Feels good.

Fry

Yep, just now slayed for the first time too, with Ironclad also. Ascension 1. Juggernaut, a couple of Feel No Pains, a few Power Throughs, a Second Wind, Barricade and a Fiend Fire were the core of my deck. Along with a Runic pyramid it meant I could get a chunky hand full of shitty cards like wounds and strikes, exhaust them all with Second wind and gain 80+ block (plus the block from my Feel No Pain) while still dealing damage thanks to Juggernaut, or exhaust them all and do 12 damage per card with Fiend Fire while still amassing block with Feel No Pain. Kept doing that until I had a tiny hand with a a few cards. Entrench over and over, multiply my block up to about 400 and smash the fuck out of everyone with body slam.  Absolutely diamond deck.

Jerzy Bondov

Scraped my first win with the Silent last night. My deck was actually pretty good but not the best for the Time Eater. Got through it with my potions and lizard tail. Well Laid Plans was crucial, what a good card that is. Using that to hold onto Wraith Form until things got dicey was another life saver. Gone from hating the Silent to loving it.

Barry Admin

I wish I'd read the first post more closet. My friend has been addicted to this for ages, and I've been dying to play it as I love card/strategy games. Bought a cheap indie one this week called Monster Slayers, which is very good. Anyway, finally realised this was on Xbox Game Pass last night, and am absolutely loving it.

Barry Admin

First time - I think - getting to the third act boss. Using the Ironclad, gotta Awakened One down to 39 health, but didn't have enough block to survive, damn. If I'd been a bit luckier with double tap and golden nib, I'd have had him.

Absolutely loving it, really enjoy chess-style strategising so much, you've really got to think each hand through, and make sure you're playing thighs in the right order. As I get more familiar, I'll be better able to actually build towards certain decks, for now I'm still figuring out what works and what synergises. Bloody brilliant, absolutely engrossing, and the presentation is top notch too.

Noonling

Its great seeing an active thread about a game I actually play!

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 16, 2019, 11:42:11 PM
First time - I think - getting to the third act boss. Using the Ironclad, gotta Awakened One down to 39 health, but didn't have enough block to survive, damn. If I'd been a bit luckier with double tap and golden nib, I'd have had him.

Absolutely loving it, really enjoy chess-style strategising so much, you've really got to think each hand through, and make sure you're playing thighs in the right order. As I get more familiar, I'll be better able to actually build towards certain decks, for now I'm still figuring out what works and what synergises. Bloody brilliant, absolutely engrossing, and the presentation is top notch too.

Have you tried the other characters at all yet? I find it amazing how differently they play.

At normal difficulty it does feel like a great strategic game, but I feel like the later ascensions are pretty luck based. I'm on Ascension 10 for both Ironclad and Silent now - my bad runs with Silent still feel like my own fault but I've been smashing my head against the wall with Ironclad. I've never read any strategy guides mind, so I might have to start doing that. I think I've tried all the major strategies with Silent but still haven't touched an exhaust build with Ironclad, or one thats heavy on defence...Perhaps that's my issue!

MojoJojo

From what I've heard ascension 10 is consistently winnable. The developers first added 10 ascension levels with the intention that it wouldn't be consistently winnable on ascension 10 but then players like Jorbs proved them wrong. So then the developers added another 10 ascension levels and now even Jorbs doesn't win all the time.

The study and work Jorbs has put into it though is mad though - spreadsheets collecting win rates after each card taken, average damage taken from each enemy type, all sorts of stuff. And he does complicated stuff like timing his double taps to go off with pen nib while still working within the time eaters card play limit. While I could possibly still find going into that much detail fun I don't think I'm ever going to have the energy alongside a job to do it.

MojoJojo

Random tip: when fighting centurion + cleric, kill the centurion first! It really is much easier that way.

Barry Admin

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 17, 2019, 12:07:28 PM
Random tip: when fighting centurion + cleric, kill the centurion first! It really is much easier that way.

Tried this, worked well as the cleric was too busy healing the centurion, nice.

Was chatting to my friend today about how much I'm enjoying this, and pointed out how I really love the ability to make a comeback, and/or survive with very little health. Just had an absolute nail-biter there which proved this in spades!

I was continuing a run from last night, and was lazy about refreshing my memory regards artifacts. Was playing as the Silent and experimenting with poison cards, and had a great starting card which let me generate a potion before exhausting.

Basically I was down to about only 15hp the whole way through the second half of the act, and managed to stay in through skill and luck, in equal measure. Rest before the boss, and that only brings me upto about 30hp. It's The Collector, hadn't seen him before, so no clue about his attacks. Just went for it.

Getting close, at one point I've only got the Snecko potion left, so I neck it and hope for lucky confusion draws. Eventually...die, then am immediately resurrected with half health due to an artifact I'd forgotten all about! Clutched the win, felt amazing.

Making a point of not spoiling this by looking up strategies and net decks and stuff, just having an absolute ball getting to learn the game. Absolutely fantastic.

Barry Admin

Took time off from the Ironclad last night to do a run with The Silent. Boom, beat the boss, lovely stuff. Had a great deck with loads of poison and discard powers, built up really nicely. Managed to do Ascension 1 as well, then straight into the daily, which I also won. Maybe gonna vary it up now; the first daily I had done was with the Defect, and I didn't quite cotton on to how the orbs worked. They seem really fun though, did a run with him afterwards and think I get the idea now.

What an addictive game, Jesus. Bought it for £15 off Game Pass to support the makers, and because I'm definitely gonna want to keep this. It's utterly engrossing, I'm not sticking YouTube videos on in the background or anything, rather I'm just sat thinking through my strategies and trying to remember when my relics will trigger and so on

Absolutely fantastic, so, so good, I believe a fourth character is coming soon too? Yeeoooo.

Today's daily was good, they seem fun; I think the first one I did gave you a relic after EVERY fight, it made for an absurd run. Today's run with the Silent had me struggling through the first couple of acts with little to no block at all, but I was a DPS machine and managed to take out most enemies before they could really touch me.

MojoJojo

Anyone still still playing this? I'm only doing 4/5 games a week. After being stuck at Ascension 3 for ages I seem to have improved a bit and have now got up to ascension 5.

My win against ascension 4 was weird. Really didn't feel like a good deck. The good bit was I had Necronomicon (first attack in a that costs 2 or more played twice), pen nib (every 10th attack does double damage). That combined with a skewer, plenty of energy, and few blade dances to help pen nib proc, and +1 strength meant I could do crazy damage when I lined things up right. Like (5*11) * 2 * 2. But that really shouldn't have been enough to win, especially because my deck was a flabby 34 cards (well-laid plans is pretty much essential).

Was the easiest time beating Time Eater I've ever had though, because for one I didn't have a shiv heavy build.

MojoJojo

Somethings clicked with this a bit this week and I've gone up 3 ascension levels this week. Feel like I'm starting to get a grasp on things, and even when I lose I'm often aware of the mistakes I've made.

Finally twigged to how important upgrades are early on. Relics are more powerful, but are often shit (e.g. Juju bracelet), whereas all the classes have at least one card that upgrading really helps your deck. Also, campfires don't hurt like elite fights do. One conclusion from this is that's you really want to go to a campfire to upgrade a card before your first elite fight.

There's a bit of tension I haven't worked out between needing relics to win but often relics are rubbish and elite fights cost a lot of hp.

a peepee tipi

Anybody try out new Watcher character in the beta branch? It operates on a "stance" mechanic with the Wrath stance doubling damage dealt and received and the passive Calm stance giving you energy when you exit it. Swamped my first run with it, though I was building around Wrath and got the Necronomicon so was just blasting shit for almost 70-150 damage on average

MojoJojo

I'm on Switch so no Watcher for me (yet).

I've been focusing on the Silent and moving up the ascension levels. At the beginning of the week I was thinking the ascension system was a bit crap as you only have to beat each level once so it was just luck. But I've tried going back to ascension 1 and have won 4 out of 5 games so I am learning something.

Noonling

New patch is out

QuotePatch 2.0 is finally here, hooray! This patch brings new cards, relics, potions, balance changes, reworks, bug fixes, performance improvements, and a 4th character.

Obel

Right lads I've been hopelessly addicted to this game since the weekend, is this the support group still?

I've unlocked everything with the Ironlad and did Ascension level 1 last night so have decided it's time to play another class. At first the other classes didn't appeal at all, but after rinsing the lad so much I'm loving having all the new cards. Poison is great fun with the Silent. I've just started level 3 with my first Silent build and I'm basically invulnerable; the last elite and boss fights I incurred no damage, it's such a satifying deck I'm working with. Surprisingly bulky at 30 cards or so, but I've managed to create a lot of synergy options. Looking forward to seeing if I can finish this run when I get home from work. Mans still playing?

MojoJojo

Yup, I play a game 3 or 4 times a week. Playing almost exclusively as Silent, and generally playing at Ascension 5 despite having got up to 14. Each run is generally hard enough that I don't feel the need to push hard.

I need to pay more attention to some of the subtleties around redraw cards. For example if you have a card that draws extra cards, and that will cause your discard pile to be reshuffled into your deck, it's important to play any "good" cards before you play the drawing card so the good card ends up in your draw pile instead of your discard and you'll be able to draw it again a lot quicker.

Obel

I finished the run pretty effortlessly, floor 3 I lost 1HP the whole way. The boss was that time guy, who I hadn't fought before and fucking hated. I did manage to paste him by the time all my powers were in play though, satisfying ending to my first Silent run! I want to do another run using shivs and caltrops, though I haven't got a clear idea how to maximize the usefulness of them just yet.

Eventually I'll give the other two characters a go!