Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:21:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Max Landis #CANCELLED

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, June 18, 2019, 07:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worst Landis?

Max Landis
8 (36.4%)
John Landis
5 (22.7%)
Landis, North Carolina
2 (9.1%)
This Landis Yourland, this Landis Myland
6 (27.3%)
Will ye Landis 10p for a cup a coffee, I love you ya fuggen bghshg
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

SteveDave

Quote from: Chollis on June 19, 2019, 01:32:30 PM
I hadn't heard of any of them. Just curious.

All four series of Channel Zero are really good. Highly recommended. They've taken Creepy Pasta stories and then actually made them scary/creepy. The second and fourth series were especially good. The third with Rutger Hauer as a cannibalistic fellow who lives in a different dimension less so.

New Page- I've seen things...

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 19, 2019, 01:53:56 PM
watch it now and i guarantee it's not as funny as you remember it being

To be fair, a lot of comedies from that era don't hold up, so I can't blame John Landis specifically. I remember enjoying a few of his films when I was a kid, but maybe it's not as good now. There's plenty of other highly-respected comedy figures I could name whose work looks crap now, but I wouldn't want to start a fight.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Chollis on June 19, 2019, 01:32:30 PM
I hadn't heard of any of them. Just curious.

His version of Dirk Gently was really great, the first season took a while to settle and Dirk could be slightly annoying at times, but I loved the second season a lot.

I rewatched American Werewolf In London a couple of years ago and was a bit disappointed by it too, it's really patchy, sometimes great but there's a lot of filler. I also watched Three Amigos for the first time in decades shortly afterwards and liked it, though my expectations for it were quite low, he doesn't give Chevy Chase much to do but Short and Martin are pretty fantastic in it.

Sin Agog

Rewatched American Werewolf not a month ago, and it still is a great hang-out.  Griffin Dunne and the lead who didn't do much afterwards feel like legitimate friends, and that kinda thing is hard to forge.  The stuff that might be considered filler, like him dossing about in Nurse Walkabout's flat are why I love it.  It breathes.  Lotta films forget to do that.

St_Eddie

An American Werewolf in London is absolutely brilliant.  Easily one of the greatest horror comedies of all time (a sub-genre that's notoriously difficult to get right).

St_Eddie

madhair60

If Monsieur Verdoux is wrong about John Landis, it stands to reason he is also wrong about Graham Linehan! All hail Linehan!!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Anyone with a haircut like that is bound to be a wrong. Just look at the ridiculous little cunt.

things i am indisputably correct about:  John Landis
                                                          Graham Linehan
                                                          Jordan Peterson
                                                          Lou Reed's album with Metallica being fucking ace

St_Eddie

Max Landis has been dropped by his agency.

Quote from: PajibaAccused serial rapist Max Landis, a man who has multiple allegations of rape, assault, bullying, manipulation, and gaslighting to his name, was fired by Writ Large, his personal managers. This news comes after The Daily Beast released their article detailing extensive allegations by eight women who said that Landis had abused them, including descriptions of sexual assault, choking, public bullying, and verbal abuse. Britton Rizzio, his former manager, said, 'Writ Large does not represent Max Landis. As soon as we heard about the Daily Beast article, we parted company.'

Following the article, it was also revealed that MGM had chosen to not move forward with Deeper, a drama written by Landis that was set to star Idris Elba. Shadow in the Cloud, an action horror originally written by Landis that stars Chloe Grace Moretz, went into production this month, but Landis's name is no longer attached to the project after extensive rewrites.

Looks like he went totally quiet on Instagram and Reddit a few months ago so presumably he knew this was coming

Sin Agog

Chloe Grace Moretz should really try a bit harder not to work on projects with people who are cancelled right before they get released.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 19, 2019, 07:20:34 PM
Looks like he went totally quiet on Instagram and Reddit a few months ago so presumably he knew this was coming

Well, yes because a few women had already come forward over the last couple of years.  It's just that the allegations weren't as widely reported, nor as comprehensive, as with the Daily Beast article.  The writing's been on the wall for Max Landis for quite some time.  It's just a shame that it's taken this long for the wheels to truly start spinning at speed and for the world at large to sit up and take notice.  I hope that some of his victims have enough bravery to press charges and that he faces prison time for his reprehensible actions.

i vaguely remember when he had allegations levelled against him previously, mainly because they coincided with the release of Bright and he sort of unceremoniously vanished off of twitter, but he kept posting on his subreddit and on instagram for ages after the first accusations were leveled. i guess he thought he might get away with it until a few months ago when he was probably informed that the 'big article' was being written, and that it couldn't be dismissed as easily

peanutbutter

I thought his wrestling stuff was fun enough but he was obnoxious as hell as a personality with a weird level of prominence for someone with so few hits to his name.

I'm unsure if the sheer level of discussion about his dad stemming from this highlights just how strong the nepotism was (i.e. people had fuck all to say about Max, despite being a pretty prominent figure) or was just a suitable time to shine the light on his awfulness.

Can't say I rate John much, he's involved in a few funny films but the direction was never something that stood out to me. To me "a John Landis film" basically meant the same "a frat pack film", it was much more about the overall crew involved and how they all worked with one another.

QDRPHNC

There was the time he didn't manslaughter those kids.

This Playboy interview with Eddie Murphy is doing the rounds on Twitter right now, there's comments about Landis

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/eddie-murphy-john-landis-is-f-cked-up.387785/

bgmnts

QuoteI don't want to say who was guilty or who was innocent. [Pauses] But if you're directing a movie and two kids get their heads chopped off at fucking twelve o'clock at night when there ain't supposed to be kids working, and you said, "Action!" then you have some sort of responsibility.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on June 19, 2019, 11:43:43 PM
This Playboy interview with Eddie Murphy is doing the rounds on Twitter right now, there's comments about Landis

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/eddie-murphy-john-landis-is-f-cked-up.387785/

They both sound like gigantic assholes.

Yeah it sounds like a clash of colossal egos

And also this is doing the rounds

http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/personnel/Peabodys_Place-4.html

about Vic Morrow's funeral

QuoteA thin, bearded man was coming down the aisle, seemingly unable to walk without assistance. He was supported by a woman and another man (Mrs. John Landis and George Folsey, Jr., the production manager of the "Twilight Zone" movie). The bearded staggerer was "Twilight Zone" director, John Landis.

His stooges helped him to the lectern and he began a rambling eulogy --unplanned, unrequested, unwanted and shocking to Vic's family and friends. His mere presence at the funeral was offensive to them. He did this, presumably, on the advice of his attorney.

The most obnoxious remark he made, among many, was that he was "proud to have directed Vic in what Vic, himself, considered the best performance of his career."

Vic's girl friend and his ex-wife Barbara both said Vic thought the movie was a piece of s..., and he was ashamed to be connected with it.

John Landis' eulogy sounded more like a promo for the film.

Some historically bad takes in this thread about the director of Blues Brothers, arguably the best directed comedy film of all time given the number and variety of set pieces involved.

He may or may not be a monster, but that doesn't makes his movies shit anymore than it does Hitchcock's.

Hitchcock was great

Polanski is a master

Landis is an absolute fucking hack

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 20, 2019, 12:22:03 AM
Some historically bad takes in this thread about the director of Blues Brothers, arguably the best directed comedy film of all time given the number and variety of set pieces involved.

He may or may not be a monster, but that doesn't makes his movies shit anymore than it does Hitchcock's.

I would just like to go on record as having bought a replica diecast Bluesmobile this week so my opinions on Landis himself have no sway on my love for some of his movies.  However, imagine follow-up opinion here

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 20, 2019, 12:25:07 AM
Hitchcock was great

Polanski is a master

Landis is an absolute fucking hack

Animal House, Blues Brothers, An American Werewolf in London, Trading Places, Three Amigos, Coming to America. Is there a comedy director with a better career output?

Comedy films are generally not technically or artistically difficult to direct, I'm not saying he's actually on par with a Hitchcock, and he only had a writing credit for Blues Brothers and American Werewolf, but saying his movies aren't funny is nonce sense.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on June 19, 2019, 11:43:43 PM

It wasn't even about the pussy! What a great guy.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 20, 2019, 12:30:25 AM
Animal House, Blues Brothers, An American Werewolf in London, Trading Places, Three Amigos, Coming to America. Is there a comedy director with a better career output?

John Hughes?

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 20, 2019, 12:30:25 AM

Yeah like literally almost every other comedy director. Those films are all extremely overrated and not funny. Have you seen Animal House recently? It's garbage!

mothman

I tried to get my eldest to watch Blues Brothers. She didn't like it at all. I have to say I was struggling with it, too.