Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:53:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Raise a glass/cup to Will Smith

Started by Bazooka, June 18, 2019, 03:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Always seems to be a top lad, never puts a foot wrong,lovely gentleman, I raise a glass of lychee juice in celebration of William (will smith) Smith.

Hip hip huzzah!!

EOLAN

He was very good as Olly Phil in The Thick of It.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on June 18, 2019, 03:27:02 PM
...never puts a foot wrong...

Foisting his Son into the movie industry, in lead roles, despite him displaying a clear lack of acting talent, via of display of gross nepotism was a pretty big old wrong footing, I'd say.  Then again, Will Smith was a bad actor to begin with (him mouthing lines in the early episodes of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air always annoyed the living fuck out of me), but he's pretty darn good these days, so on that basis, maybe it'll all work out for his Son in the end.

Howj Begg

Very good in Six Degrees of Separation. Everything else: meh.

Except for Fresh price natch, oh my brain my wife is gonna kill me

St_Eddie

Actually, you know another time that a Will Smith performance bothered me?  In I Am Legend; he's very good throughout but in the scene where his character has to put his dog down, Will Smith is fake crying.  It always takes me out of the moment, that we don't see any actual tears in that scene.  Like Arnold Schwarzenegger, I don't think that Will Smith is a fantastic actor but for the most part, his natural charm and charisma makes up for any deficiencies within the acing department.  Said moment in I Am Legend was not one of those times.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Bazooka on June 18, 2019, 03:27:02 PM
William (will smith) Smith.
His name is Willard. Like the dog from Eastenders.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 18, 2019, 04:18:49 PM
His name is Willard. Like the dog from Eastenders.

Actually, his full name is Wicky Wicky Will Wicky Wicky Will Will Smith.

Chollis

Uncle TechTip

I've loved him ever since he used to turn up regularly on Des O'Connor's show. He was the only Hollywood star I can recall on that show; I think he just really got on with Des.

Twed

Quote from: Chollis on June 18, 2019, 04:51:10 PM
umm it's actually Wellard you IDIOT
Well Smith? I don't think so. That's somebody's job. A wellsmith.

peanutbutter

Always seems a bit Tom Cruise to me, perfectly pleasant and whatnot but a bit dead under it all, like you can imagine him attempting to constantly calculate what would be the best career move at any given point.

In fact, Cruise gets some bonus points because he's at least a more mental variant of vapid.

Dr Rock

I don't really like any of his films. That one where he was the drunk superhero, that was alright. First Men In Black's ok I spose.

Will Smith is fucking amazing, but his career took a slightly wrong turn after Independence Day when he started going for action hero rather than comedic lead. He should be more Billy Crystal than Tom Cruise.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Na na na na na na na
Na na na na na na
Gettin geggy with it

Shaky

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 18, 2019, 09:22:59 PM
Always seems a bit Tom Cruise to me, perfectly pleasant and whatnot but a bit dead under it all, like you can imagine him attempting to constantly calculate what would be the best career move at any given point.

I concur. Can't imagine there's such a thing as having a two-way conversation with him, seems the sort of bloke that would always slyly steer things back to himself. Doesn't make him an awful guy but he's clearly very self-focused. And the Scientology rumours would put him in the Cruise camp as well.

Twed

Affable but overall lacking in good taste. Probably can't see what was wrong with I-Robot.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shaky on June 19, 2019, 04:17:37 AM
I concur. Can't imagine there's such a thing as having a two-way conversation with him, seems the sort of bloke that would always slyly steer things back to himself. Doesn't make him an awful guy but he's clearly very self-focused. And the Scientology rumours would put him in the Cruise camp as well.

I'm not a big fan of Smith's but to be fair it was his wife who briefly looked in to Scientology, and both of them have spoken out against it since then. https://www.essence.com/love/jada-pinkett-smith-advice-heartbreak-instagram/

Twit 2

Bland nothing of a man: you'd have to squint to find any relevance to his existence, or worth to his achievements. A film with him in is a guarantee of a barely satisfactory time; sitting on a sofa, he is vapidness personified and he'd probably high five a duck if he went near enough to a pond. In fact, if you opened up his chest cavity, you'd fine none of the traditional viscera and bloody goings on, nor even the cogs and springs of vintage automation, but a grey sludge redolent of pork pie offcuts, a sludge that barely has the gumption to pulsate. Lean in closer and with the right stethoscope you can hear his brain in the gelatin, the clattering of birds' beaks on precast concrete.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 19, 2019, 09:13:56 AM
Bad Boys tho

Never seen it. Can't be doin' with that Big Momma's House fella. His face annoys me too much to listen to the words come out of his mouth.

Smith is okay. Hancock was okay. 6 Degrees was okay. Even iRobot and that zombie one were okay. Haven't seen Wild Wild West or Happyness but they look gash.

Christ he has done a lot of rubbish now that I consider it. He gets a lot of goodwill from Fresh Prince but he seems to have finally exhausted it after 20 years of mediocrity. He even fucked up in the superhero genre with Suicide Squad. What a stinker.

Fun fact, he turned down smash hit The Matrix to do stinking turkey Wild Wild West.

peanutbutter

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 19, 2019, 11:23:42 PM
Fun fact, he turned down smash hit The Matrix to do stinking turkey Wild Wild West.
To be fair, if it were the choice of the Wachowskis or the guy who just done Men in Black and those neat Addams Family films, I'd go with the latter too.

You remove the Matrix from the Wachowskis filmography and it's at best commercially toxic, at worst just a giant pile of shite.

bgmnts

Wicky wicky wile west always elicits a chuckle.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 21, 2019, 06:23:03 PM
To be fair, if it were the choice of the Wachowskis or the guy who just done Men in Black and those neat Addams Family films, I'd go with the latter too.

It's not a one off bad choice though, it's the beginning of a series of bad choices and therefore seems to typify his later career.

Sebastian Cobb

You remove the Matrix from the Wachowskis filmography and it's at best commercially toxic, at worst just a giant pile of shite.

Not having that, Bound was alright.

chveik

Mate. Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas are great.

The Bumlord

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 19, 2019, 11:23:42 PM

Which he explains here (and apologises for):

https://youtu.be/hm2szuXKgL8

Twed