Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:32:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Toast

Started by Cerys, June 18, 2019, 01:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is best toast?

Toast
4 (17.4%)
Toast
5 (21.7%)
Toast
3 (13%)
Toast
8 (34.8%)
Toast
6 (26.1%)
Toads
4 (17.4%)
An tOast
8 (34.8%)
Töst
3 (13%)
PG Tips:  It's The Toast!
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Chollis on June 18, 2019, 03:51:02 PM
Oh I toast all my bread on the AGA, naturally

The Aga of toasters is the Dualit Classic.

I have a 4-slicer, but the gluttonous part of me wishes I'd gone for the 6.

Johan Cruyff

I had toast once.

imitationleather

When I get married everyone will be expected to raise a slice of toast to me.

It'll be so emotional, even the cake will be in tiers (of toast).

Buelligan

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Johan Cruyff on June 18, 2019, 04:04:22 PM
I had toast once.

Dutch people aren't allowed to eat toast! What the fuck are you playing at?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 18, 2019, 03:53:48 PM

Ashamed to say we have the Two Slice model (I can never remember which slot is the one to use when one of the slots is 'off' but) - we also forked out for one of these bad boys so it's Hot Toasted Sandwiches all the way:

imitationleather

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 18, 2019, 04:12:45 PM

Maybe if Johan had eaten a bit more toast he'd still be alive.

Something to think about.

Twed

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 18, 2019, 04:12:45 PM
They have no concept of rust, and toast is just rusty bread. So you're right.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 18, 2019, 03:53:48 PM

We had the sixer growing up, and tbh the right side of the toaster (i.e toast slots 3-6) rarely got used, unless we were having a toast party.

Twed

Here is a genuinely interesting YouTube video about toasters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLFG068HtgM

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 18, 2019, 04:13:19 PM
Ashamed to say we have the Two Slice model (I can never remember which slot is the one to use when one of the slots is 'off' but) - we also forked out for one of these bad boys so it's Hot Toasted Sandwiches all the way:

I was tempted by that, but prefer the crimped-edges and pocket of filling type you get with a breville.

Twed

"Requires hardwiring to mains"

May as well just jab bread into the national grid at that point

Sebastian Cobb

I've seen the 4 slice Rowletts in pubs, they look like shit Dualits.

Twed

gilbertharding

Those toasters you get in hotel buffets, where the bread goes in on a conveyor belt... anyone got one of those in their house?

poo

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 18, 2019, 05:02:39 PM
Those toasters you get in hotel buffets, where the bread goes in on a conveyor belt... anyone got one of those in their house?

That would be absolutely mental. Or would it!!!!!!!!???????!!!!????!!!!!??????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!?!?!??!????!!!!!

Twed

Nah, I just have the usual sushi conveyor and Japanese chef in my digs. I guess it could be modified for toast (if he holds still)

gilbertharding

Quote from: poo on June 18, 2019, 05:18:16 PM
That would be absolutely mental. Or would it!!!!!!!!???????!!!!????!!!!!??????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!?!?!??!????!!!!!

Yes. The answer is yes.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Twed on June 18, 2019, 04:49:49 PM

Wrong thread mate, I think you meant to post that here

mothman

Ooh, that Dualit toaster looks interesting. I may have to get one. There's a three-slice model?! Glory be.

If I get a four-slice one, do all four cook at once or could I just do two slices?

Cerys

We have a four slice model, but each pair of slots runs independently, so yes - you can toast just two slices at a time.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah you can switch it.

And if you inevitably forget to switch it to four slice, the middle slice heats one side of the bread so you can flip one piece round and toast the other side and drop the other one into the hot side to remedy the problem.

Also, the holes are big enough you can jam two slices in one hole if you want to make a sandwich that is toasted on the inside but bread on the outside.

The day I was divested of my virginity, I was also expecting a visit from a Council electrician. My home was a bit of a tip, though not as a result of any acrobatic acitivities. I started shoving various bits of clutter in every nook and cranny - of my home; Gabi had left by this time - in an attempt to not bring about yet another health and safety inspection. The woman who'd been assisting with the earlier fiasco had left her lighter behind, and I shoved this into my Baby Belling cooker with a few other bits and bobs. The electrician - I nearly said sparky then, like some kind of relaxed and affable person - still hadn't turned up quite late in the afternoon and I was feeling peckish. I decided to make some toast. The Baby Belling cooker is one that has its grill on the inside of the oven area. So there's me standing in front of the cooker, waiting for the toast, with a posture reminiscent of Lieutenant Castillo of Miami Vice, hands in pockets, considering other matters. Then, there's me, falling back and yelping like a chiuauauaua as a fireball appears the size of a medicine ball above the open door of the Baby Belling Cooker. I felt for burns instinctively and found my eyebrows and sideburns had turned to a Shredded Wheat-like texture.

The first five to eight times I told this story it seemed kind of amusing, but after eighteen years it's lost its sparkle for me, though I have occasionally panicked and begun it again during an embarrassing silence while out. "Look at that rain," people say.

A fireball is quite impressive up close though - if my ex had left a less empty lighter behind I might have burned to death but I wouldn't be without that experience, for the sight of a fireball up close.

The fireball, seen up close, made up for the bedroom antics, to be honest - a genitally undersized man pairing with a voluptuous-figured woman on a very soft mattress was never going to work. Looking at it now both the day's events seem a deliberated, orchestrated product of self-loathing, though less so than my perception of this now.

The toast was a write-off as well.

mothman

Hmm. How can I make my current toaster stop working so I can justify getting one to MrsMoth?

chveik

désolé, je ne mange pas de ce pain là

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Unnecessary Biscuits on June 18, 2019, 06:43:00 PM

We had one of them Baby Belling things in University. They were so shit. This one was connected to a timed dead-mans-switch so you couldn't pass out and burn the halls down, but it made it basically impossible to get the thing up to temperature (which seemed to take forever). Also because it's on a plug and limited to 13A you can only use the oven and one hob. Want to do toad in the hole with mash and peas? Tough shit mate.

petril

[tag]all sorts of wholemeal bread that comes in funny packages with writing down the side[/tag]