Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Toy Story 4

Started by Head Gardener, June 19, 2019, 10:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

The early reviews are glowing but it looks like I'll be going on my own as my 14 year old laughed in my face when I suggested he might like to go with me.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I'll go with you if you like.

I'm not pretending to be your 14-year-old child.

Again.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

How the fuck's this film going to work? The kid involved in the original 'll be about 40 now.

samadriel

They were all given to another kid when the original went away to college, GENIUS.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Looks like I should have "toy"ed with the idea of seeing the sequels made to the original "Toy Story" film, eh, readers?

idunnosomename

Quote from: samadriel on June 19, 2019, 02:14:20 PM
They were all given to another kid when the original went away to college, GENIUS.
that was 9 years ago. isnt she going to be a teenager now?

Dr Rock

Damn a plot hole in the otherwise water-tight Toy Story set up.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 19, 2019, 06:17:06 PM
Well the new film is all about the toys going to college with her.

Mr Potatohead joins a frat house and starts doing beer bongs. Rex the dinosaur becomes the Dean's worst enemy and keeps playing hilarious pranks on him. Bo-Peep gets a depressive roommate who she feels guilty about not inviting to cool parties. And Buzz Lightyear spends his time hanging out on the "quad" in shorts and t-shirt playing frisbee.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on June 19, 2019, 08:26:17 PM
Well the new film is all about the toys going to college with her.

Mr Potatohead joins a frat house and starts doing beer bongs. Rex the dinosaur becomes the Dean's worst enemy and keeps playing hilarious pranks on him. Bo-Peep gets a depressive roommate who she feels guilty about not inviting to cool parties. And Buzz Lightyear spends his time hanging out on the "quad" in shorts and t-shirt playing frisbee.

Wow, I've read the script and you actually nailed most of those.

The primary story arc is about Woody getting left behind from the other toys because the college revoked his admission after discovering that he was using Speak N Spell to say the n-word.

chveik

phantom_power

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 19, 2019, 06:17:06 PM

She was lost in the snap

Icehaven

I can't decide if making an entirely animated film series consistent with the passage of real time is admirable or just fucking stupid.

St_Eddie

Quote from: icehaven on June 20, 2019, 01:53:43 PM
I can't decide if making an entirely animated film series consistent with the passage of real time is admirable or just fucking stupid.

It's admirably stupid.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: icehaven on June 20, 2019, 01:53:43 PM
an entirely animated film series consistent with the passage of real time

It's not; in the first movie Andy is 10 and in Toy Story 3 which came out 16 years later, he's only 7 years older.

Edit: Also according to the plot description on Wikipedia this movie is set 2 years after the last one.

Replies From View

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 20, 2019, 04:32:11 PM
It's not; in the first movie Andy is 10 and in Toy Story 3 which came out 16 years later, he's only 7 years older.

Edit: Also according to the plot description on Wikipedia this movie is set 2 years after the last one.

Surely the toys will look far too old to play their parts by now.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Replies From View on June 20, 2019, 05:17:41 PM
Surely the toys will look far too old to play their parts by now.

They just use the same technology they used to digitally de-age Sam Jackson in Captain Marvel.

DukeDeMondo

I didn't think it was a good idea at all, this Toy Story 4. But. There you go. I was wrong.

It's really fucking good. Visually it is stunning. Myself and the wee girl in my life watched the second one again last night, and it really is astounding how far they've come. I mean the second one still looks great, but compare the dog in that to the cat in this, for example. Christ. And the rain, and the tarmac, and the gravel... The rendering is jaw dropping. It's a masterpiece, far as all of that goes.

The plot I wasn't so hot on. Really it's just taking another run at stuff they already perfected in the previous films. Another "Woody got lost! We need to find Woody!" sort of story. Another quest in that line. And Forky not realising he's a toy. Basically just Buzz Lightyear's introduction all over again, innit. And I didn't find the emotional beats anywhere near as affecting as they were in Toy Story 3. There's nothing comparable to that scene with the incinerator, for example. But it's still spellbinding. The long "take" that stays with Woody and Forky as they walk along the side of the road in the dark... Fuck me. It's beautiful.

And the ending. Brave and unexpected but hugely satisfying.

So it's really good, after all. But come on, no Toy Story 5. Four pictures this good in a row is just fucking asking for trouble.

Replies From View

Would it be fair to say that this is more of an 'episode' of Toy Story rather than a worthy continuation of the original trilogy?

I'd say it's definitely pitched as a finale and I can't imagine any way they can continue. But I thought that after 3.

DukeDeMondo

I wouldn't say that. It does pick up where 3 left off and although it follows some over-familiar narrative pathways it ultimately allows things to develop in really unexpected directions. It definitely feels like a continuation. And maybe a conclusion. It would be quite brave of them to end it here, I think. But I don't reckon they will.

EDIT: I was responding to Replies, but yeah, what worldsgreatestsinner said there.

EDIT AGAIN: And it really can't be stressed enough, just how beautiful this thing is.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I just realised that Toy Story 2 was 20 years ago.

TWENTY!!!

bgmnts

Toy Story 3 was the PERFECT ending to it.

The PERFECT ending.

PERFECT.

PER

FECT.

Fucking greedy uninspired cunts.

Yeah, there's no denying this is gorgeously made and the new characters are all really fun but I couldn't escape the feeling it didn't need to exist.

peanutbutter

I'd say under the context that nothing popular is ever guaranteed of fully ending ever again, especially if it's by Disney, the best way to view the turnaround from Toy Story 3 is that the John Lasseter trilogy were lucky enough to have gotten what at least felt like a conclusive ending.

Part of me is wondering if the plan is to give this a conclusive ending to make way for the inevitable live action remake.

Replies From View

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on June 21, 2019, 09:36:46 PM
Part of me is wondering if the plan is to give this a conclusive ending to make way for the inevitable live action remake.

But they already had a conclusive ending in Toy Story 3 unless the intention now is to kill all the characters in Toy Story 5.

I meant with the ending of 4. I'm wondering if the intention was one last film with the  original cast, close off their story, then reboot it in live action.

idunnosomename

of course Don Rickles is dead now, if Hanks or Allen carks it, well

Just waiting what Pixar will do when John Ratzenberger inevitably shuffles off his mortal coil.

peanutbutter

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on June 21, 2019, 09:36:46 PM
I've just looked up the plot, so my read on what's happening with the ending I've skimmed over is they're splitting the groups to diversify the brand some, they'll do a film in the Toy Story world around Buzz, maybe another around Woody, maybe one around whatever this fork thing is... try to find ways to introduce new younger voices to branch out into so they're less dependent on the living cast. If it all fails they can always still just do a Toy Story 5

Head Gardener