Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:38:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

John Cusack #CANCELLED

Started by phantom_power, June 19, 2019, 06:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

While trying to make a post attacking Israel he "accidentally" posted an antisemitic meme. As you do

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48677183

samadriel

"Follow the money"!  Haha, whoops...

imitationleather

Doesn't look good for Corbyn.

sponk

I'd say John Cusack was racist, if I could remember who the hell John Cusack was.

Glebe

John Cusack will Say Anything, won't he?

Konki

Quote from: Glebe on June 19, 2019, 02:28:43 PM
John Cusack will Say Anything, won't he?

He sure is a Gross Pointless Plank.

Sin Agog

Grosse Pointe West Bank.

Was it in that Louis Theroux Zionists doc where we got a glimpse at the HQ of the Anti Defamation League?  They seem about as legitimate a source as Franz Liebkind.

imitationleather

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 19, 2019, 02:36:54 PM
Was it in that Louis Theroux Zionists doc where we got a glimpse at the HQ of the Anti Defamation League?  They seem about as legitimate a source as Franz Liebkind.

I don't think it was. May be mistaken, but I don't recall that bit.

Sebastian Cobb

bgmnts

Being an American and criticising Israel? Fair play he's got bottle.

sponk

Quote from: bgmnts on June 19, 2019, 02:45:22 PM
Being an American and criticising Israel? Fair play he's got bottle.

Mate

pancreas

What a mess.

This is the image, for reference:

and here is its proudly antisemitic author claiming it:

https://nationalvanguard.org/2017/01/voltaire-didnt-say-it/

Not great.

Sin Agog

Quote from: imitationleather on June 19, 2019, 02:38:02 PM
I don't think it was. May be mistaken, but I don't recall that bit.

Sorry, I confused it with The Brothel.  (Have a vivid memory of him, or someone like him, visiting a woman at the desk of the Anti-Defamation League, and her coming across like the most rabidly dogmatic help! I'm being repressed yenta).

We need to define a carefully worded way of voicing displeasure with Israel without it being open to being manipulated into sounding like we said '...more like six thousand.'  Maybe never mention Israel without also mentioning Palestine?  Take it as far away from identity politics as you can get.

By the way...Con Air.  You don't even have to change anything.

Gerald Fjord

maybe don't post images straight from a 1940s german textbook. probably a good start.

Moonshine

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 19, 2019, 02:54:23 PM
Sorry, I confused it with The Brothel.  (Have a vivid memory of him, or someone like him, visiting a woman at the desk of the Anti-Defamation League, and her coming across like the most rabidly dogmatic help! I'm being repressed yenta).

We need to define a carefully worded way of voicing displeasure with Israel without it being open to being manipulated into sounding like we said '...more like six thousand.'  Maybe never mention Israel without also mentioning Palestine?  Take it as far away from identity politics as you can get.

By the way...Con Air.  You don't even have to change anything.

That might be the Jon Ronson doc where he knocked about with  David Icke

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: phantom_power on June 19, 2019, 06:57:35 AM
While trying to make a post attacking Israel he "accidentally" posted an antisemitic meme. As you do

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48677183

QuoteJewish writer Elad Nehorai asked: "How does a bot 'get you to write 'follow the money' after sharing an overtly anti-Semitic image?"

Yeah, that was a strange claim, and one which undermines his later more reasonable statements.

QuoteEnglish comedian David Baddiel, also Jewish, said: "John Cusack says he didn't at first realise that the image was anti-Semitic. My, it's a troublesome old blind spot for progressives, isn't it?"

However, I think this is unfair. Some progressives (Is Baddiel not a progressive, now?) who want to criticise the state of Israel's racist actions are mistaking global conspiracy images for images criticising political lobbying. It shows a lack of knowledge, but it's not a 'blind spot' to make these kinds of mistakes. What's blind about being willing to accept he fucked up, apologise and explain why he was wrong?

Meanwhile, actual racists don't have a blind spot. They know exactly the poison they are propagating and continue to do it because they don't give a flying fuck what progressives think. So that's all fine, and we'll have one in Downing Street soon, probably because the likes of Baddiel spend their time and energy criticising 'progressives' instead of just posting 'Mate' under the ill conceived retweets of actors trying to do the right thing.

phantom_power

It seems fairly clear to me that Cusack has been an idiot who posted an image without thinking too hard or doing his research rather than yer actual anti-semite.  It seems in the Twittersphere though that one is as bad as the other.

EDIT: just seen what JYN has said and I agree. Baddiel is being a cunt there for trying to slyly suggest lots of "progressives" are antisemitic, or at least blind to it. Seems like an excuse to get a dig in at Labour and the left when this has nothing to do with it

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: pancreas on June 19, 2019, 02:49:49 PM
What a mess.

This is the image, for reference:

and here is its proudly antisemitic author claiming it:

https://nationalvanguard.org/2017/01/voltaire-didnt-say-it/

Not great.

Oof! That is a stinker, though. The diamond ring, and all.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Moonshine on June 19, 2019, 03:08:01 PM
That might be the Jon Ronson doc where he knocked about with  David Icke

Yes! That's definitely the one.  Cheers.  Icke was on a book tour or something and couldn't stop himself banging on about tapdancing Jews controlling the world.

Just to clarify, although I did confuse Louis Theroux and Jon Ronson, I am not saying that all Jewish documentarians look alike.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 19, 2019, 02:32:05 PM
This interviewer didn't

https://youtu.be/yXF8Lhvjqa8

Well they all look the same, don't they?

There's some great comments under that video, btw.

pancreas

There seems to be another version of it which doesn't have the star of David. So I don't know if that's been superimposed on an anticapitalist image or this one has been cleaned up for a different version. Don't particularly want to go down that rabbit hole. The diamond ring in itself I'm kind of unclear on.

bgmnts

Louis Theroux is Jewish now?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: pancreas on June 19, 2019, 03:21:45 PM
There seems to be another version of it which doesn't have the star of David. So I don't know if that's been superimposed on an anticapitalist image or this one has been cleaned up for a different version.

Interesting.

QuoteDon't particularly want to go down that rabbit hole.

I felt the same way in getting to the bottom of that business with the OK symbol. I am wise to it now but somehow I feel more diminished than enlightened.

QuoteThe diamond ring in itself I'm kind of unclear on.

Perhaps I'm making an assumption and it's supposed to symbolise wealth in general. Who knows with these people? However: https://www.jpost.com/Special-Content/The-Relationship-between-Diamonds-and-The-Jewish-People-585659. That's not a too uncomfortable read, btw, giving as it does some historical perspective regarding Jewish persecution.

a duncandisorderly

this all belongs in the danny baker thread, I reckon. I like cusack, & most of his flicks, but this was an error of judgement.

I don't care for israel's foreign policy, but I also don't care for the knee-jerk leap from that position to anti-semitism, sure we've been round this with corbyn & others; this is the same thing.

phantom_power

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 19, 2019, 05:41:20 PM
this all belongs in the danny baker thread, I reckon. I like cusack, & most of his flicks, but this was an error of judgement.

I don't care for israel's foreign policy, but I also don't care for the knee-jerk leap from that position to anti-semitism, sure we've been round this with corbyn & others; this is the same thing.

But then also some people who either want to get offended for the sake of it or have some other agenda, or are genuinely mistaken, will conflate anti-Israel sentiment with antisemitism so it can be hard to unpick

biggytitbo

The phrase is fine enough, but not sure how he missed the image. He needs to get in his fucking limo sharpish and get out of here.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 19, 2019, 05:51:02 PM
The phrase is fine enough, but not sure how he missed the image. He needs to get in his fucking limo sharpish and get out of here.

he's been in some proper shit recently. I bet he hasn't got a limo these days- he'll be driving himself.